fawkes_mulder

Buddy Reed -- OF Padres

Deserves at least a thread as a toolsy guy who may be either off to a hot start or in the midst of a breakout.

50 raw / 70 speed per Fangraphs.

Made an appearance today on Baseball Prospectus Monday Morning 10 Pack. BP likes him too. In pertinent part, 

Reed is the sort of toolsy athlete you hope can put everything together and become a potential star.

article -- subscription needed

That's exactly what most of us are doing with prospecting, taking calculated gambles on the guys with star potential.

Batting .413 with 4 HR, 6 doubles, and 5 SB to start the year. 3.1 BB% v. 24.6% K.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 3

The big thing, as always with a lot of guys like this, is the development of the hit tool

I've seen some positive stuff since his hot start, but it's hard to shake some evaluators saying.he needs to completely retool his swing in order to succeed at higher levels

Reed was seen as a top 10 MLB draft talent at one point, but those concerns really dropped him

Nice to see he's off to a hot start....let's see what happens from here. Cautions optimism

• Like 4

This kid has got to be on some top 100 lists by the end of the year, .921 ops with 33 SB so far this year in High A, and selected to the futures game as a rep for the Padres.

He’s fairly old for his level.  Until he shows he can do this in AA I don’t think he will make any Top 100s, but could be a good guy to gamble on right now.

The swing looks fine to me. If anything he could probably just work on controlling the strike zone a little better and work more walks/deeper counts. If he can do that the sky is the limit. I think right now the speed is a plus for sure, he is good with the glove, and has shown that he can drive the ball to all fields. Looks like a good guy to keep an eye on as he goes under the radar.