Carlos Correa

Ronald Acuna 2018 Outlook

10 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Who picks up a 20-year-old in a k-league? 20-year-olds that don't strike out are unicorns.

How about 19 year olds like soto?

2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Name the one exception. Congrats on the most predictable post.

Brilliant.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Who picks up a 20-year-old in a k-league? 20-year-olds that don't strike out are unicorns.

I play in leagues that count K's and I almost never draft or make moves based on K rate. Many of the top fantasy players have high K rates and I'm not going to avoid them because of it. Players with good K rates grow on trees, elite prospects do not. I'll take my chances with the talent.

Edited by fletch44
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

I play in leagues that count K's and I almost never draft or make moves based on K rate. Many of the top fantasy players have high K rates and I'm not going to avoid them because of it. Players with good K rates grow on trees, elite prospects do not. I'll take my chances with the talent.

Which completely makes sense, but you at least know what you're getting in to.

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

And yes, I know Juan Soto is striking out at an insanely low rate. I'm a big fan of his and have owned him for a few years in my dynasty. He's a damn unicorn; nobody does what he is doing. He is (or at least recently was) on pace for the best WAR season ever for a 19-year-old. He's a unicorn, like I said.

3 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Pick up? Hell I kept him. If I stayed away from players because of Ks I couldn’t field a team in 2018 MLB. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Back this week. Anyone excited? 

Given the amount of injuries I have. Yes

• Thanks 1

In yesterday's 1st game of the double header he went 1-3 with a walk, an rbi, a stolen base and only one K. Snitker has said he's not looking for results out of Acuna on his rehab stint but rather just wanting to make sure he's healthy. The SB is definitely a good sign but beat writers close to the Braves seem to think he won't get the call until Friday. The Stripers have another game tonight so let's hope he has no setbacks and is back out there again today. When he does come back to the Braves Snitker has also said that he would hit somewhere near the middle of the lineup because he really likes what he's seeing out of Inciarte and Albies in the 1-2 spots. I'm curious where he hits but it sounds like it could take a slight hit on his runs but could definitely be a big boost in run production. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

hopefully batting him after Freeman will free him up to run more....his RBI chances should increase as well, and if he runs, hopefully that offsets some of the runs he would lose by not hitting in front of Freeman.

Net-net, I believe it's better for his value to drop to 4th-5th if it means he will get more green lights.  Enciarte hasn't run at all since moving up to the top of the order. 

Edited by AJdude
  • Like 3

Nice 2 run shot, ty Acuna!

• Like 4

Too quiet in here. While everybody was raging online about Cousins and the Warriors, this happened...

• Like 2

Not only did he give them the lead with this two run hr but he also came up big in the 4th when the game was tied at 2. He hit a double scoring Suzuki to give them a 3-2 lead. I love seeing this kid come up big when the pressure is on. 

Both of his HR since coming off the DL went to right/right-center (opposite field for him), and were not particularly well struck, but he just has that raw power. 

I'm not loving the fact that he wasn't even past first base on either of those homers by the time they landed in the stands, however. If Pham or Judge get their gloves on those balls and keep them in the yard, Acuna might have had trouble making it to 2B safely. If he's running hard out of the box they're both triples either way. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 7:23 AM, mjb03003 said:

Both of his HR since coming off the DL went to right/right-center (opposite field for him), and were not particularly well struck, but he just has that raw power. 

I'm not loving the fact that he wasn't even past first base on either of those homers by the time they landed in the stands, however. If Pham or Judge get their gloves on those balls and keep them in the yard, Acuna might have had trouble making it to 2B safely. If he's running hard out of the box they're both triples either way. 

I didn't watch the game, but watched the video replay; he definitely was admiring that shot to start the HR trot.  I agree, hopefully someone in the dugout will continue to remind him of that. But Judge was very close at bring that HR back and the end of result of the game could have been different. Glad he did not catch it though.

Acuna getting pulled after legging out an infield single.  Walking under his own power with a slight limp but looks like we dodged a bullet.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, HesSoTaguchi said:

Acuna getting pulled after legging out an infield single.  Walking under his own power with a slight limp but looks like we dodged a bullet.

He's gonna be out a few days I bet - and if it's a strained hammy - now he's gonna be running around with previous knee and leg injuries :( bad or not, you don't want injuries to add up and start becoming chronic issues

Edited by jahweedum

Posted (edited)

Yeah - definitely not ideal and they are going to use the kids gloves with him, but what the announcers originally described as 'hobbling' right after he cleared first base quickly diminished and if you didn't know he had gotten injured you probably wouldn't have noticed a change in gait as he walked to the dugout.  I'm obviously trying to be optimistic but hopefully we hear something soon.  

EDIT:  Okay in hindsight you can notice him favoring a leg but still doesn't look terrible so will hold out hope.  :)

Edited by HesSoTaguchi