Wallscrapers

Jesus Aguilar 2018 Outlook

What are the opinions on this guy now that more playing time is available with Thames going down. Is he strictly a platoon option. 

Had him on multiple teams going into this week. Thought he played more often looking at his past games.  Dropped him when I saw he wasn't in the lineup for the first game of the week.  Will keep an eye on him might need him on one team.

Would be pretty interested if he starts getting closer to full-time ABs.

I'm not sure what's going on with Braun and his back, but he could also end up playing 1B.

His BABIP is pretty high right now but everyday at bats in the Milwaukee lineup deserves an add

Aguilar doesn't have drastic platoon splits, in fact in the minors he was often better vs. R, so that shouldn't be a concern.

The BABIP is obviously unsustainable and the 12.8% K rate probably is too, but last year he slashed 265/331/505 while whiffing 30% of the time. His AAA K rate from 2014-16 was around 20% so I'm hoping he can settle somewhere around there.

His power is legit, his park is HR-friendly and he'll be in a good lineup. I'm on board.

The beat guy tweeted that Jesus is the starter now. (sorry I can't embed the tweet)

He's gonna play at least 5 games a week and he can hit.

Aguilar is expected to be the Brewers' primary first baseman while Eric Thames (thumb) is sidelined, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Aguilar is off to an outstanding start at the plate this season, producing a .429/.487/.629 slash line in his first 35 at-bats. Things now get even better, as he's expected to play close to every day with Thames expected to miss at least six weeks (Ryan Braun is also in the mix). His absurd .483 BABIP suggests some regression will take place when he plays regularly, but his low 12.8 percent strikeout rate is a sign that Aguilar has turned a page this season and could be worth owning in most leagues now that he's got a clear path to playing time.

batting 3rd today, but i guess will be hard to get playing time between braun and santana?

2 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

He cracked that 3-run homer

Are you seeing into the future?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so much for jesus being the mostly FT 1B in thames' absence.  thames has missed 4 games and aguilar has started 2 and sat 2.  and it hasn't been L/R splits either.  just a straight split of the job.  still have too many guys in OF/1B rotation between Cain, Yelich, Santana, Braun, Aguilar.  I had picked Aguilar up based on the fact that Brewers beat writer seemed to think Aguilar was going to get most of the starts, but it looks like it will be a 50-50 split with Braun at 1B.  Understand that Braun gets hurt a lot, but until that happens or unless Aguilar gets red hot soon, probably not enough ABs to justify keeping him unless you're in a very deep league or have deep benches.  

Edited by swingbatter

Not saying anyone here.  This has more to do with so called experts.  I never understood why people assumed Aguilar would be a good pickup since Santana is obviously going to play regularly in the OF now after last season's production and Braun has to play 1B then.

51 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Not saying anyone here.  This has more to do with so called experts.  I never understood why people assumed Aguilar would be a good pickup since Santana is obviously going to play regularly in the OF now after last season's production and Braun has to play 1B then.

yeah, agreed.  it was more of my shock that the brewers beat writer (Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) seemed so over the top confident in his tweets right after the thames injury that aguilar was going to get the lions' share of 1b starts.  made me think he knew something none of us did.  unless there is yet another injury, aguilar still looks to be on the outside looking in, no matter what the beat writer said.  

Edited by swingbatter

Is there something I'm missing on this guy? his ownership on yahoo is so low.....he seems to always hit....and is hitting in good spots in the order.

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Is there something I'm missing on this guy? his ownership on yahoo is so low.....he seems to always hit....and is hitting in good spots in the order.

Uncertainty in playing time is about the only thing holding back the flood gates. I think his bat busts through those gates though. 

Yeah - it’s sporadic playing time, though I’d Counsel would commit to him as an everyday 1B, I’d imagine he’d be a very solid fantasy guy. 

He’s started three straight, but sat five of the last nine before that. 

Is there an explanation for why he’s started the last three in a row?

13 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Is there an explanation for why he’s started the last three in a row?

Yes, Braun was dinged up.

With Cain and Yelich locked in, and with Thames out for a while, there's 2 spots to play Domingo Santana, Braun and Aguilar, with Aguilar getting the least amount of play. With one hurt, the other two become full-time players.

No love for this guy after his game tonight?

Looks like he's been a good source of XBH's of late and sandwiched between Yelich and Shaw won't hurt either.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story