Wallscrapers

Jesus Aguilar 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, MackAttack007 said:

Really regret not picking this cat up. Thought it was just a hot streak. 

It could still be just a hot streak, but there are some signs that he is legitimately breaking out. The average is supported by an increase in line drives, but the Babip is a little high and he could see at worst his average dropping to .280. He's definitely a hold and ride the hot streak and see where he goes for the rest of the season.  

On 5/28/2018 at 4:26 PM, MackAttack007 said:

Really regret not picking this cat up. Thought it was just a hot streak. 

He's a cat?

On 5/28/2018 at 5:49 PM, Picard56 said:

It could still be just a hot streak, but there are some signs that he is legitimately breaking out. The average is supported by an increase in line drives, but the Babip is a little high and he could see at worst his average dropping to .280. He's definitely a hold and ride the hot streak and see where he goes for the rest of the season.  

I believe in his bat, he looks a legit power hitter who won't kill your AVG and can walk. The PT is what's in doubt, hopefully the Brewers are smart enough to keep giving him regular ABs. But I can't see him being an every day regular when everyone's back without a trade, so more useful in dailies where can move him in/out lineup.

48 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

He's a cat?

I believe in his bat, he looks a legit power hitter who won't kill your AVG and can walk. The PT is what's in doubt, hopefully the Brewers are smart enough to keep giving him regular ABs. But I can't see him being an every day regular when everyone's back without a trade, so more useful in dailies where can move him in/out lineup.

Yup, that's really the only question mark is how are they gonna get Thames in the lineup and will it eat into Aguilar's playing time. If I was the manager I'd sit Santana more often than not to get spell Thames in the OF and Aguilar at 1st. But then there is Ryan Braun as well... So it's still kind of messy. Cream always rises to the top, so if he continues to hit he will not have problems with pt.

3 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Yup, that's really the only question mark is how are they gonna get Thames in the lineup and will it eat into Aguilar's playing time. If I was the manager I'd sit Santana more often than not to get spell Thames in the OF and Aguilar at 1st. But then there is Ryan Braun as well... So it's still kind of messy. Cream always rises to the top, so if he continues to hit he will not have problems with pt.

Since Braun came back Santana has only played in 2 of the last 6 games so hes been sitting plenty. Unfortunately, when Thames does come back another player will get crunched for pt.

16 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Since Braun came back Santana has only played in 2 of the last 6 games so hes been sitting plenty. Unfortunately, when Thames does come back another player will get crunched for pt.

And unfortunately, that player will probably be Aguilar. 

20 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

And unfortunately, that player will probably be Aguilar. 

happy then sad delayed reaction GIF

Adam McCalvy
‏@AdamMcCalvy

As expected, Eric Thames was cleared to resume hitting. Shouldn't be long before he's out on a rehab assignment. No, I still don't know what they will do at 1B if Aguilar is still slugging when Thames is ready. They'll probably split time and Twitter will totally freak out.

Monster game and a big blast to right. Looking totally legit, they have to keep his bat in their lineup. They are playing to compete this year, so no option.

Does everybody forget that Thames was mashing before he went down? Both Aguilar and Thames have a wRC+ of 154 on the season. Thames is the better defender as well. Thames also has more major league service time/plate appearances which managers put a lot of weight on. 

This will inevitably be some kind of time share. 

Then maybe they should find a way to get and keep both on the field. Over the last 30 days, Aguilar is pacing for .271-102-48-138-0. Sorry, but you don't put that on the bench unless he starts to slump. 

Personally, I don't think the MLB service time/PAs will make much difference. Thames and Aguilar were both brand new to Milwaukee last year after Thames spent time in Japan and away from MLB. To me, that part is a non-issue. 

Craig Counsell told reporters that Thames will see time in the outfield as well as time at first base when he returns - rotoworld blurb.

Looks like Aguilar is gonna sit more... Dang

3 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Craig Counsell told reporters that Thames will see time in the outfield as well as time at first base when he returns - rotoworld blurb.

Looks like Aguilar is gonna sit more... Dang

Well shouldn't really effect this week given he is just starting his rehab assignment today.  And the same blurb also says Aguilar will "stick in a semi-everyday" role.  Given that this guy was a WW pickup, still should be production there.

57 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Well shouldn't really effect this week given he is just starting his rehab assignment today.  And the same blurb also says Aguilar will "stick in a semi-everyday" role.  Given that this guy was a WW pickup, still should be production there.

semi-everyday was from the writer, not counsel.

35 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

semi-everyday was from the writer, not counsel.

Technically the entire thing was from the writer.  He didn’t use any direct quotes, nor was it a video to prove what Counsel did or did not say exactly.

I understand Thames was hitting well before he was injured, but they've got to find a way to get Aguilar ABs every day...as a starter, not a semi-starter. 

All this guy does is mash. I don't see him sitting much when Thames returns aside from a day off at most a week. Brewers will be active with trades and Braun needs plenty of days off. Cain will also sit once a week. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

20 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

All this guy does is mash. I don't see him sitting much when Thames if he continues to mash returns aside from a day off at most a week. Brewers will be active with trades and Braun needs plenty of days off. Cain will also sit once a week. 

(FTFY, at least IMO). 

He's got to keep hitting to say the least. There's a chance some regression is coming. I like that he hit his HR today to the Opposite field. 

Thames is officially coming back tomorrow. Anyone a little concerned that he gets benched half the games this week? They really have a log-jam of players between Thames, Santana, Braun and Aguilar between 1st base and 1 OF spot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Thames is officially coming back tomorrow. Anyone a little concerned that he gets benched half the games this week? They really have a log-jam of players between Thames, Santana, Braun and Aguilar between 1st base and 1 OF spot.

Of that group isn't Santana gonna be the sit?  Since the other 3 are strong power bats this season.

24 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Of that group isn't Santana gonna be the sit?  Since the other 3 are strong power bats this season.

Most likely, but that still only leaves 2 spots for 3 guys. If Braun was injured things would be a little more clearer as to playing time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Most likely, but that still only leaves 2 spots for 3 guys. If Braun was injured things would be a little more clearer as to playing time.

If there are six games in a week, I fully expect all three to each play 4 games...something along the lines of Braun 4 in the OF, Aguilar 4 at 1b, and Thames 2/2 at OF/1b. I'd also think the three will each get 1-2 PH ABs each week. 

If it plays out like this, I won't exactly like it as a Aguilar owner. But l, I don't know that I can realistically expect any better. 

Aguilar out of the lineup tonight with Thames at 1B.  Looks like it's already a strict platoon with Aguilar getting the short side unless Thames struggles.  I can't afford to roster Aguilar if that's the case.  May stick it out one more day to see....

How good is the Brewers lineup that a guy with an .890 OPS can't find a spot in it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

How good is the Brewers lineup that a guy with an .890 OPS can't find a spot in it?

Thames had a 976 OPS before going down, Braun is super hot right now and Yelich and Cain have been consistent top 25 OF for the entire season. Only so many spots to try to squeeze him in.