Wallscrapers

Jesus Aguilar 2018 Outlook

What's with the civility?  This is the internet, guys.

I know Braun has been nicked...though perhaps he has fallen to third in this quartet (with Santana a distant fourth).  At the very least, I feel we can be more bullish on Aguilar than we were even a week ago.  He will get plenty of AB's and they will be high value ones given his spot in the lineup/strength of the lineup.

As someone who's not followed this situation as closely, what is the realistic expectation moving forward?  You'd think with how much Aguilar is hitting that he'd be forcing everyday PT, but that's certainly not been the case since Thames return.  Question is where does it go from here?  I've read the last few pages of the thread, and maybe we don't have any clear idea, but are most of you owners just betting on talent forcing the PT?

3 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I've read the last few pages of the thread, and maybe we don't have any clear idea, but are most of you owners just betting on talent forcing the PT?

It's easier to say "talent will force the PT" when it's 4 guys for 3 spots or whatever, but when we're looking at 4 guys for 2 spots (Yelich and Cain aren't sitting for anyone if they're healthy), including some situations that would play pretty nicely as straight platoons, then I think it's going to be less about talent than about current production.  Like, we all know Braun's talented, but if he's gimpy out there and starts to not hit, he could get more than his usual amount of days off.  Meanwhile Domingo has a lot of talent but the results haven't been there, and he's been the odd man out on most days, sometimes not even coming off the bench.

Counsell's going to get Aguilar and Thames in as much as he can right now, but the minute one of them hits a cold streak, we could see Domingo get more of a look to see if he heats up.  Short of an injury, trade, or a surprise demotion of Domingo (he's got one option left) I think this is going to be kind of an ugly situation when these hitters inevitably cool off a bit.

• Like 3

Power to RCF too, the guy is a proper masher. Reminds me a lot of Nelly Cruz.

If only he played in the AL too, but he is much better than Thames right now and should be playing every day. Platoon Braun and Thames in the OF and bench Domingo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

What Counsell is doing is working perfectly. It's just not ideal for fantasy owners. When they get Jimmy Nelson back, they'll be a force to reckon with. 

Meh... This is sort of two different stories. Yes, Counsell is doing well. But platooning Aguilar is not some genius managerial move. It's very clear he needs to be in the middle of that lineup every day. The offense is different with Aguilar in there. 

Jesus "The Real Deal" Aguilar.

Guy reminds me of Cecil Fielder.  Just pounds the baseball.

4 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Power to RCF too, the guy is a proper masher. Reminds me a lot of Nelly Cruz.

If only he played in the AL too, but he is much better than Thames right now and should be playing every day. Platoon Braun and Thames in the OF and bench Domingo.

Couldn't agree more.  People can say that Thames is solid, but high OPS aside, I've never been that impressed with him after his initial return to MLB.  The new Jesus Aguilar is a difference maker, and it's not some fluky small sample size thing either.  He's been doing this all season.  The HR's took a little while to come, but they have and he hasn't slowed down since (I'll call his couple of bad games here and there breathers).

He hits LHP even better than RHP, which basically means he's killing both.  If platooning him with Thames continues, then I definitely agree that this is not some genius thing that Counsell is doing.  He's legitimately been their best hitter this season, so sitting your best hitter for more than just a routine day off is far from genius.  And this is coming from somebody who unfortunately does not own Aguilar.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

Santana sent down. Guess that ends that debate. :wub:

• Like 1

Santana wasn't getting many starts, but he did get a few, at the expense of Aguilar.  My guess is that Aguilar will start most of the time, at least until he cools off.  Thames will probably be 100% against righties, sit against most lefties.  Braun (when healthy) will go against lefties and maybe half of righties starts.  So Cain and Yellich 95% of starts. Aguilar 80%, Thames 70% and Braun 70% for the 4 positions plus the occasional DH.   

At this point, baseballs that haven't even been taken out of their boxes yet are openly planning a revolt so they can avoid death at the hands of the mighty Jesus.

• Haha 5

On 6/24/2018 at 11:20 AM, SkinsNoles21 said:

Benched. Why do baseball managers insist on making it difficult on themselves. 

Because front offices and managers always do the vet respect dance and keep the aging Brauns of the world eating into the ABs of their real stars.  They are always several years behind the curve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Because front offices and managers always do the vet respect dance and keep the aging Brauns of the world eating into the ABs of their real stars.  They are always several years behind the curve.

Yea, it's the human element fantasy ballers don't have to deal with. 

You have to remember, these are human beings, with emotions, and strong entrenched relationships with their organization. Especially guys  like Braun who've been around the organization for a lot of years. 

Every aging/banged up player thinks he "still has it" and they can even become more on edge/sensitive when younger players are coming up taking their ABs. Then you have managers who are trying to juggle the constant tug of war between fielding the best possible team, keeping players motivated/hungry, and their personal relationships with all involved.

In fantasy we don't know these guys from a hole in the ground. Every guys is one click away from being on waivers/on the bench. There's no human element to consider.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 7

one of the best waiver wire pickups of the year i think.. Giving owners 2nd round value right now and numbers are looking freddie freeman like. No signs of slowing down either! He needs a nickname