steve9347

Jung Ho Kang 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)

2015: 126 games; .287 BA. 15 HR and 58 RBI (Third in ROY race)

2016: 103 games; .255 BA. 21 HR and 62 RBI

2017: N/A

2018: May be hard to find PT if doesn't mash quick. Could be upgrade over Freese vs RHP's. Moran will keep his platoon slot vs. LHP and has pedigree / age / upside adv. over Kang.  Harrison back swinging at 2B, and Jung Ho Kang probably not athletic enough anymore for SS. Add in injury concerns (torn MCL in 2015) and no speed; low floor, medium upside add in deeper 14+ leagues. IMO...

Edited by Milbscout

7 minutes ago, Milbscout said:

2015: 126 games; .287 BA. 15 HR and 58 RBI (Third in ROY race)

2016: 103 games; .255 BA. 21 HR and 62 RBI

2017: N/A

2018: May be hard to find PT if doesn't mash quick. Could be upgrade over Freese vs RHP's. Moran will keep his platoon slot vs. LHP and has pedigree / age / upside adv. over Kang.  Harrison back swinging at 2B, and Jung Ho Kang probably not athletic enough anymore for SS. Add in injury concerns (torn MCL in 2015) and no speed; low floor, medium upside add in deeper 14+ leagues. IMO...

good reminder, i had forgot about this guy.

his BABIP in 2016 was .273 vs .344 in 2015. not enough of a sample on him to get a true feeling for where his BABIP should be, but maybe his true talent is somewhere in the middle, meaning his expected BA should be between .255 and .287.

his OBP in both previous seasons was over .350. he was on pace for 30+ homeruns in 2016 with 6-8 steals. if he's anywhere close to his previous numbers (not a given), they'll find a spot for him to get regular ABs.

current blurb: RotoWire News: Kang (suspension) is at the point in his "spring training" where he will play back-to-back games followed by an off day and then three straight games, Adam Berry of MLB.com reports. (5/30/2018)

2 for 4 with a grand slam, 4 RBIs and 1 walk tonight

Posted (edited)

It's mainly a matter of whether they are willing to sit Moran once Kang is ready.  I'm not sure they are, but Kang could obviously force their hand if he starts doing what he had in the past with them.  While Moran has impressed in spurts, it's not like he's established or really set the league on fire.

If Kang just ends up being the right handed platoon partner at 3B, then he will have little value.

Edited by KilloWertz

Unless Moran totally falls apart he isn't getting benched for Kang. Kang will most likely platoon when he's back but even then there's already Freese and Sean Rodriguez for that. So there's going to need to be some moves.

But first I think we need to see Kang hit non A ball pitching to see if he'll even have value as a platoon player 

5 hours ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Unless Moran totally falls apart he isn't getting benched for Kang. Kang will most likely platoon when he's back but even then there's already Freese and Sean Rodriguez for that. So there's going to need to be some moves.

But first I think we need to see Kang hit non A ball pitching to see if he'll even have value as a platoon player 

What makes you so confident that Moran won't get benched? Just curious

By the way. I forgot to mention that Kang did start at SS last night.

7 hours ago, mpbaseball22 said:

True, not unless Kang goes crazy and forces their hand.  Rodriguez really isn't that much of an issue since he can be a backup almost everywhere else.  Freese is, but he sucks, so even if he's just a backup at 1B, no loss.  They will bring Kang up at some point, so it's either send a reliever down or cut Freese as I'd rather they kept Rodriguez.  Maybe St. Louis will want Freese back...

You are right that Kang has to face more than A-Ball pitching.  He did get cut for sucking before the season, so obviously there's no guarantees, but it's not like he's been out of MLB that long to have completely lost it.  Still, several things would probably have to happen for him to have much value this season.  Oddly enough, I'll actually be glad to see him back, but now they actually have somebody standing in his way.

Not directed towards you, but I don't see Kang playing much of any SS in the Majors.  They already stopped playing him their permanently before he ran his car off the road because he doesn't have good enough range to play it at the MLB level.

3 hours ago, rlaalsrb said:

What makes you so confident that Moran won't get benched? Just curious

Moran has been pretty decent this year. His fielding isn't great but I can't imagine they'd bench him for 31 year old Kang. Being part of the Gerrit Cole trade probably gives Moran a bigger leash than normal as well. But Moran hasn't started against any lefties so Kang should get all the starts against LHP at least

And they said on the radio that Kang was going to play SS to work up his overall range, at least that's what someone told me. I doubt he's capable of SS anymore but getting starts over Mercer, or even Harrison at 2B would be a much easier route than over Moran. 

Posted (edited)

I think he's definitely worth a stash in a 14+ league. 

Edited by hoops886

Jung Ho Kang went 4-for-5 with a homer and three RBI in his third rehab game Monday with High-A Bradenton.

Kang turned in an 0-for-3 with a pair of strikeouts in his first game with Bradenton on Friday, but he went 2-for-4 with a homer and four RBI on Saturday and is now 6-for-12 with seven RBI through three minor league games. He's also drawn three walks. The 31-year-old should soon advance a level and would appear on track to join the Pirates' active roster by the middle of June. He's worth stashing in most standard fantasy leagues.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:01 AM, KilloWertz said:

True, not unless Kang goes crazy and forces their hand.  Rodriguez really isn't that much of an issue since he can be a backup almost everywhere else.  Freese is, but he sucks, so even if he's just a backup at 1B, no loss.  They will bring Kang up at some point, so it's either send a reliever down or cut Freese as I'd rather they kept Rodriguez.  Maybe St. Louis will want Freese back...

You are right that Kang has to face more than A-Ball pitching.  He did get cut for sucking before the season, so obviously there's no guarantees, but it's not like he's been out of MLB that long to have completely lost it.  Still, several things would probably have to happen for him to have much value this season.  Oddly enough, I'll actually be glad to see him back, but now they actually have somebody standing in his way.

Not directed towards you, but I don't see Kang playing much of any SS in the Majors.  They already stopped playing him their permanently before he ran his car off the road because he doesn't have good enough range to play it at the MLB level.

wait, kang didn't get cut, did he? he hasn't played since 2016 and he certainly didn't suck..

Ya when did Kang get cut? He was suspended and then couldn't get a work visa.

Kang got cut from his Dominican league team in the winter because he was performing poorly

Hahaha how awful do you have to be playing to get cut from winter ball??

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Hahaha how awful do you have to be playing to get cut from winter ball??

.143/.219/.202 over 96PA with 8BB, 31K

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

.143/.219/.202 over 96PA with 8BB, 31K

Not too bad for somebody that was probably popping pills and drinking everyday or fighting through battle of quitting all of that.  Maybe he’s turned a corner now though.  

Edited by crockies99

On 6/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, mpbaseball22 said:

Moran has been pretty decent this year. His fielding isn't great but I can't imagine they'd bench him for 31 year old Kang. Being part of the Gerrit Cole trade probably gives Moran a bigger leash than normal as well. But Moran hasn't started against any lefties so Kang should get all the starts against LHP at least

And they said on the radio that Kang was going to play SS to work up his overall range, at least that's what someone told me. I doubt he's capable of SS anymore but getting starts over Mercer, or even Harrison at 2B would be a much easier route than over Moran. 

maybe not, but probably over jordy mercer at SS

Posted (edited)

Don't care if he sucked in dominican winter ball, doubt he gave a sh*t mixed in with all of his other issues. He's got a shot to play in the bigs again and has shown he can still hit so far in A ball...hope he can turn it around and mash for my fantasy team. You don't forget how to hit after missing a season.

Hopefully he can find a spot in the starting lineup, keep on raking on your minor league assignment and it'll happen.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cdd10 said:

maybe not, but probably over jordy mercer at SS

I don't see him getting much time at SS.  They already stopped using him at SS when he was playing regularly with the Pirates since he doesn't have the range to be that great of a SS in the majors.  I also don't see them giving up on Mercer unless it's for one of their SS prospects in the minors.

Honestly, it's going to be rough for Kang to get regular playing time even if he goes bonkers in A-ball.  Maybe over time if he gets back to what he was and Moran regresses, but definitely not right away.  He may start the first game when he re-joins Pirates, but I don't see him getting to play much right away against RHP.  Obviously I could be wrong, but it would be a big surprise.

DHing today 

Currently 1 for 3 with a solo HR.

I wonder how much longer before he moves up to Altoona

Another homer as j_cis mentioned, I am very intrigued to see how this plays out. Hope he keeps mashing in the minors and forces their hand.

He’s expected to move up to Triple-A this weekend. Maybe a week or 2 away from being called up if he keeps this up.

0 for 8 with 3 K's in AAA so far. Not what I was hoping for so far lol.

14 minutes ago, KrunK said:

0 for 8 with 3 K's in AAA so far. Not what I was hoping for so far lol.

SSS and still hungover 😂😂