cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

Now officially a pro, the Squanchy thread is back in business:

6’ 230 pounds, 9.25” hand-size, 4.40s forty-yard dash, 41” vertical jump, 225lb 29 reps

Most career touchdowns at Penn State (43)

Most total yards in a single game (358)

Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year 2016 and 2017

Big Ten Running Back of the Year 2016 and 2017

and only Squanchy might have the skillset to lift the curse from the Giants' backfield.

tenor.gif?itemid=9845492

• Like 1

Barkely will become the guy and quick 

Don't love the landing spot.  QB situation will be rough for years, the line sucks, his knock in college was that he tried to do too much (bouncing runs back and forth) behind a bad offensive line, and you wonder if he'll have to do the same in New York.

Barkley is a physical freak and will produce in the NFL for a long time.  I just feel like the situation is pretty poor and caps his upside.

13 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Don't love the landing spot.  QB situation will be rough for years, the line sucks, his knock in college was that he tried to do too much (bouncing runs back and forth) behind a bad offensive line, and you wonder if he'll have to do the same in (Detroit).

The same thing could have been written about Barry Sanders when he was drafted.  

9 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Barry Sanders never got bottled up in college.

9D7ywVT.jpg

Barkley:

gEWInLu.jpg

I don't know what Sanders OL was like, and it's a different game right now.  

I really don't want to be the anti-Saquon guy.  I'm not anti-Saquon.  Again I think he'll be productive for a long time.  Just don't think NYG is a good spot, and don't think hat the Sanders comp is fair.

I like him but not where I think guys are going to grab him in the 1st-2nd rds.  People are looking for zeke 2.0 but overlook the  poor o-line.

i'm more concerned the  coaches get too clever and have a committee type approach in terms of jstew vulturing the goal line work and if the kid doesnt adapt to NFL pass protect like Hunt didnt do then you can start seeing him getting pulled in the hurry up offense. 

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I like him but not where I think guys are going to grab him in the 1st-2nd rds.  People are looking for zeke 2.0 but overlook the  poor o-line.

i'm more concerned the  coaches get too clever and have a committee type approach in terms of jstew vulturing the goal line work and if the kid doesnt adapt to NFL pass protect like Hunt didnt do then you can start seeing him getting pulled in the hurry up offense. 

I agree. I love Squanchy, but drafting him in Round 2 is a gamble until we see performance from him + the entire offense. Will he end up in the top five at season's end? Possible but unlikely. Top 10 is feasible, but the G-Men have been so inept at running the ball it's hard to predict. A comparison to consider might be Gurley 2016, not Gurley 2017. I also see JStew vulturing, assuming the Giants can make it to the 5-yard line. But I like Barkley out of the backfield to create some big plays. Considering he'll go in Round 2, I'll only end up with Barkley in auction, where a potential bargain might open up.

53 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

HUGE difference between a guy at the Barry Sanders' talent level and Barkley.

Part of me wants to fade Barkley due to the presence of Stewart, but I was the guy years ago trumpeting Adrian Peterson in year 1 when many feared Chester Taylor.    They're not the same situation, but I have to think ultimately that if Barkley is as advertised, Stewart's just riding the pine, period.   I dont fear that too much.   

But, the offensive line thing is certainly a big deal and can't be ignored.    We'll see if the Giants can add a player or two to boost the line, but for now, his rushing yards upside is questionable.    However........can he make up for that with receiving volume?    I think that, plus potential for big plays (and therefore enough TD's to make you happy) still make him a RB1.......just not sure yet if we can make him a top 5'er

37 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I really don't want to be the anti-Saquon guy.  I'm not anti-Saquon.  Again I think he'll be productive for a long time.  Just don't think NYG is a good spot, and don't think hat the Sanders comp is fair.

Washington or Houston would've been a better spot, but neither had the draft capital, and Oakland would've been fine as the Raiders could simply jettison their extra / elderly baggage, Tampa Bay interesting yet questionable, but at least Squanchy didn't end up in Seattle.

49 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Barry Sanders never got bottled up in college.

9D7ywVT.jpg

Barkley:

gEWInLu.jpg

I don't know what Sanders OL was like, and it's a different game right now.  

I wasn’t comparing their college production, just the NFL situations they were headed to. 

You could have said this about Sanders whole stint with the Lions:

“QB situation will be rough for years, the line sucks, his knock in college was that he tried to do too much (bouncing runs back and forth) behind a bad offensive line, and you wonder if he'll have to do the same.”

I don't really love the landing spot either, but I think that Barkley's ability in the passing game almost makes him bad team proof. The (very) little success that Paul Perkins had in his Rookie year was with screen passes.

Will take him all day as my 2nd pick if he makes it there, possibly even 8th or 9th overall. I expect instant high end RB1 performances. The situation is not as bad as peeps are making it out to be, he is playing with a quality QB, multiple other skill player weapons, and a good coaching staff. He will be used in the screen game and passing game. A lock for volume providing a stable floor and brimming with upside.

Sanders didn't have bad offensive lines.  At worst average, and at best on the edge of the top 10.  That is taking nothing away from Barry.

I dont mind the spot. The line has improved slightly and has a chance to get better here shortly into the 2nd round. Passing threat should open some lanes. No competition. In terms of dynasty, eli leaving might hurt a bit, but this is a generational talent. Many good rbs suffered through bad qb play and still succeeded. Lets see if saquon can put the team on his back

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Sanders didn't have bad offensive lines.  At worst average, and at best on the edge of the top 10.  That is taking nothing away from Barry.

And the giants with Solder + whoever else we all know they will pick will probably be at least average.    I actually like the spot.  Cleveland or the Jets would have been messy.   

My question is:  is there any reason Barkley won’t get a Zeke-like workload right away? 

2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

And the giants with Solder + whoever else we all know they will pick will probably be at least average.    I actually like the spot.  Cleveland or the Jets would have been messy.   

My question is:  is there any reason Barkley won’t get a Zeke-like workload right away? 

I don't see why you would spend the #2 pick in the draft on a RB and then NOT give him a huge workload.

1 minute ago, tootallball said:

I don't see why you would spend the #2 pick in the draft on a RB and then NOT give him a huge workload.

Plus it’s Gallman and Darkwa as comp?  

Sounding like a first round fantasy pick to me.  Easily 

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Plus it’s Gallman and Darkwa as comp?  

Sounding like a first round fantasy pick to me.  Easily 

They signed JStew.

2nd round would be good value. This guy is going to get a ton of volume. He is already an every down back. 1st round ADP would be risky.

1 hour ago, milesberg said:

HUGE difference between a guy at the Barry Sanders' talent level and Barkley.

Nobody really is at Barry's level.

• Like 2

Just now, Iron-cock said:

They signed JStew.

Jstew doesn’t even exist. Won’t have 50 carries all year.

• Like 3