cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

14 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I had $500 the other day, and I threw it in the trash because it meant so little to me. 

I bought some crypto currency back in January, so pretty much the same thing

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Does the answer even matter?

This is the internet.  We all got sick cars, sexy women, and enough money to feed the needy.

We are always right and never wrong... until you quote us saying what we said a year ago, but even then... we were all probably just misquoted.

yeah that's the part he doesn't seem to get.  My answer is irrelevant because he will beleive what he wants regardless of the answer; although I did answer the question if he bothers to do the math on the cost of dinners at steakhouses in major metropolitan areas like NYC-LA-CHI-MIA;)

1 hour ago, P@ckersFan said:

I disagree. While there is most likely a weak-at best correlation of Buy-In vs Skill, there is most likely some correlation between the ratio of (total income/$ spent on fantasy football) and how good one is at fantasy football (ie the odds of winning). 

If you look at the best daily fantasy players in the world they all put up huge $ on a daily basis because they believe that their system will work and have confidence that their big investment will reap returns. 

Now back to Barkley :)

Sorry, DFS is completely different. The more money you have, the more entries you can have, and the more likely you are to win. 

Just meant in weekly leagues I guess.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, dashoe said:

That's my opinion no different than you using some marketing term of high stakes to infer it means something more than simply a pay to play league.

You see that's the difference between us. I don't qualify things as 'high stakes' as if it has more meaning and weight in terms of draft intelligence.  

I find the correlation between pay and free leagues is not the skill level of the opponent but rather the season long participation and effort.

Also insinuating that somehow I have not played in nor have the means to play in a high stakes league is rather silly. You may as well just ask me to send you a copy of my tax return. I will say this I have participated in leagues that have been the price of several steakhouse dinners with sides and alcohol but those were more for business situations rather than personal enjoyment and thus worth the expense.:)

If you don't think there Is a skill difference between free and pay leagues that is hilarious 

Edited by bhawks489

16 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

If you don't think there Is a skill difference between free and pay leagues that is hilarious 

if you and 11 of your  friends played for $0 or $100 or $1000 the skill level changes?

I think the participation level increases but if I doubt the skill level does. 

if i had to pick a similar analogy there is a certain disdain for fantasy 'experts'  and 'professionals' who are compensated for the material/content/opinions they provide. So do you believe that they are better at fantasy than you because they monetize their opinions and are promoted as 'experts'?

I have personally spent thousands on leagues as well as zero and for bragging rights and my skill level is the same regardless of the amount spent and i approach them all the same with the intention to win.:)

Why is all of this league entry fee talk in this thread? I’m sure there’s a proper place for this debate, but it isn’t in the Saquon Barkley thread.

50 minutes ago, Football Enthusiast said:

Why is all of this league entry fee talk in this thread? I’m sure there’s a proper place for this debate, but it isn’t in the Saquon Barkley thread.

because he’s so good and I showed that his biggest criticism is an over exaggerated nitpick so we’ve developed into this nonsense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Football Enthusiast said:

You got a Pickle Rick avatar and you are asking for relevant posts.

You should be the most off topic one here.

• Haha 3

On 6/8/2018 at 2:37 PM, dashoe said:

if you and 11 of your  friends played for $0 or $100 or $1000 the skill level changes?

I think the participation level increases but if I doubt the skill level does. 

if i had to pick a similar analogy there is a certain disdain for fantasy 'experts'  and 'professionals' who are compensated for the material/content/opinions they provide. So do you believe that they are better at fantasy than you because they monetize their opinions and are promoted as 'experts'?

I have personally spent thousands on leagues as well as zero and for bragging rights and my skill level is the same regardless of the amount spent and i approach them all the same with the intention to win.:)

Participation and skill are the same thing, it makes the league easier to win so they are interchangeable 

Yeah I found 10k in my pocket the other day had to throw it out

am I doing this right?

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 12:45 PM, Football Enthusiast said:

BECAUSE I WANT STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET TO KNOW I’M RICHER THAN THEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Matt Lombardo
‏Verified account @MattLombardoNFL
3m3 minutes ago

Eli Manning to Saquon Barkley on a wheel-route isolated on William Gay. Barkley beats him downfield to the end zone ... #Giants

New York Giants
‏Verified account @Giants
2m2 minutes ago

Eli to @saquon up the sideline! All. Day. Long. 🔥🔥🔥

Posted (edited)

Looks like Halapio may beat out Jones at C (despite ranking #2 in pass protection at C last year) ... apparently has “wowed” the staff and is more of a mauler in the run game 

https://mobile.twitter.com/jordanraanan/status/1006546814110257152

https://mobile.twitter.com/giantswfan/status/1006571337610129410

You guys can carry on with not inviting each other to your respective birthday parties ... just wanted to pass along something football related 

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast
  • Like 1

Giants LT Nate Solder tweaked his leg in a pileup in Thursday's minicamp session.

Coach Pat Shurmur said he believed Solder was "fine," but Solder wasn't quite as optimistic. "I hope so," Solder said when asked if he was OK. "It hurts a little bit, but I don't know. I'm not a doctor. No one said anything to me." Solder was spotted walking without a brace or limp. Solder apparently got rolled up on a non-contact play — as all are in minicamp — and somewhere along the line a brawl broke out (not featuring Solder). The G-Men gave Solder $35 million in free agency. A serious injury would be a devastating blow.
Source: SNY
Jun 14 - 1:52 PM

Uh oh.

4 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Giants LT Nate Solder tweaked his leg in a pileup in Thursday's minicamp session.

Coach Pat Shurmur said he believed Solder was "fine," but Solder wasn't quite as optimistic. "I hope so," Solder said when asked if he was OK. "It hurts a little bit, but I don't know. I'm not a doctor. No one said anything to me." Solder was spotted walking without a brace or limp. Solder apparently got rolled up on a non-contact play — as all are in minicamp — and somewhere along the line a brawl broke out (not featuring Solder). The G-Men gave Solder $35 million in free agency. A serious injury would be a devastating blow.
Source: SNY
Jun 14 - 1:52 PM

Uh oh.

relax drama queens ... he finished practice. 

"The injury to Solder did not appear to be serious, and head coach Pat Shurmur said that after getting an on-field update "I think he's fine." 

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/giants-have-fingers-crossed-after-nate-solders-injury/281243090

After practice, Solder didn't have any visible braces or wraps on his leg, nor was he walking with a limp. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

relax drama queens ... he finished practice. 

"The injury to Solder did not appear to be serious, and head coach Pat Shurmur said that after getting an on-field update "I think he's fine." 

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/giants-have-fingers-crossed-after-nate-solders-injury/281243090

After practice, Solder didn't have any visible braces or wraps on his leg, nor was he walking with a limp. 

Yeah, has he thrown a football yet?

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

I’m just curious if this guy is worth a the 2nd overall pick in a keeper league. 

Probably. All depends on who else is there though and only you know that. 

I'm sure the list is extremely short though 

35 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

... yeah. 

It seems like a no brainer, I’m not worried about usage, just curious will he perform well with this team. 

41 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Probably. All depends on who else is there though and only you know that. 

I'm sure the list is extremely short though 

In about 20 practice drafts (12 person PPR) since the NFL draft, not once did Barkley last to the 2nd round.  

Barkley’s going in the 1st before Hunt and Fournette.

Rashaad Penny is late 3rd/early 4th and 100x better value.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:36 AM, Gohawks said:

Trying to get the Barkley conversation back over here where it belongs.

This is the number I was attempting to reference in the DJ thread.

57th out of 58 RBs. If he "runs strong" or is so amazing at breaking tackles, then how is this number possible? Dude crumbles if you hit him at the LOS. It just doesn't make sense. Dude put up lineman strength at the combine bench press. 

My guess would be that he's an incredible athlete, and if he gets through the first wave or gets outside, it's game on. When he can use his full range of athleticism to smoke people is where he's so dangerous. 

Buyer beware though. If he can't improve his ability to get the tough yards, he might easily under perform. 

5 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Trying to get the Barkley conversation back over here where it belongs.

This is the number I was attempting to reference in the DJ thread.

57th out of 58 RBs. If he "runs strong" or is so amazing at breaking tackles, then how is this number possible? Dude crumbles if you hit him at the LOS. It just doesn't make sense. Dude put up lineman strength at the combine bench press. 

My guess would be that he's an incredible athlete, and if he gets through the first wave or gets outside, it's game on. When he can use his full range of athleticism to smoke people is where he's so dangerous. 

Buyer beware though. If he can't improve his ability to get the tough yards, he might easily under perform. 

Dont guess, inform yourself.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-understanding-saquon-barkley

The big number that illustrates this is that on runs where he was contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage, Barkley averaged just 0.46 yards per carry, which ranked 57th out of 58 qualifying backs in this draft class. This isn’t necessarily a comment on his overall ability, but it is a stylistic indicator. LeSean McCoy was bottom of the NFL in the same category last season (0.37 yards per carry), for the same reason, but it’s fair to say he’s been a pretty useful back as a pro.

Some of this is impacted by the run concepts and scheme employed at Penn State, as well as the fact that their offensive line wasn’t the best in the world. The team placed Barkley on a wide track a lot, giving defenders more time to hit him close to the line of scrimmage. Overall, he was hit at or behind the line on 44.5 percent of his carries, which is higher than all but three other backs in this draft class (one being Nick Chubb).”

Oh, and his OL was terrible.

6 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Dont guess, inform yourself.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-understanding-saquon-barkley

The big number that illustrates this is that on runs where he was contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage, Barkley averaged just 0.46 yards per carry, which ranked 57th out of 58 qualifying backs in this draft class. This isn’t necessarily a comment on his overall ability, but it is a stylistic indicator. LeSean McCoy was bottom of the NFL in the same category last season (0.37 yards per carry), for the same reason, but it’s fair to say he’s been a pretty useful back as a pro.

Some of this is impacted by the run concepts and scheme employed at Penn State, as well as the fact that their offensive line wasn’t the best in the world. The team placed Barkley on a wide track a lot, giving defenders more time to hit him close to the line of scrimmage. Overall, he was hit at or behind the line on 44.5 percent of his carries, which is higher than all but three other backs in this draft class (one being Nick Chubb).”

Oh, and his OL was terrible.

The McCoy comparison was essentially what I was alluding to. Really crazy good in space, maybe not the best between the tackles. 

His success and just how good he can be will likely be tied to how well the NYG O line performs. 

4 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

His success and just how good he can be will likely be tied to how well the NYG O line performs. 

David Johnson put up 1239 rushing yards and 16 rushing TDs with an O-line ranked 26th. ;)