cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

29 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Barkley can do it all. There's no doubt he'll be successful with NY. They did a lot to address the O-line situation this offseason. Rookie of the year. I have no problem over drafting him.

Seven reasons why Barkley will fail to produce numbers Week 1:

DE Calais Campbell*+
DE Yannick Ngakoue*
DT Malik Jackson*
NT Abry Jones
MLB Paul Posluszny
LB Myles Jack
LB Telvin Smith*

He’s awesome, but Barkley cannot do it all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

I prefer the analogies of a Viking shield wall or the phalanx of Sparta’s warriors, but dancing is nice too.

I usually compare it to ballet with a mix of your analogy with lots of crude NSFW words involved.:D 

I went with the lesser term just to keep it tame

Edited by wahl35

3 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

DE Calais Campbell*+
DE Yannick Ngakoue*
DT Malik Jackson*
NT Abry Jones
MLB Paul Posluszny
LB Myles Jack
LB Telvin Smith*

Let's see them cover him as a receiver. Barkley's floor is very high barring health. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Let's see them cover him as a receiver. Barkley's floor is very high barring health. 

12 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

DE Calais Campbell*+
DE Yannick Ngakoue*
DT Malik Jackson*
NT Abry Jones
MLB Paul Posluszny
LB Myles Jack
LB Telvin Smith*

He wont need to do it all. 

I think one thing is safe, given all the moves the Giants have made, he is going to get a lot of touches.

11 minutes ago, AJJones said:

I think one thing is safe, given all the moves the Giants have made, he is going to get a lot of touches.

yes he should. What they turn into is another story

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

How was losing his starting QB right before the season and having to start a 4th rd rookie from week 1 an ideal scenario?

Revisionism at its finest. 

Will someone please educate joshua as to where Tony Romo was for the 2015 season in which Darren McFadden put up nearly 1500 yards behind the Dallas Offensive line?  Why should I give a damn about whether Romo was or wasn't on the field, when your Oline is that dominate?

How about this, anyone want to take a gander at last seasons top 12 RBs and tell me which of them had QBs you consider 'good'?

In order:

Goff

Big Ben

Brees

Smith

Rivers

Tyrod

Beathard (Gorrapolo had no effect on Hyde's per game production)

Cam

Bortles

Kizer

Dak

*News Flash*

Qbs don't mean a whole lot in the game we play.  If they did, no one would want Barkley. B)

36 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

Will someone please educate joshua as to where Tony Romo was for the 2015 season in which Darren McFadden put up nearly 1500 yards behind the Dallas Offensive line?  Why should I give a damn about whether Romo was or wasn't on the field, when your Oline is that dominate?

How about this, anyone want to take a gander at last seasons top 12 RBs and tell me which of them had QBs you consider 'good'?

In order:

Goff

Big Ben

Brees

Smith

Rivers

Tyrod

Beathard (Gorrapolo had no effect on Hyde's per game production)

Cam

Bortles

Kizer

Dak

*News Flash*

Qbs don't mean a whole lot in the game we play.  If they did, no one would want Barkley. B)

None of this has to do with the erroneous point you made about Zeke walking into an "ideal scenario" as a rookie. Clearly he didn't. Don't move the goalposts.

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Let’s see Eli throw the ball within 5 yards of Barkley’s hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Barkley can do it all. 

2 hours ago, South Carolina said:

He wont need to do it all. 

Just what exactly are you smoking? :blink:

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

None of this has to do with the erroneous point you made about Zeke walking into an "ideal scenario" as a rookie. Clearly he didn't. Don't move the goalposts.

Ignoring your complete dismissal of when a player actually 'walks into' a scenario, (hint, it's not week 3 of the preseason) you're still wrong.  The QB didn't matter to his situation.  Any tangent you go on about who was under center, becomes moot when the OLine was so dominant, that just the year prior, with Matt Cassell and Brandon Weeden under center, they were still able to assist DMC to ~1500 total yards.  Whether Romo played or not, the OLine was going to be just as good.  Dak looked better in 2 weeks of preseason than Weeden or Cassell looked in their entire careers, so even with your 'week 3 is day 1' caveat, you would still be wrong.

Zeke walked into an established team, with an Oline so dominant they revived Darren McFadden's career, and didn't even need Romo to do it.

Zeke steps in... with or without Romo, why wouldn't his situation have been ideal?  Feel free to answer, I'm done, I don't care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Crappy butt McFadden and panty robber Randle had 1400 yards with WEEDEN, MOORE, and CASSEL at qb for 12/16 games in 2015.  Weeden.  Cassel.  Moore.  McFadden.  Randle.  That's how good the Dallas oline was.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Crappy butt McFadden and panty robber Randle had 1400 yards with WEEDEN, MOORE, and CASSEL at qb for 12/16 games in 2015.  Weeden.  Cassel.  Moore.  McFadden.  Randle.  That's how good the Dallas oline was.

Of course that OL was great...BUT they were still relying on a 4th rd rookie QB and a rapidly deteriorating WR coming off a broken foot. Not perfect except in hindsight. So many rookie haters were crowing once Romo got hurt about how Zeke was way too risky to draft in round one. Hardly a perfect situation for Zeke.

Barkley IMO has a fantastic situation: no stacked boxes, no RB competition, no reason to come off the field on 3rd downs, and plenty of volume. 

On 4/27/2018 at 1:00 PM, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

If he was good enough to start for the #1 running game - i’ll take it 

(I expect 2 OL drafted at least in rounds 2-4)

Solder is an average run blocker.

Omameh was a horrible run blocker last year.  Not really debatable.  What is debatable is whether he starts over Jerry.

Steelers should have used bell in any way possible and picks to get Barkley, damn 

9 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Just what exactly are you smoking? :blink:

He's going to get a ton of touches regardless. He'll be top 10 in total yardage for sure and you know it Book it Cuh.

8 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Of course that OL was great...BUT they were still relying on a 4th rd rookie QB and a rapidly deteriorating WR coming off a broken foot. Not perfect except in hindsight. So many rookie haters were crowing once Romo got hurt about how Zeke was way too risky to draft in round one. Hardly a perfect situation for Zeke.

Barkley IMO has a fantastic situation: no stacked boxes, no RB competition, no reason to come off the field on 3rd downs, and plenty of volume. 

Bud....   it doesn’t get anymore perfect than Zeke walked into.   A line already established as the best in the league-   Maybe the best ever.    On a team completely dependent and sold out on the running game. 

Barkley is walking into a DEVELOPING situation.  You can like the FAs and rookies NYG picked, but until they put it all together as a unit-  means very little.     

You are passing on an established elite talent, so I completely understand @FFCollusion reluctance here. 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Bud....   it doesn’t get anymore perfect than Zeke walked into.   A line already established as the best in the league-   Maybe the best ever.    On a team completely dependent and sold out on the running game. 

Barkley is walking into a DEVELOPING situation.  You can like the FAs and rookies NYG picked, but until they put it all together as a unit-  means very little.     

You are passing on an established elite talent, so I completely understand @FFCollusion reluctance here. 

There is a difference between cheering for real world outcomes for a team you like and building a winning fantasy roster. Sure u spend for Barkley in the first or in auction equivalent to Bell/DJ/zeke but if you are wrong and he gives you last years Lamar Miller production you  better hope your later round picks pay off like a lottery ticket. 

No one has a clue what the NYG will be this year, nice to say they were 11-5 2yrs ago with a top defense  but the most recent fact is they were 3-13 last season.with a completely terrible team. 

Even Gurley didnt go 1st rd last season even though everyone expected him to have the high volume but there were questions about the o-line , new offense, overall team etc. He was also considered risky in the 2nd but the scarcity of every down rb's kept his stock up. This season there is an influx of productive vet and rookie rb's that didnt exist last season. So definitely more option on how to build out your roster. 

Not sure why anyone would pass on established and highly predictable elite  vet players in the 1st rd to grab a rookie to build their teams.

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dashoe said:

There is a difference between cheering for real world outcomes for a team you like and building a winning fantasy roster. Sure u spend for Barkley in the first or in auction equivalent to Bell/DJ/zeke but if you are wrong and he gives you last years Lamar Miller production you  better hope your later round picks pay off like a lottery ticket. 

No one has a clue what the NYG will be this year, nice to say they were 11-5 2yrs ago with a top defense  but the most recent fact is they were 3-13 last season.with a completely terrible team. 

Even Gurley didnt go 1st rd last season even though everyone expected him to have the high volume but there were questions about the o-line , new offense, overall team etc. He was also considered risky in the 2nd but the scarcity of every down rb's kept his stock up. This season there is an influx of productive vet and rookie rb's that didnt exist last season. So definitely more option on how to build out your roster. 

Not sure why anyone would pass on established and highly predictable elite  vet players in the 1st rd to grab a rookie to build their teams.

Because you can lose every game even if all of your studs put up their average points every week. 

Edited by AJJones

4 minutes ago, AJJones said:

Because you can lose every game even if all of your studs put up their average points every week. 

Then using your premise  as a basis for drafting strategy you can spend your 1st round pick on a kicker and obtain the same random result.

Correct?:)

People are still behind the times with rookie running backs. 

Gurley, Zeke, DJ, Fournette, Hunt, Kamara, Cook, Howard all were fantasy studs as rookies. Anyone who says "I won't risk taking a rookie" hasn't been paying attention.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, drumr470 said:

Gurley, Zeke, DJ, Fournette, Hunt, Kamara, Cook, Howard all were fantasy studs as rookies. Anyone who says "I won't risk taking a rookie" hasn't been paying attention.

Mixon, Sankey, Henry, McCaffrey in standard, Christine Michael say hi.

22 minutes ago, drumr470 said:

No one was behind the times on rookie rb's.  Zeke was a 1st round fantasy pick. Fournette was a 2nd round. Hunt went from 7th round to 3rd by wk1 cooks moved up to 3rd and Howard was a waiver pickup because he was buried in a 3 man rbbc. Gurley I forget his adp  but he had an injury issue

Kamara was on the waiver for many last season because his usage was initially clouded by sharing a backfield with AP+Ingram.

After week 1 you saw the activity pick up with teams rostering him and after the Saints bye it became a feeding frenzy.

Are you saying you was drafting Hunt and kamara last season in the 1st round?

So not sure how you can support your premise that people are still 'behind the times with rookie running backs'. Seems to me people have been pricing them fairly vs their risk profiles.:huh:

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

No one was behind the times on rookie rb's.  Zeke was a 1st round fantasy pick. Fournette was a 2nd round. Hunt went from 7th round to 3rd by wk1 cooks moved up to 3rd and Howard was a waiver pickup because he was buried in a 3 man rbbc. Gurley I forget his adp  but he had an injury issue

Kamara was on the waiver for many last season because his usage was initially clouded by sharing a backfield with AP+Ingram.

After week 1 you saw the activity pick up with teams rostering him and after the Saints bye it became a feeding frenzy.

Are you saying you was drafting Hunt and kamara last season in the 1st round?

So not sure how you can support your premise that people are still 'behind the times with rookie running backs'. Seems to me people have been pricing them fairly vs their risk profiles.:huh:

I think Gurley was going around the 5th or 6th round.

2 hours ago, jbshaw said:

Mixon, Sankey, Henry, McCaffrey in standard, Christine Michael say hi.

Mixon... nowhere near as good, competition for touches 

Henry ... Demarco Murray

Mccaffrey ... PPR Format 

Sankey, Michael ... ha.