cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

4 minutes ago, RicFlair said:

For my money, Barkley is already the best RB in the league. 

I'm sure a lot of people going to say Gurley because of situation, but I'd take Barkley over anybody at the position if I had to choose. 

This guy is easily the best RB to come into the NFL since young Peterson and is probably even better since he is a better pass catcher. 

Put it this way...in redraft leagues, I think as of right now that Saquon has a strong case for being the #1 overall pick. Even ahead of Gurley. 

I also agree towards the comparison of rookie Peterson to Saquon as well, in terms of Saquon being the best rookie RB since then (yes, ahead of Zeke). 

I don't think its even a debate. Consensus 1.1.

He is a freaky hybrid of Barry Sanders and bo Jackson, who also happens to catch 90 receptions.

Edited by oban14

5 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

Hard to imagine he reaches 90 catches again next year...right? :o

Uh no not really 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

The odds are, no, he won't.  But definitely not impossible. If they keep dumping it off to compensate for poor run blocking, he could certainly do it again. 

11 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

Yeah I'd say more like 100+ if they scheme more to his strengths, etc!

Feels like Groundhog Day. First it was Gurley, then DJ, then Kamara, now Barkley. How many of those previously named “best running backs in the league” put up best running back production the following year to maintain that title? Not arguing just wondering? Variables come into play for every back whether the outcome is positive or negative. 

I think all offseason there will be debate about Gurley or Barkley at #1.  He will certainly be one of the top 2 picks in most leagues regardless of format.  CMC and Kamara proved that they can produce without having the prototypical #1 rushing workload, but I don't think they are in consideration.

I'll be watching to see how they address their offensive needs.  The team was dumpster fire and this generational talent still got it done.  Imagine what he could do on a good team with a decent QB and line.

2 hours ago, Bandito said:

The odds are, no, he won't.  But definitely not impossible. If they keep dumping it off to compensate for poor run blocking, he could certainly do it again. 

Even if the offense improves as a whole and he gets less dump offs, I'd assume the number of end zone opportunities would increase and he'd get more space to run in general so it'll somewhat balance out in the end, right?

I decided to see what % of his runs were against 8+ and it was lower than I expected.  According to the NFL's stats - and I admit I don't know how good the site it - he was about 24th.  

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

Edited by ZappB

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I think all offseason there will be debate about Gurley or Barkley at #1.  He will certainly be one of the top 2 picks in most leagues regardless of format.  CMC and Kamara proved that they can produce without having the prototypical #1 rushing workload, but I don't think they are in consideration.

I'll be watching to see how they address their offensive needs.  The team was dumpster fire and this generational talent still got it done.  Imagine what he could do on a good team with a decent QB and line.

More big plays downfield to OBJ and less feeding barkley the ball?

Somehow many forget OBJ was not a big play downfield machine this year because of poor o-line and QB play. 

Barkley should be #2 or 3 off the board after Gurley but I could see the argument to take him #1 with the assumption he makes that sophmore leap  as a more effficient NFL runner because he knows the playbook and the opponets better

Edited by dashoe

This thread should be a future reference whenever there is a generational talent that is coming into a suspect situation. Talent usually wins, and Barkley is a testament to that. The best athlete to enter the NFL in a few years now with every attribute you could ever ask for in a running back, and he will only continue to improve. I'd rather have Gurley over him next year if I had a pick of everyone in the league, but Barkley is the firm #2 in most leagues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Feels like Groundhog Day. First it was Gurley, then DJ, then Kamara, now Barkley. How many of those previously named “best running backs in the league” put up best running back production the following year to maintain that title? Not arguing just wondering? Variables come into play for every back whether the outcome is positive or negative. 

I have (had) doubts about all those guys except Barkley.

Gurley: great coach, great offense, great success. Stick him on the giants? Don't see it.

DJ: came out of nowhere and disappeared just as quick. Love him as a late second round value pick, not as a top 3.

AK: time share, small, great but old qb/coach. Would take Barkley over him but would consider him at 1.2 or anywhere later.

These things are fluid. But Barkley has a perfect pedigree and dominated on a team that could barely average more than three yards per carry last year. Go put those other three guys on this giants team and see if any crack 1000 rushing yards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

I'd rather have Gurley over him next year if I had a pick of everyone in the league, but Barkley is the firm #2 in most leagues. 

Agreed. I think Gurley is still the guy in redraft, but Barkley's right there. 

It's between Barkley and CMC for me. 

I want nothing to do with guys that don't play in the playoffs. Rams pretty much just gave him rest last two weeks. No thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

It's between Barkley and CMC for me. 

I want nothing to do with guys that don't play in the playoffs. Rams pretty much just gave him rest last two weeks. No thanks. 

Well, obviously Gurley got injured, no?  It was just unfortunate that it occurred when it did.

If you're talking the real playoffs, then I don't think Barkley has a shot at those for quite a few years...

CMC would be a bold choice but obviously the kid got it done this year.

It's between Barkley and Gurley for me.  Throw in some TD regression for Gurley and they are really close.

Barkley will be a lock to play all 16 games.

Most importantly - all the key playoff games, he will surely get the full workload. No high maintenance during the fantasy playoffs.

The same cannot be said for Gurley.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CooL said:

Well, obviously Gurley got injured, no?  It was just unfortunate that it occurred when it did.

If you're talking the real playoffs, then I don't think Barkley has a shot at those for quite a few years...

CMC would be a bold choice but obviously the kid got it done this year.

It's between Barkley and Gurley for me.  Throw in some TD regression for Gurley and they are really close.

Gurley could easily have even more TDs next year as he tapered off / got injured this year.  He had 17 playing in only 14 games, one of these seasons he will probably hit 20 rushing TDs.  Barkley is a much bigger play threat though as he can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball.  Gurley is probably 'safer' because we have seen him do it a couple times now with McVay, Barkley in year 2 is still about his potential. 

3 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Barkley is a much bigger play threat though as he can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball. 

this.  

most explosive top tier RB in the game, hands down  ... Kamara is close, but when was the last time we saw AK go 70+ yds for a TD? (nod to DHC here: we need to see Henry getting his rightful bellcow work for a whole season before including him, but he's proven his game breaking chops).

this kid is the most complete rookie back i've ever seen ... and can folks plz stop with the Peterson comparisions? that doofus couldn't grasp the passing game nuances if it was whooped into him - Barkley is an easy tier above in all facets.   not. even. close.  

but if the Jints have to draft an RB in rd two this year, even with the so called "GREATEST GENERATIONAL TALENT IN LIKE 4EVAH!!1!!111! ZOMG!!1!!1!" on the roster (like the Vikes did with Gerhart/AP) then we can talk. 

i take him over Gurley ... coin flip, but i lean the kid right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

this.  

most explosive top tier RB in the game, hands down  ... Kamara is close, but when was the last time we saw AK go 70+ yds for a TD? (nod to DHC here: we need to see Henry getting his rightful bellcow work for a whole season before including him, but he's proven his game breaking chops).

this kid is the most complete rookie back i've ever seen ... and can folks plz stop with the Peterson comparisions? that doofus couldn't grasp the passing game nuances if it was whooped into him - Barkley is an easy tier above in all facets.   not. even. close.  

but if the Jints have to draft an RB in rd two this year, even with the so called "GREATEST GENERATIONAL TALENT IN LIKE 4EVAH!!1!!111! ZOMG!!1!!1!" on the roster (like the Vikes did with Gerhart/AP) then we can talk. 

i take him over Gurley ... coin flip, but i lean the kid right now. 

I agree that he's the most explosive RB in the game.   If you took all the top RBs and put them on the same team, I think Barkley outperforms all of them.   He seems to have the best combination of speed, power, pass catching, vision, balance, etc.  of all RBs.

That being said, I would pause before taking him over Gurley or Zeke.   There was a decent point made (can't remember where) that he won't get the work next season that he did this year.   Partly because of having Beckham and Ingram healthy.   But another reason, which I hadn't considered, is that the Giants probably wanted to validate their 1st round pick of him and gave him excessive touches because of it.   I'm not sure what to think about that but it is a concern that they might dial him back if they want to preserve him for post Manning years.   

As talented as he is, I think I would still take Zeke and Gurley ahead of him.  

14 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

when was the last time we saw AK go 70+ yds for a TD?

Because I take these rethorical questions literally:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Because I take these rethorical questions literally:

2017, week 13 - duly noted B)