tootallball

Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, koreaonaboat said:

hopefully this is like ATL with there being two backs with value. Though i don't epect Michel to dominate the snap count every week. White played 42 and Michel 28. bare in mind this is with NE leading most the game. could have been more snaps for White had Indy scored more.

I noticed last night that almost every first down Michel was in. And depending on whether he rushed 4 yards or over on that down he would stay, but if it was less than 4 yards in came White. Maybe this will be a pattern going forward? It's anyone's guess with hoodie, but i do think both backs hold value and are startable in this potent offense

I don’t get what the confusion is here.

White is in a slightly more robust version of his passing downs role and Michel is in the Blount/Lewis role.

We’ve seen how this plays out the last few years

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

1. Doesn’t make sense for Pats to do that

2. No way the Steelers are trading him to New England

Totally agree.   It's just crossed my mind.   They dropped their 3rd RB recently and it just got me thinking.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, koreaonaboat said:

hopefully this is like ATL with there being two backs with value. Though i don't epect Michel to dominate the snap count every week. White played 42 and Michel 28. bare in mind this is with NE leading most the game. could have been more snaps for White had Indy scored more.

I noticed last night that almost every first down Michel was in. And depending on whether he rushed 4 yards or over on that down he would stay, but if it was less than 4 yards in came White. Maybe this will be a pattern going forward? It's anyone's guess with hoodie, but i do think both backs hold value and are startable in this potent offense

They use Freeman and Coleman way differently than NE uses White and Michel. Coleman's value is damaged when Free is healthy. It is just change of pace and keeping Free healthy. Freeman is the lead back there. For NE, Michel is the lead back. White is not a threat there, because he's virtually just a receiver disguised as a RB. Michel's upside is hurt due to him not being involved much in the passing game. But still both hold great standalone value. I really don't think the Free/Coleman duo do. I watch full seasons of the Falcons and don't like their usage for fantasy purposes.

Edited by FitzMagic

2 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

They use Freeman and Coleman way differently than NE uses White and Michel. Coleman's value is damaged when Free is healthy. It is just change of pace and keeping Free healthy. Freeman is the lead back there. For NE, Michel is the lead back. White is not a threat there, because he's virtually just a receiver disguised as a RB. Michel's upside is hurt due to him not being involved much in the passing game. But still both hold great standalone value. I really don't think the Free/Coleman duo do. I watch full seasons of the Falcons and don't like their usage for fantasy purposes.

Freeman and Coleman have been fantasy studs year after year my man, what are is there to complain about there?  Yes they're used differently but they still both have always produced when healthy...apples and oranges both taste good.

Any split back system with a strong and balanced offense that's putting up points is going to generate two fantasy relevant RB's.  It's just the nature of the NFL now.

The Patriots always seem to have a top 5 backfield in overall production and now there is only 2 guys sharing that pie instead of 3 as in years past.  It's feasting time for both NE RB going forward.

• Like 2

Saw some positive usage last night...

1) That play where White & Michel were in the backfield together and they faked the screen to White [who everyone assumes is the receiving back] and threw it to Michel. I feel like they wanted to prove, even if it was only one target, that they're willing to throw to him. He took it for 12 yards, so it was a success, unlike his targets 2 weeks ago.

2) They're using him on play-action. I was worried that he'd get pigeonholed into a "if he's in, he's running" role. Play-action will force the defense to take the passing game seriously when he's in on early downs [opening up more running room for him] and he can have the ability to leak out as the check-down after play-action, giving him some additional options to rack up PPR points. 

With Gronk, Edelman, and Gordon, they're going to have the receiving talent to open up the running game for Michel. But the above two situations are ways to make sure that Michel isn't telegraphing a predictable run play every time he's on the field, which will open up the offense even more.

Things are going the right direction here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stay_woke said:

In my .5 ppr I consider michel and white both RB2s with RB1 upside any given week. I expect most weeks one to finish as an RB1 and one as an RB2 with some weeks sprinkled in where they are both an RB2 or RB1.

I own michel not white but I love watching white do his thing on 3rd downs to keep the drive going so that sony can get back in on 1st and 2nd downs. And if white ever gets injured then michel is an everyweek RB1 with high end RB1 upside.

White wasn't just a 3rd down back. I watched the game. White was in more snaps than Michel. I like both though. 

18 minutes ago, cowan_j2012 said:

White wasn't just a 3rd down back. I watched the game. White was in more snaps than Michel. I like both though. 

Agreed. He's basically the back used in more obvious passing situations [2nd and long, 3rd and med-long], and only occasionally on 1st down. He only gets token rushing carries to keep defenses honest and not signal that every time he's in the game it's a pass. 

• Like 1

I'm loving this guy right now.  The Pat's have the ground game covered now, I believe he'll start getting more and more targets as the season rolls on too, he's a capable receiver despite his first game with the couple drops.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Talentwise he hasn't showed anything special. He looked slow. Other than the TD run he was getting tackled the first time a guy touched him, and most of his big runs were through gaping holes that the offensive line created. Alex Collins could have done what he did last night.

That being said, he's getting 18-20 touches a game on the Pats offense, so he's an easy RB2 with RB1 upside in good matchups.

Edited by Therec
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

It's hard to run well when they are stacking the box almost every snap you play.  Look at Gurley circa 2016.  Until New England starts giving Michel targets and/or uses more play-action, he will get stuffed at the LOS a lot in between his big runs.

2 minutes ago, Therec said:

Talentwise he hasn't showed anything special. He looked slow. Other than the TD run he was getting tackled the first time a guy touched him, and most of his big runs were through gaping holes that the offensive line created. Alex Collins could have done what he did last night.

That being said, he's getting 18-20 touches a game on the Pats offense, so he's an easy RB2 with RB1 upside in good matchups.

Bad take alert.

On Michel's 34 yard TD run, Collins would have reversed field for no reason before fumbling. Michel has looked sudden, powerful and secure with the football. There are zero concerns with his athleticism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Bad take alert.

On Michel's 34 yard TD run, Collins would have reversed field for no reason before fumbling. Michel has looked sudden, powerful and secure with the football. There are zero concerns with his athleticism. 

My only concern is him getting tackled awkwardly because of his style.   A few times last night I thought he wasn't getting back up whether it was from a TKO or his legs bending oddly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Therec said:

"Looked slow" LOL.  He showed burst and ability to get to the sideline and get in the end zone on his TD run. He has finished runs with power. He is squeaking out yards. There is a stat pages back on the board, but a large chunk of his yardage has been after contact, so that negates your take on him only getting what is blocked for him. 

56 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

My only concern is him getting tackled awkwardly because of his style.   A few times last night I thought he wasn't getting back up whether it was from a TKO or his legs bending oddly.

I'll give you that.

He plays herky jerky, almost awkward. I remember him running head first into two defenders last night leading to a big hit. Hopefully that's something the coaching staff can somewhat mitigate, though you wouldn't want to mess too much with his running style at this point. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

I'll give you that.

He plays herky jerky, almost awkward. I remember him running head first into two defenders last night leading to a big hit. Hopefully that's something the coaching staff can somewhat mitigate, though you wouldn't want to mess too much with his running style at this point. 

I believe it was Michel who lowered his body into that LB and gave him a concussion 1st qtr.  Sony popped right up but that LB stayed down for a commercial break and looked like he had no idea where he was.

Edited by KuNiT21
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Therec said:

Pretty sure we were watching a different game.  What looked slow to you was actually a display of excellent vision and patient but decisive running.  

• Like 1

Serious here -

Upside RB2 with RB1 Potetional based on game flow? Cant take White out of the question now. That's bradys WR1 Lol.

All you need to know about Michel is the Pats drafted him in the first round, something they rarely do with RBs.

The Pats offense is getting healthy (Edelman) and potentially more explosive as Gordon gets more familiar with Brady. Scoring shouldnt be problem. Bigger leads usually means more carries for Michel to bleed the clock.

The Pats usually have 3 RBs yet on Thursday, Michel and White were the only RBs active.

People here talking about how he "looked" slow. Its all about the situation and opportunity.

The only thing that will hold Michel back is Michel...just hold onto that damn ball. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

All you need to know about Michel is the Pats drafted him in the first round, something they rarely do with RBs.

The Pats offense is getting healthy (Edelman) and potentially more explosive as Gordon gets more familiar with Brady. Scoring shouldnt be problem. Bigger leads usually means more carries for Michel to bleed the clock.

The Pats usually have 3 RBs yet on Thursday, Michel and White were the only RBs active.

People here talking about how he "looked" slow. Its all about the situation and opportunity.

The only thing that will hold Michel back is Michel...just hold onto that damn ball. 

I thought he looked slow last week. But seeing him cut that corner for that TD last night. He isn't slow at all. In fact I think he's just getting to game speed. He's a rookie to add so everything is a learning opportunity right now. He's only going to get better from here on out.

Edited by StevenSC400

Guy's gonna end up being an absolute steal for everyone who drafted him. I'd like to trade for him but I'm afraid the price is already too high. I'd be very surprised if he's not a top 10 RB ROS. 

loving the production, but his running style is unique, his cuts are super short, kind of like he's not going full range of motion, but it lets him shuffle his feet really quick to get defenders off balance, and he will  either lower his shoulder or stiff arm his way through the first defender and keep his downhill momentum. all in all... i feel like he's a solid back but I credit the offensive schemes and mis-direction that are the reason he's successful.

regarding slow, I remember seeing him run after grabbing that lone reception and thought he looked quick.  I really think if they can feed him a few targets in the open field he can make some big plays. 

20 hours ago, cowan_j2012 said:

White had 2 rush attempts for 0 yards, I think its clear what he is. Yeah hes not in only on 3rd downs but if most of his production comes on 3rd downs and he is only contributing by catching the ball then imo he's a 3rd down back, which isnt bad for a team like the pats.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:51 AM, Stratocasters said:

My perspective is from a PPR standpoint. I haven't played in a standard league in years. So I'm sure that's where some of the conflict comes from.

In PPR leagues, JW is the more attractive RB (and is playing/scoring like a RB1).

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see both perform as high-end RB2s ROS. I think Michel is going to get worked into the passing game more because he is a good receiving back, despite Brady's apparent dislike for him, lol. I also believe White is going to lose targets over the long haul if Gordon is the guy the Pats believe he can be. And surely, the Pats will start to mix-and-match more with Michel and White, to remove some of the predictability.