tootallball

Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

11 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

What do you think his ADP will be next year?

If things stay the same, I'm guessing late 3rd in 12 team PPR.    That being said, maybe a current non-Sony owner hasn't been following as closely and takes him earlier.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, K197040 said:

I'm a Sony owner in several leagues so hope the best for him.

But honestly, he doesn't look like a RB1 talent to me.    He doesn't seem to  have either exceptional power or explosiveness.   

Happy to get him where I drafted him but expected more once he was worked in.

Maybe he'd be more involved in the passing game if he wasn't out at the beginning of the season.   I don't know.

Be careful with that take around this thread. The true believers will fight you tooth and nail if you say he's not amazing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's hard to expect Michel will be anymore than a Blount type RB in the Pats system. He's not going to ever be a 3 down back who catches passes so long as White is on the team, and Burkhead returning will eat into some of his snaps. He's still a good low-end RB2 who has good upside, but he's TD dependent and has a lower floor due to lack of involvement in the passing game and his timeshare with Burkhead and White. He will have good weeks. I'd take him in the 3rd/4th round of a 10 man standard league. Lower if it's PPR since he gets almost zero passing  targets a game. 

36 minutes ago, Therec said:

Be careful with that take around this thread. The true believers will fight you tooth and nail if you say he's not amazing.

Yeah that's every player outlook thread on here lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, atdharris said:

It's hard to expect Michel will be anymore than a Blount type RB in the Pats system. He's not going to ever be a 3 down back who catches passes so long as White is on the team, and Burkhead returning will eat into some of his snaps. He's still a good low-end RB2 who has good upside, but he's TD dependent and has a lower floor due to lack of involvement in the passing game and his timeshare with Burkhead and White. He will have good weeks. I'd take him in the 3rd/4th round of a 10 man standard league. Lower if it's PPR since he gets almost zero passing  targets a game. 

Hard to project Sony getting significant work in the passing game this season, but I would not count him out next season when he actually gets a full offseason. 

People were saying the same thing last year about White, but once Dion got healthy, White became much less involved. 

Sony is a capable back in the passing game and could be a dual threat; whereas, White is mostly just a passing back and thus makes the offense more predictable. Bill no doubt would prefer a back that is adequate in both parts of the game. 

Starting him vs MIA and hoping for a TD or two.

Edited by Pooskay
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, K197040 said:

I'm a Sony owner in several leagues so hope the best for him.

But honestly, he doesn't look like a RB1 talent to me.    He doesn't seem to  have either exceptional power or explosiveness.   

Happy to get him where I drafted him but expected more once he was worked in.

Maybe he'd be more involved in the passing game if he wasn't out at the beginning of the season.   I don't know.

Same, but I have higher expectations for him next season. I wonder how healthy he really is this season. I watched a bit of his college tape to prepare for dynasty drafts, and he looked a lot quicker and lighter on his feet in college than he did this year. Maybe he put on weight?

1 minute ago, wonderbread said:

Same, but I have higher expectations for him next season. I wonder how healthy he really is this season. I watched a bit of his college tape to prepare for dynasty drafts, and he looked a lot quicker and lighter on his feet in college than he did this year. Maybe he put on weight?

I don't know.  Maybe the knee issues are lingering.   Agree that he doesn't seem to have the same quickness.

I also think that he'll see more targets next year.  Would be foolish to not change it up on first down once in a while.   So far, when Sony is in, it's almost always a run play.  Can't image that they won't switch it up some.  

I think he can be RB1 if Bill ever puts faith in him like he’s done with some past feature backs. I think the fact that he’s a rookie and missed most of camp and quite a bit of the season has a lot to do with it. Bill runs a system and obvious Sony isn’t ready for it, in his opinion. I expect if he has a solid camp next year and does well in preseason he may become that all-purpose back. Watching him and Chubb in college, you see what a talent Chubb is, but I still feel if Sony overcomes the knee injury he can get back to being the talent he was projected. Right now though, barring some catastrophe, he won’t be starting for me ROS. 

11 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I don't know.  Maybe the knee issues are lingering.   Agree that he doesn't seem to have the same quickness.

I also think that he'll see more targets next year.  Would be foolish to not change it up on first down once in a while.   So far, when Sony is in, it's almost always a run play.  Can't image that they won't switch it up some.  

Yeah, he’s really banged up. I think a Bill made a mistake playing him before the bye. 

15 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I think he can be RB1 if Bill ever puts faith in him like he’s done with some past feature backs. I think the fact that he’s a rookie and missed most of camp and quite a bit of the season has a lot to do with it. Bill runs a system and obvious Sony isn’t ready for it, in his opinion. I expect if he has a solid camp next year and does well in preseason he may become that all-purpose back. Watching him and Chubb in college, you see what a talent Chubb is, but I still feel if Sony overcomes the knee injury he can get back to being the talent he was projected. Right now though, barring some catastrophe, he won’t be starting for me ROS. 

If the Pats gave the TDs to Sony instead of a fullback and Sony had 80 yards 2 TD vs the Vikes- would you still not want to start him vs upcoming teams such as Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and Buffalo Bills?

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

If the Pats gave the TDs to Sony instead of a fullback and Sony had 80 yards 2 TD vs the Vikes- would you still not want to start him vs upcoming teams such as Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and Buffalo Bills?

They are @Pitt week 15. That is a sketchy start to me, as it could be high scoring. However, Sony put up 106/2TD vs KC earlier in the season.

1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

They are @Pitt week 15. That is a sketchy start to me, as it could be high scoring. However, Sony put up 106/2TD vs KC earlier in the season.

Right I did not list Pitt because that would be the only start left he would be more of a flex option than surefire RB2.

Pitt's run D looks solid in general so NE will likely be all New Englandy and do CP84 direct snaps and Julian Edelman WR passes. 

8 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

As a risky play, sure. I still can’t justify playing him over the guys I have except Ware who is also going to ride the pine too. Too many vultures on the Patriots. Very few options that can vulture Barkley, Fournette, and Chubb. 

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

As a risky play, sure. I still can’t justify playing him over the guys I have except Ware who is also going to ride the pine too. Too many vultures on the Patriots. Very few options that can vulture Barkley, Fournette, and Chubb

Wow nice stable.  Carry on..... :D

I am looking at Drake, Ware and Mack as my 'stud' RBs that are left :(

Edited by Zak0221
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Therec said:

I haven’t really seen this in Sony thread. Most are logical and know he plays for the Pats and has lingering knee problem. His talent is there but he hasn’t been able to showcase it. I’ve regarded him as a flex play all season. Most were forced to start him as a RB2 though due to injuries and he was very good for a stretch. He’s amazing considering his ADP. Basically got him really late or off waivers. Can’t deny his production or his greatness in that context.

• Like 1

Yeah once he got hoodied at the goal line twice you knew he was done for fantasy

8 minutes ago, redlegsfan said:

You sure Devlin will not get those?

Maybe, but that seems like the predictable outcome, and BB likes to be unpredictable.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:39 PM, redlegsfan said:

You sure Devlin will not get those?

I went back and watched the video of those Develin TD's.  It looked like the same play to me, fullback run to the left and Sony drifting up to the right.  The Vikings are a good run and red zone defense and were probably geared up to stop Sony.  The Pats used misdirection to get Develin those two TDs.  For everyone who didn't need to rely on Sony last week, I think that was the perfect time to run those plays, because now its on the tape and teams have to be prepared to stop Develin.  That should make it easier for Sony to score when he gets the ball near the goal line the next time.  I don't like how big the RB committee has gotten on the Pats, but Sony has a good chance of scoring TD's when he's given the opportunity.       

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tonyromosclavicle said:

Feeling like this is going to be a trap game and having trouble starting him over robert woods in flex. :(

High RB2 vs High WR2 seems like a good problem to have. In PPR I'd personally go Woods for the higher floor with Burkhead back. Michel is still a top 15 RB play for me this week. Pats trashed a then undefeated Phins team by 31 back in week 4 but I think the divisional matchup and great coaching should help keep Pats from thinking ahead to next week. 

• Thanks 1

He would be a RB1 if they stop deciding to give Devlin the GL carries, just because he fails on the 1st attempt :(

Michel got 17 carries but I'm worried Burk will cut into that in his second game back 

1 minute ago, affliction said:

Michel got 17 carries but I'm worried Burk will cut into that in his second game back 

The articles I read made it seem Burk really cut more into James White role