tootallball

Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Gfycat said:

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Unfortunately he is turning into the Jordan Howard of this offense. 

I'm sure Howard owners would kill for 20 touches each week.

2 hours ago, cizastro said:

I'm sure Howard owners would kill for 20 touches each week.

I dunno. I think Howard owners are happier this week than Michel owners.

1 hour ago, Therec said:

I dunno. I think Howard owners are happier this week than Michel owners.

Probably, until he gets 7 carries next week. 

Not only did Develin hold on a long run by Michel, but he vultures a TD. Anybody have his address? Call in Mr. Wolf. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Not only did Develin hold on a long run by Michel, but he vultures a TD. Anybody have his address? Call in Mr. Wolf. 

I'm a Mr blonde guy myself... ;)

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2018 at 8:15 AM, Smoketheclay said:

Im in the same scenario.  Same thinking too.  My fear is Sony doesn’t get a TD chance and doesn’t get catches.  Maybe he gets 80 on the ground but Samuels should easily eclipse that in PPR

Just saying...57 is close to 80

Edited by Smoketheclay

I believed in the guy, and it cost me. Just truly cannot rely on any BB running back. I have no idea why they invested first round capital in this guy, when a fifth rounder can do what they ask Sony to do. DND for me next year if hoodie is still around. 

The Patriots backfield is simple during draft. You draft the cheapest guy and you hope for injuries so that it's down to a 2-man backfield. If it doesn't fall your way at least you didn't spend high on a back who's not going to produce.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sasnumberonefan said:

I believed in the guy, and it cost me. Just truly cannot rely on any BB running back. I have no idea why they invested first round capital in this guy, when a fifth rounder can do what they ask Sony to do. DND for me next year if hoodie is still around. 

Kind of the same feeling, although I'm sure I'll be duped sometime in August when he's going in the mid 4th or early 5th. 

I will say he got 20 touches and did nothing with it so can't be all on BB. 

Just now, TheDoctor said:

Kind of the same feeling, although I'm sure I'll be duped sometime in August when he's going in the mid 4th or early 5th. 

The problem is, when he gets those 20 touches, it is so painfully obvious what they are gonna do. He is absolutely filling the Blount role from a few years ago (minus the TDs). When Sony is in, it is a run up or near the middle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

The problem is, when he gets those 20 touches, it is so painfully obvious what they are gonna do. He is absolutely filling the Blount role from a few years ago (minus the TDs). When Sony is in, it is a run up or near the middle. 

This.   I keep thinking maybe BB is going to pull a "gotcha" on the opposition and throw to Michel on first down.   But it's not happening.

Just now, K197040 said:

This.   I keep thinking maybe BB is going to pull a "gotcha" on the opposition and throw to Michel on first down.   But it's not happening.

It's more like "gotcha" another TD from Devlin you bitches. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

He vultured 2 last week. At least that makes sense, I don't get why Burkhead gets snaps.

Edited by dmb3684

21 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

He served me well through injuries. But I'm not drafting him next year unless it is in the really late rounds. If someone takes him really high they can have him.

Sony not only was vultured by Develin, he was kept out of the end zone by the Pats at the end of the game. Sony had multiple carries at 1st and goal at the end of game.  They tried to run down the clock as the team played for the field goal.  They should have played to win and get Sony in the end zone, instead they played to not lose and lost anyway.

A holding call on Develin wiped out a 40 yard rush near the end of the game.  Some real missed opportunities there. Yesterday,  I think the Pats would have done better trying to establish Sony more early and keeping their woeful (yesterday) defense off the field.

Burkhead doesn't really eat into Sony's role but more James White role, as they have more overlapping skills. 

Edited by rocket
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocket said:

Sony not only was vultured by Develin, he was kept out of the end zone by the Pats at the end of the game. Sony had multiple carries at 1st and goal to run down the clock as the team played for the field goal.  They should have played to win and get Sony in the end zone, instead they played to not lose and lost anyway.

A holding call on Develin wiped out a 40 yard rush near the end of the game.  Some real missed opportunities there. Yesterday, t I think the Pats would have done better trying to establish Sony more early and keeping their woeful (yesterday) defense off the field.

Burkhead doesn't really eat into Sony's role but more James White role, as they have more overlapping skills. 

I don't think the solution is more carries when the guy is only gaining 57 yards on 20 carries. The playcalling needs to be not so basic/obvious. Michel actually has decent hands so why not try to get him the ball in space rather than runs up the middle most of the time. Switch up how they use White and Michel and not be so predictable. 

3 hours ago, sasnumberonefan said:

I made a comment on this in the gameday thread yesterday.   Michel is more of a victim of predictable playcalling than anything else.  When you're going to give him a token handoff on 1st down and then completely abandon the run it's quite easy to predict what's going to happen from the defensive standpoint.  I can't believe the Patriots were doing that.  I could see that out of the Raiders or Cardinals, but not out of a team as dynamic as the Patriots.  They really did him a disservice yesterday with that atrocious playcalling.

7 minutes ago, rocket said:

Sony not only was vultured by Develin, he was kept out of the end zone by the Pats at the end of the game. Sony had multiple carries at 1st and goal at the end of game.  They tried to run down the clock as the team played for the field goal.  They should have played to win and get Sony in the end zone, instead they played to not lose and lost anyway.

A holding call on Develin wiped out a 40 yard rush near the end of the game.  Some real missed opportunities there. Yesterday,  I think the Pats would have done better trying to establish Sony more early and keeping their woeful (yesterday) defense off the field.

I agree with this after seeing this game as well.  Lots of missed opportunities as he could of had a 20+ day.  Problem is, I keep thinking Bill is going to change it up the following week and nothing happens.  It's the same run plays for Michel when he enters. Guy has shiftyness and moves but the Pats insist Sony is just a grinder.  I'm not sure I can trust him this week.  

2 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

I don't think the solution is more carries when the guy is only gaining 57 yards on 20 carries. The playcalling needs to be not so basic/obvious. Michel actually has decent hands so why not try to get him the ball in space rather than runs up the middle most of the time. Switch up how they use White and Michel and not be so predictable. 

Well I was thinking also in terms of how many times I saw Burkhead & White just run up to the line of scrimmage and fall down.  Sony is a more capable runner than those guys when theren't any holes to attack.  It looked to me that Sony began to be featured more right at the beginning of the 2nd half whereas if they could have tried to get him going more consistently in the first half, they might have been able to protect their defense. I agree the playcalling and predictable usage has been an issue. 

That’s what happens when you have the fraud in McDaniels as OC. He’s lucky to still have a job in this league.