tootallball

Sony Michel 2018 Season Outlook

Any Pats fans on here have any info/expectations for this dude? I have high respect for the pats and Bill, so them spending a first rounder on a RB has to mean they have a solid plan on how to use him right? I really want to get him in my leagues but at this rate he is going to cost a 4th rounder which is pretty high with how the pats have utilized RB’s in the past. I think he could have a 750/750 season with 8+ TD’s in that offense. 

Thoughts? I’m honestly surprised there hasn’t been more discussion on this guy. 

12 minutes ago, Breesus said:

Any Pats fans on here have any info/expectations for this dude? I have high respect for the pats and Bill, so them spending a first rounder on a RB has to mean they have a solid plan on how to use him right? I really want to get him in my leagues but at this rate he is going to cost a 4th rounder which is pretty high with how the pats have utilized RB’s in the past. I think he could have a 750/750 season with 8+ TD’s in that offense. 

Thoughts? I’m honestly surprised there hasn’t been more discussion on this guy.

As a Pats fan, the pick fascinated me. I didn't expect Bill to mess around with a RB so early, so it seems like he's committed to Michel. The strange thing to me is Michel is a known fumbler, and we've seen many running backs in NE lose their jobs over that very issue. There's a huge mystique around Patriot RBs, and how you can't trust them because its always a revolving door. Personally, I've always thought that was a very lazy excuse. Dion Lewis was amazing last year, as was Blount the year before. It usually takes Bill a few weeks to settle into his RB1, and the other backs always have a role (usually in the passing game, though sometimes stealing carries), but as whole the Patriots lead rusher is always a good bet to produce just based on red zone volume. Since 2012, New England has finished 1st, 2nd, 12th, 11th, 5th, and 6th in rushing touchdowns. Theres obviously a lot of scoring to go around in such a good offense. If Michel can get ahold of the staring job, which is quite likely, we could be looking at a Kamara-esque season. I wouldn't count on it, but he's easily the most talented rusher in the backfield, and Bill clearly wanted him or he wouldn't have used a first rounder on the kid. I think he's definitely worth a buy. If people want to stay away because he's a Patriots RB and that's too confusing for them, by all means. I will pounce.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Saucy said:

As a Pats fan, the pick fascinated me. I didn't expect Bill to mess around with a RB so early, so it seems like he's committed to Michel. The strange thing to me is Michel is a known fumbler, and we've seen many running backs in NE lose their jobs over that very issue. There's a huge mystique around Patriot RBs, and how you can't trust them because its always a revolving door. Personally, I've always thought that was a very lazy excuse. Dion Lewis was amazing last year, as was Blount the year before. It usually takes Bill a few weeks to settle into his RB1, and the other backs always have a role (usually in the passing game, though sometimes stealing carries), but as whole the Patriots lead rusher is always a good bet to produce just based on red zone volume. Since 2012, New England has finished 1st, 2nd, 12th, 11th, 5th, and 6th in rushing touchdowns. Theres obviously a lot of scoring to go around in such a good offense. If Michel can get ahold of the staring job, which is quite likely, we could be looking at a Kamara-esque season. I wouldn't count on it, but he's easily the most talented rusher in the backfield, and Bill clearly wanted him or he wouldn't have used a first rounder on the kid. I think he's definitely worth a buy. If people want to stay away because he's a Patriots RB and that's too confusing for them, by all means. I will pounce.

I noticed Dion & Blount have had good seasons but wow I didn’t realize those rushing numbers that’s a good stat. Thanks that makes me feel better about looking at him in the 4th. I’m probably going to end up with Kamara also so that could be a fun fantasy duo to own. 

2 hours ago, Saucy said:

2 hours ago, Breesus said:

I noticed Dion & Blount have had good seasons but wow I didn’t realize those rushing numbers that’s a good stat. Thanks that makes me feel better about looking at him in the 4th. I’m probably going to end up with Kamara also so that could be a fun fantasy duo to own. 

Georgia RB Sony Michel fumbles the ball every 54.6 times he touches the football, per a list compiled by Dane Brugler.

The average for a prospect is one fumble every 124.5 touches, so Michel's qualifies as a potential red flag. Other popular names who fit the "red flag" tier include Akrum Wadley (67.4) and Kalen Ballage (66.5). The opposite end of the spectrum includes Ronald Jones (207.7) and Saquon Barkley (193.3).

All the talent in the world won’t help Sony if he does not have opportunity, and if Sony fumbles there is no way the Bilichick will play him, no way.  So it goes.

3 hours ago, Saucy said:

it seems like he's committed to Michel.

Maybe "enamored" is a better word than committed.  If Michel puts it on the turf multiple times then BB won't be committed to him.

Man, this mfr right here...

New year, I guess, but I'll take burkhead again.

Michel can work it in 'tween the twenties while Rexy produces.

15 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Maybe "enamored" is a better word than committed.  If Michel puts it on the turf multiple times then BB won't be committed to him.

If his fumbling problems are his biggest concern with seeing the field, then I view that as a positive. NE spent a first on him so I would bet they beleive they can coach up his fumbling issues. I just don’t see Bill spending a 1st rounds on a running back without his offensive coordinator having a clear vision for him, and in this offense that could be scary. 

Posted (edited)

First and foremost, this is the New England Patriots and the first thing you have to consider is who is "dialed in." 

For argument sake, we are not even going to consider Bolden in this dogfight. 

Gillislee and Hill are basically in the same spot on this roster - at the bottom.  Gillislee has had an additional year in the system which will be to his advantage and all too often, it takes a FA or rookie a year or two to get accustomed to the Patriots Way.  Enter Hill, does he get dialed into the system quicker or not...that is a big question mark.  Lastly, these guys are not necessarily your three-down backs - more like first two downs in your traditional sets but the Pats are not traditional and they are re-writing the book again.

James White is always going to be that rock solid third down back. 

Burkhead is definitely the lead back at the moment.  Guy ran like a Mack Truck filled with a bunch of bricks barreling down the Cumberland Gap with absolutely no remorse for his head or anybody else's health.  Great player.  Catches out of the backfield.  Issue here is that he was injured at the end of last season.  If he gets it dialed back in early, he is your lead back.....however....

...as I correctly read last year, you could see Dion slowing dialing it back in (go back to Dion Lewis' 2017 thread and please congratulate me on making a ridiculously great call....then go to the Evan Engram's thread and do the same....then go to the Eli Manning one and boo me).  Dion Lewis is a ridiculously athletic and strong running back, not just for his size either.   He barrelled, bounced, and out manuevered.  Sony is not Dion and I don't think it is a fair comparison.  Sony is going to be something else and we have yet to see how he is going to be utilized.  I do give Sony about 5 weeks to get it dialed in.  He is late round pick-up in my draft but I would love to have him - I believe he is going to get it done and that Hill and Gillislee are going to be average.

Edited by dudewithabadcat
  • Like 2

Love the player but since it'll probably end up being a split with Burkhead Id rather take the player with the lower ADP who, even in limited work last season due to injury, is the favorite this year to be in on the goal (according to Mike Reiss).

• Like 1

What we are completely missing is the fact the Pats picked up Ralph Webb as well.  He is no slouch and the Pats seem to really like him.  They paid him pretty well for an undrafted free-agent. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

" oh what a tangled Webb we weave ... "

<_<

Edited by howlin' 2

32 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

What we are completely missing is the fact the Pats picked up Ralph Webb as well.  He is no slouch and the Pats seem to really like him.  They paid him pretty well for an undrafted free-agent. 

He's making $70K, an investment that hardly guarantees he'll make it past training camp. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Im sure the Pats really liked Tyler Gaffney ad DJ Foster too. 

2 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

They re-upped Rex for a good amount too when you consider their history with contract RBs...

Burkhead signed a three-year contract worth $9.75 million, $5.5 million of which is guaranteed, as well as a $3 million signing bonus. The deal also comes with $3.75 million in incentives and he can earn an additional $500,000 each year in roster bonuses.

• Like 1

I own him in a couple Dynasty leagues and believe he's more a long term play than relying on weekly reliable output this year. This screams post Brady pick to me, when the offense may become more run centric. His skill set is similar to Burkhead, only with a higher ceiling. I don't see Burkhead as a long term centerpiece. The last time the Pats invested highly in a RB was Laurence Maroney, who consequently sucked, but J McDaniels sold BB on him. That may have been the case here I suspect, McDaniels looking at a year or two down the road, post Brady, Edelman and most likely Gronk. A very different offense. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Evincar said:

Im sure the Pats really liked Tyler Gaffney ad DJ Foster too. 

To be fair, Tyler Gaffney and DJ Foster were thought very highly of the org.  They just never panned out. 

On 6/27/2018 at 11:59 PM, Breesus said:

If his fumbling problems are his biggest concern with seeing the field, then I view that as a positive.

Yes, a “positive,” if you mean a positive for Burkhead.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, dudewithabadcat said:

I'm a Pats fan and I don't even know who that is.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I'm a Pats fan and I don't even know who that is.

He's the guy who will drop 200 yards on the Colts and then vanish.

18 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

He's the guy who will drop 200 yards on the Colts and then vanish.

Pats don't play Colts in the preseason.

Regardless, nobody in NE is talking about this person. 

On 7/2/2018 at 7:37 AM, dudewithabadcat said:

LOL give me a break

On 7/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, dudewithabadcat said:

concerned-chloe-gif_0.gif

• Haha 1