Fenamo

Nick Kingham 2018 Outlook

Kingham (Pirates) will be promoted to start Sunday against the Cardinals. He's a Tommy John survivor and has been nasty to start the year in AAA 10.72 K/9 30.3% K%. He may have developed some nastiness and could be worth a watchlist addition:

Nasty back-foot curve possibly developing into MLB caliber weapon?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fenamo said:

Kingham (Pirates) will be promoted to start Sunday against the Cardinals. He's a Tommy John survivor and has been nasty to start the year in AAA 10.72 K/9 30.3% K%. He may have developed some nastiness and could be worth a watchlist addition:

Nasty back-foot curve possibly developing into MLB caliber weapon?

Damn I just made a thread. I didn't see this one, haha.

I think he's got a bit of Jameson Taillon feel. Both of them had similiar types of scenarios play out. Both top prospects derailed by injury, and both dominated in the minors after their return and were up relatively quickly.

Brault and Kuhl can't hold this kid back if he wows them this weekend IMO.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

He looks great so far this year in AAA. Glad to see him coming back from TJ pitching well. I think he has a strong chance to stick in the rotation given his performance. I personally won't be jumping to the wire to grab him yet, but I think he is really someone to watch. 

On 4/27/2018 at 12:28 PM, klove42 said:

He looks great so far this year in AAA. Glad to see him coming back from TJ pitching well. I think he has a strong chance to stick in the rotation given his performance. I personally won't be jumping to the wire to grab him yet, but I think he is really someone to watch. 

Maybe reconsider on the jumping front?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

so what sort of pedigree is he? top pitching guy?

He wasn't a big name guy and missed a lot of time due to injury. The Pirates were actually granted an extra option year because he missed so much time. I really don't remember him being a top of the rotation guy but he's striking out a ton of guys this year. Had a 30% K rate in AAA.

I'd imagine theres a good chance Kingham sticks and bumps Brault out of the rotation. We'll have to wait and see when Musgrove is back, but thats a month from now. A lot can happen until now and then

The St. Louis offense isn't a joke like the Marlins are and I'm surprised that he has a perfect game going for him in the 6th. I really hope he stays after this game. Worth an add if you have the luxury.

33 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

He wasn't a big name guy and missed a lot of time due to injury. The Pirates were actually granted an extra option year because he missed so much time. I really don't remember him being a top of the rotation guy but he's striking out a ton of guys this year. Had a 30% K rate in AAA.

I'd imagine theres a good chance Kingham sticks and bumps Brault out of the rotation. We'll have to wait and see when Musgrove is back, but thats a month from now. A lot can happen until now and then

I'm a Pirates fan and I can assure you that his potential was through the roof before the injury.  We were salivating at a possible staff of Cole, Taillon, Kingham and Glasnow.  I would pick him up and ask questions later.  He could end up being a stud (especially if you're in a keeper league).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

He going back down?

It honestly wouldn't shock me if he did go back down but I think he deserves to stay up for now and see if he can have continued success. It's not like Kuhl or Brault are really blocking him. As someone mentioned earlier I think Brault is the odd man out if Kingham stays. I think he deserves the opportunity to at least have another opportunity next week given his performance today. 

1 minute ago, WTP333 said:

Nick Kingham is traveling with #Pirates to Washington tonight and not going back to Indy. No word yet on what this means for rotation and/or bullpen.

Well this is at least a sign he's not being sent back down. Let's hope he sticks in the rotation. 

43 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Well this is at least a sign he's not being sent back down. Let's hope he sticks in the rotation. 

I'm just a fan but I think it makes no sense to keep him around unless he is starting. What is the alternative? Long man / mop up duty? How do you keep him stretched out?

Apparently he added a new slider 

I suppose thats where all the K's have been coming from, 30% k rate in AAA and he had a 37.5% swinging strike rate on his slider today 

• Like 1

Pirates.com has probable pitchers Mon-Thurs listed as:  Taillon, Kuhl, Nova, Williams... Friday @MIL is TBA. That would be Brault's spot. 

Edited by Morat
  • Like 1

He was a consensus top 100 prospect before his TJ surgery (2014 &2015), so the pedigree is there. Was never expected to be an "ace" but a solid #2- middle rotation guy depending on the team.

9 minutes ago, Morat said:

Pirates.com has probable pitchers Mon-Thurs listed as:  Taillon, Kuhl, Nova, Williams... Friday @MIL is TBA. That would be Brault's spot. 

Whats the consensus? Would have brault skip a turn or go 6-man?

Demote Brault or have him in long relief is the only consensus here

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, midlip said:

Whats the consensus? Would have brault skip a turn or go 6-man?

My money is on Brault to the pen 

24 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Wow nice slide piece tailing down and away from a right handed batter. That's definitely a plus pitch and hard to believe he just added it to his arsenal this season.

• Like 1