Fenamo

Nick Kingham 2018 Outlook

47 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Wish we had more info on this guy, hate to grab and he’s sent down.

It's hard to assess in April who to cut, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and live with the consequences. Dropping your end of bench guy cant hurt that bad. There will be other pickups, this one is now.

• Like 1

I didn't get to watch the game so I only saw the highlights. That being said I know the highlights show his best stuff but the placement of his breaking pitches was ridiculous. He was also painting the black with his fastball. 

Just curious if he was showing great command of his 3 pitches all game? I assume so based on the line he put up. 

Edited by BostonCajun

7 hours ago, mannymachado said:

Fortune favors the bold my man. Just added him to the end of my bench (dropped Tehran).

7 hours ago, mannymachado said:

Me too .. but I needed to act fast because the league is 14 teams

I bit on the bullet and added him to my team. I also added Mike Soroka. Maybe, I just wasted two pickups for my week.

i dropped hill for him in my 12 team h2h cats dynasty. but i plan on picking hill back up for the 2nd half after he recovers from his 14th blister. 

@phatrat just posted this in the waiver wire thread.ooks like he's getting a shot to stay in the rotation. Let's hope he takes advantage of his next start. 

Kingham, who spun seven shutout, one-hit innings in his major-league debut Sunday against the Cardinals, boarded the Pirates' team flight to Washington following the game and is expected to receive another start this week, Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic Pittsburgh reports.

Due to an April 25 doubleheader against the Tigers, the Pirates were playing their sixth game in five days Sunday and thus required a sixth starter on a temporary basis. The expectation was that Kingham would make a spot start before returning to Triple-A Indianapolis following the outing, but those plans likely changed after the right-hander carried a perfect game into the seventh inning and finished with nine strikeouts. With Steven Brault reaching the sixth inning just once in his five starts this season and owning an unremarkable 4.97 ERA and 1.34 WHIP, it appears he'll surrender his spot in the rotation to Kingham and either move to the bullpen or head to Triple-A. Kingham likely lines up for his second start with the Pirates on his normal four days' rest Friday in Milwaukee.

• Like 2

Media preview

Not exactly what you want to hear if you are a Kingham owner. 

This was published yesterday, the comments *might* have been received before yesterdays game. https://theathletic.com/335340/2018/04/29/the-week-that-was-tyler-glasnow-gets-some-tips-jameson-taillon-figures-out-his-issue-chad-kuhl-sees-a-star/

Edited by mpbaseball22

34 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Not exactly what you want to hear if you are a Kingham owner. 

This was published yesterday, the comments *might* have been received before yesterdays game. https://theathletic.com/335340/2018/04/29/the-week-that-was-tyler-glasnow-gets-some-tips-jameson-taillon-figures-out-his-issue-chad-kuhl-sees-a-star/

Yeah I mean who knows when that was written, or what was known at the time it was written.  FWIW, the blurb on the ESPN fantasy app has him as potentially starting Friday on what would be his normal rest.  And the app I use to check scores and news (theScore) has him already listed as the starter for Friday's game @ MIL going against Guerra.  That spot was previously TBD last night/early this morning.  

http://piratesbreakdown.com/2018/04/30/pittsburgh-pirates-nick-kinghams-historic-day/

From today..

What does this start mean for Kingham?

After Enny Romero was put on the DL, a roster spot opened.  Right now, Kingham is still on the team.  He made the trip to Washington.  As it stands now,  Jameson Taillon, Chad Kuhl, Ivan Nova, and Trevor Williams will start the next four games.  That leaves Friday’s slot open.  Either Kingham or Steven Brault will start that game.

Brault has struggled this year.  Right now, he is 2-1 with a 4.97 ERA.  Those numbers do him justice.  In reality, Brault has struck out 14.5 percent of batters this year and walked 12.1 percent.  His xFIP is 5.57.  He has three more strikeouts than he does walks (18 to 15) in 29 innings pitched.

In my humble opinion, Kingham should get another start Friday night at the Milwaukee Brewers.  Slide Brault into Tyler Glasnow‘s current role of long man reliever.  Get Glasnow in some higher leverage situations.

Will the Pirates take this approach?  It’s hard to tell.  Usually, the Pirates are not an organization to make rash, reactionary decisions.  I mean, Kingham had one great start.

In this case though, a perfect storm is in the brew for Kingham.  He killed it yesterday.  Nobody foresaw such an outstanding start from him.  Contrarily, Brault has struggled.  He’s fought subpar command and hasn’t showed the stuff to finish batters.  He is merely a stopgap to Joe Musgrove.  Let Kingham take that role for now.

If Kingham can show dominance in the near future, the Pirates would have a much harder decision on the horizon.

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah I mean who knows when that was written, or what was known at the time it was written.  FWIW, the blurb on the ESPN fantasy app has him as potentially starting Friday on what would be his normal rest.  And the app I use to check scores and news (theScore) has him already listed as the starter for Friday's game @ MIL going against Guerra.  That spot was previously TBD last night/early this morning.  

Ya, although I'd hope The Athletic would be able to keep their info as up to date as possible. However after Friday is when things will get interesting because that's when the off days start to become a factor. Wouldn't be surprised if Kingham is demoted for a batter after Friday because the Pirates are already going with a short bench, and Brault could still move to the bullpen.

OR if Taillon sucks today, maybe they skip his next start 

2 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Ya, although I'd hope The Athletic would be able to keep their info as up to date as possible. However after Friday is when things will get interesting because that's when the off days start to become a factor. Wouldn't be surprised if Kingham is demoted for a batter after Friday because the Pirates are already going with a short bench, and Brault could still move to the bullpen.

OR if Taillon sucks today, maybe they skip his next start 

Yeah I think the biggest takeaway is that it is definitely a hold and hope situation at the moment.  Given what we know right now, he is definitely worth a hold, because it could pay dividends.  Worst case scenario - it is just a drop.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah I think the biggest takeaway is that it is definitely a hold and hope situation at the moment.  Given what we know right now, he is definitely worth a hold, because it could pay dividends.  Worst case scenario - burn your #1 waiver, then it is just a drop.

Fixed that for ya..

• Haha 1

So the door is cracked. Let's see it kicked down. Friday I watch baseball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pjoner said:

who is rolling him out tonight?

I am. Brewers are not so hot as of late. 26th on the MLB Team Batting Stats for the last 7 days.

• Thanks 1