Fenamo

Nick Kingham 2018 Outlook

11 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Is everyone still holding? I know he is a better pitcher then Carlos Rodon or Marco Gonzales but guys like that can help you right now. 

When I seen this thread bumped I thought he got recalled so I was ready to go league Kingham hunting. 

If the league is deep then I think he is a hold ....but otherwise he is sitting on the FA wire 

2 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Will he have 2 starts??

He'll get at least another against STL. It'll be interesting to see if the Pirates make Nova go on a rehab assignment. The injury seems minor but Nova could use some time in AAA...

13 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Anyone confident Kingham will stay in rotation with a good outting today?

He'll get two starts, then it'll depend on if Nova goes on a rehab assignment or not

3 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Unfortunately for anyone who starts Kingham, we all know he will have at least one HBP today.

Let's hope the umpires handle it correctly and don't immediately toss him. 

I think a HBP would be the worst thing Kingham could do. He needs to stay focused on pitching. Much rather have a reliever come in and plunk Rizzo or have a borderline slide into any of their fielders. Kingham has the stuff to be a SP2/3 

15 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

No, that’s why I asked the question.

Rizzo made a controversial slide that injured the Pirates catcher.  Kingham is the starting pitcher today and will surely be plunking Rizzo.  Best case scenario, that just adds to his WHIP (and potentially ERA) and removes any chance at a perfect game.     :P

Worst case scenario - he gets ejected.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pap said:

HBP doesnt count for WHIP:D

Ok didn't realize that.  I'm in a points league (HBP is -1) so it will impact me. 

19 minutes ago, Pap said:

HBP doesnt count for WHIP:D

odd that WHIP doesn't count HBPs.. i know that literally WHIP stands for walks and hits, but i thought the intent of the stat was to show how often a pitcher allows a base-runner on a per inning basis.

edit: according to wikipedia, the only reason HBP isn't including in WHIP is some quirk from newspaper stats years ago:

The stat was invented in 1979 by writer Daniel Okrent,[1] who called the metric "innings pitched ratio" at the time. Okrent excluded hit batsmen from the numerator of baserunners allowed since Sunday newspapers did not include hit batsmen in their statistical updates.[2]

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

Let's hope the umpires handle it correctly and don't immediately toss him. 

this is what will exactly happen given he is young...

Hopefully he can pick up where he left off ... would love to see Pittsburgh just leave him in the rotation and quit shuffling him back and forth

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Seemed to be cruising the first 3 innings. Anyone who watched have any take? 

Pitches were getting a lot of the plate. Zobrist homer was a slider that he guessed right on. Kingham relies to heavily on that slider being in the strike zone. Gets kind of predictable.

Kingham's change up was excellent tonight. His slider was good and his FB was average. He had excellent command and basically worked backwards by relying upon his change up and slider. He had really good tempo and worked fast. It looked like hitters were settling in and were more comfortable the second time around. Personally, I see Kingham as a SP5/6 type in fantasy baseball. The best thing I like about him is that he goes after batters and he doesn't give free passes, and his change up is good enough to strike out batters. But, his FB is very hittable.

Edited by BCMarch10