Gohawks

Rashaad Penny 2018 Outlook

On 8/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, Beasting my Mode said:

I picked him up in the 7th round... kinda shaking in my boots a lil hope he breaks out

He's a wait and see stash, like all SEA rb's he will  eventually get his turn

15 minutes ago, kco734 said:

split backfield with Carson. Is he a buy low candidate? 

If I had him I wouldn't be trading him now until I saw this play out some more.

2 hours ago, kco734 said:

split backfield with Carson. Is he a buy low candidate? 

I wouldn't spend much. But I fully expect him to take over the backfield. Now what he does once that happens is anyone's guess. Seattle's offense looks bad and the OLine looks even worse.

It's a tough backfield to own cuz they have a lot of options, none of which really stick out from the other for different reasons.  Be it talent, or the coaching staff's affinity for certain players. I'd be good with Carson or Penny as a depth piece on my roster, with Penny being the slightly more appealing own RoS. 

Who is the better pass catching back since Baldwin is now done and their best receiver is now Brandon Marshall?

25 minutes ago, Woonga24 said:

Who is the better pass catching back since Baldwin is now done and their best receiver is now Brandon Marshall?

Equal. Split targets W1. Neither that quick out of the backfield. But they threw to them a lot week 1. More a product of horrible game management.

Carson seems like the better back for sure. Penny seemed too hesitant and didn’t fight for those extra yards. A couple of times he fell to the ground before he even got touched. We’ll see what happens but I sure hope Penny does better next week.

Difficult to assess Penny on that week 1 performance after missing weeks of valuable reps. The guy needs time to gel with the o-line. 

Honestly, I’m more encouraged with the 4/35 receiving than I’m discouraged with the 7/8 rushing. Obviously wish he ran better, but rushing to judgment in this case seems unwise. I love to see that usage as a receiver so quickly. With Baldwin gimped, and Seattles offense being what it is, Penny’s potential role in the passing game along with his lesser role as a runner (for the time being) could be great in ppr real soon. A role in which Carroll so badly wanted Procise to breakout. 

• Like 1

Smells like rbbc to me and if i was a betting man Carson appears to be the placeholder until Penny can take the job from him---

While coach Pete Carroll said the two of them are going to continue to split time in the backfield, he made it clear that Carson is the favorite for now.

“Chris I thought looked really good,” Carroll said at Tuesday’s press conference. “He was really aggressive and did what he could with the plays that he had.

“Chris really took the lead at the position after that game.”

“Rashaad looked a little rusty to me,” Carroll said. “He really only had one good week of practice and it wasn’t enough. He needs more work. He’s going to work real hard to make sure he’s ready to go. We’ll work him in. We love the chance of getting him in there, we are going to keep looking for it.”

Carroll also offered a challenge to the rookie: “Rashaad really needs to get primed like he was about a month ago.”

Seahawks fans should expect to see both Penny and Carson in the fold next Monday against the Chicago Bears. However, the No. 1 back in Seattle at the moment is Carson, and until Penny steps up it will be Carson’s job to lose.

Tough backfield.  Roster a piece and hope you guessed right or got lucky.  If I had to decide between the big 2, I'd take Penny by a nose hair.  I think they do like both backs, and they will share the load, but they didn't spend a 1st on Penny cuz they thought he was a RBBC type talent.   Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Boo said:

Word just came out D. Freeman's not practicing again, so I think Coleman (at least for this week) has potentially a lot of upside.  Someone dropped Wentz in my league, I'm actually thinking about dropping Penny for him.  I kinda don't see a path at this point for Penny and I don't think Carroll is going to hone in on one back.

Yeah I just saw that Freeman news too, and immediately edited my post just as you typed yours.  That's why it's hard to drop Coleman for a Penny type lotto ticket.  Coleman immediately jumps into RB1 territory with a Freeman injury.

26 minutes ago, No1Statistican said:

Safe drop for me

that would be a mistake, he still has value as a stash, should be shopping him around if anything.  can't imagine the pick up you get back is of equal value to his potential unless you are strapped by injuries this early he shouldn't be the first drop

Not sure why anyone would be dropping Penny after week 1. I mean, why did you bother drafting him? Were you expecting him to have a breakout game right out of the gate, despite everything we knew going in? Yes, 7/8 rushing sucks, but 4/35 rec is pretty good.

Alex Collins went 7/13 rushing and 1/6 rec. People dropping him too? The fact that Collins happened to score a TD doesn’t change the rushing/receiving numbers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No1Statistican said:

Safe drop for me

I guess Jimmy Graham would be your definition of a safe drop too?  The timeshare was literally 50/50 in week 1, where Carson was announced as the starter.  They're not going to stop giving opportunities to their 1st round draft pick.

1 hour ago, No1Statistican said:

Safe drop for me

You drafted poorly if you are dropping him already.  He shouldn't have been on your roster as a starter, but as a guy that might be a flex/rb2 by week 4 or so.

1 hour ago, Kyle87 said:

You drafted poorly if you are dropping him already.  He shouldn't have been on your roster as a starter, but as a guy that might be a flex/rb2 by week 4 or so.

I dropped him because i have accepted that SEA has a bad offense and it's not worth hoding any rb in this backfield. This is the Russell Wilson show, lots of scrambling and long bombs

Edited by dashoe

Penny started getting carries at end of game per boxscore.  How did he look?  Why did he got most of carries at end of game - was Carson hurt?

Just now, nine9s said:

Penny started getting carries at end of game per boxscore.  How did he look?  Why did he got most of carries at end of game - was Carson hurt?

SEA went into a hurry up offense, not sure why he got the call over Carson but Davis and prosise also were ahead of carson in the last quaerter

nope this is a mess and garbage backfield, carson gets some, penny gets some, mike davis comes in and gets some, and prosise was in at the end.

Don't know what to do with this guy. Feel like the game scripts + lack of touches are killing his chances at a breakout game. 

Penny remains a hold/stash in deeper leagues. It is Penny's backfield sooner rather than later. Problem is the offensive scheme and OLine both suck. Might get better as they adjust later in the season. Going to be a rough 1st half.