• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
BrianM

Matt Ryan 2018 Outlook

I'm looking into second and third tier QB's a bit, and wondering what's the POV on Ryan for 2018 of the masses.     Obviously the OC change made a big difference, but it seemed like they improved a bit, at least in efficiency, as the season wore on.   

Could another year of familiarity, along with Calvin Ridley, help push Ryan back up into clear QB1 status, or was 2016 just an anomaly.?

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

I'm looking into second and third tier QB's a bit, and wondering what's the POV on Ryan for 2018 of the masses.     Obviously the OC change made a big difference, but it seemed like they improved a bit, at least in efficiency, as the season wore on.   

Could another year of familiarity, along with Calvin Ridley, help push Ryan back up into clear QB1 status, or was 2016 just an anomaly.?

2016 definitely looking like his career year but there's reason to believe he can improve for 2018 - adding Ridley certainly helps.

However, he finished around the #15 scoring fantasy QB last season and his current ADP is QB14 per FFCalc.  There's too many other QB going after him that I'd prefer getting later (Dak, Stafford, Mariota, Mahomes & would actually rather have Trubisky at overall pick 165 vs 104 for Ryan).

30 Million a year,  Ouch!

He's good but far from elite. And he's also responsible for the biggest choke job in Super Bowl history. But hey, get your money Matt. Congrats 

DcTDvFCVQAAalgn.jpg

$30M/yr for this guy...

• Haha 2

Not elite, but who else is going to give this team the best chance?  Free agency is a barren wasteland.  Crazy that they had to pony up that much though.

3 hours ago, South Carolina said:

He's good but far from elite. And he's also responsible for the biggest choke job in Super Bowl history. But hey, get your money Matt. Congrats 

Obviously he deserves some blame but that loss is mostly on the defense and coaching staff.

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Not elite, but who else is going to give this team the best chance?  Free agency is a barren wasteland.  Crazy that they had to pony up that much though.

Groom someone for cheaper.  His numbers aren't that different than Bortles last year. I'd take Bortles and save the $13 million to spend elsewhere on a roster.  Ryan is 33 in a couple weeks, and coming off a down year.  I'm not sure how these QB salaries are always a raise to top the last. I get if the guy is in his prime and suddenly looks like a hall of famer.  That is not the case lately.

8 hours ago, Evincar said:

Obviously he deserves some blame but that loss is mostly on the defense and coaching staff.

Please don't get me wrong, he's a very good QB. If he hit free agency teams would be lined up for him. But he's not in that "Elite" club. He's somewhere in that that 2nd tier. But he really is responsible for that Superbowl loss. All he needed was 1 first down to lock it up. He was terrible in that 4th quarter. He totally locked up. That's not elite.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Did you even watch that Super Bowl?

4 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Please don't get me wrong, he's a very good QB. If he hit free agency teams would be lined up for him. But he's not in that "Elite" club. He's somewhere in that that 2nd tier. But he really is responsible for that Superbowl loss. All he needed was 1 first down to lock it up. He was terrible in that 4th quarter. He totally locked up. That's not elite.

To be fair there is a ton of quarterbacks in that second tier.. Aside from Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Bree's ( Not having too much put on his plate anymore) .. you can lump about ten QB's in that next tier. Unfortunately you really don't have much of an alternative than to pay him you can count the Elite guys on one hand. 

5 hours ago, NyCro said:

To be fair there is a ton of quarterbacks in that second tier.. Aside from Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Bree's ( Not having too much put on his plate anymore) .. you can lump about ten QB's in that next tier. Unfortunately you really don't have much of an alternative than to pay him you can count the Elite guys on one hand. 

I agree with you. But man, that's a lot of $$$$ for a good QB. What does that say about A-Rods value?

36 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

I agree with you. But man, that's a lot of $$$$ for a good QB. What does that say about A-Rods value?

I think this makes someone value like A Rod non proportional. If Ryan is worth 30 a year, than A Rod is worth a number that cant be sustained by a football team so he cant be paid proportionally.

I don't understand why people complain about lesser QB's getting paid. It is the most valuable position. Some team will pay a former league MVP that much, or more, if the Falcons weren't going to. The guaranteed contract Cousins got is evidence of that.

QB contracts have nothing to do with where they rank skill-wise to the rest of the QB's in the league. The next one to get paid gets more if they are deemed a franchise-level QB.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't understand why people complain about lesser QB's getting paid. It is the most valuable position. Some team will pay a former league MVP that much, or more, if the Falcons weren't going to. The guaranteed contract Cousins got is evidence of that.

QB contracts have nothing to do with where they rank skill-wise to the rest of the QB's in the league. The next one to get paid gets more if they are deemed a franchise-level QB.

My season tickets aren't getting cheaper either.

QB’s are paid what they’re worth.  But, the most likely time to win a Super Bowl is when the QB is underpaid.  QB’s underpaid during their rookie contracts and at the end of their extended contract.  For example, A. Rodgers is currently underpaid and that should allow the team to surround him with more talent, and make a Super Bowl run.  

Paying Rodgers with 2 years left on his contract is stupid from a financial standpoint.  The next 2 years is the window of opportunity...

So Rodgers... do you want to be a top10 (possibly top5) HoF QB with 2+ Rings or do want to be paid? (Early)

Decide carefully, because Brady already has...

The teams most likely to challenge NE is the Eagles & Rams (both teams with QBs on rookie contacts) and the Vikings, Saints, and Chargers who have nailed their drafts.  Cowboys & KC also have a window of opportunity...

Matt Ryan, you’ve done great if your team makes the playoffs.

53 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

My season tickets aren't getting cheaper either.

Blame the TV deals for that one.

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

I blame everyone everythime I have to write that check, haha.

Pretty quiet in here.  Anyone think he bounces back this year or is everyone staying away?  Seems like decent option if you wait to take a qb?

Yes, I think he is top 5 this year. Falcons are mega talented on offense with a 2nd year in the system. Adding Ridley just brings another guy that can get open opposite of Julio. I think we also underestimate the toll that a Super Bowl run takes on a team physically and even mentally. The lowered expectations could be a breath of fresh air for this team.

2 hours ago, Agmaniacmike said:

Yes, I think he is top 5 this year. Falcons are mega talented on offense with a 2nd year in the system. Adding Ridley just brings another guy that can get open opposite of Julio. I think we also underestimate the toll that a Super Bowl run takes on a team physically and even mentally. The lowered expectations could be a breath of fresh air for this team.

I don't see top 5 at all. I'm more in the 10-15 range. He went undrafted in one of my lesser leagues if that's worth anything.