fawkes_mulder

Cavan Biggio -- INF Toronto

Craig Biggio's 23 year old son. H/T to @wily mo and @brockpapersizer in the deep prospects thread. Have a feeling he's going to deserve his own thread, so just getting it started early.

1. INF Cavan Biggio

Current affiliate: Double-A New Hampshire
Height: 6-foot-1 | Weight: 203
Projected MLB ETA: 2020
Season stats: .333/.435/.725 with 4 HR, 14 RBI, 3 SB in 62 plate appearances at Double-A
Past week: .429/.519/.952 with 3 HR, 8 RBI, 1 SB in 27 plate appearances at Double-A

It was quite the week for Craig’s kid, who homered in three straight games from Saturday through Monday and is currently riding a seven-game hitting streak. One of the most interesting aspects to Biggio’s hot start is he seems to be the latest to join the air ball revolution. After hitting 43.7 per cent fly balls last season, Biggio is hitting 56.4 per cent of his balls in the air now, with his ground-ball rate dropping from 35.8 per cent to 28.2 per cent. Defensively, with seven games at first base, five at second and one at third, Biggio is being groomed as another super-utility type, which seems to be the organizational philosophy lately with the way rosters are being constructed at the big-league level.

https://www.tsn.ca/future-watch-cavan-biggio-s-power-surge-lands-him-in-top-spot-1.1067734

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Scott Kingery a possible recent comp?

He seems to walk a lot more than Kingery every did.  If the power is legit, he could potentially have more upside?  I'm not sure whos a better base stealer.  I guess that's the hope though, Kingery type player. 

@garlando liekes him too, so between his words and @wily mo's, I picked him up. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

kingery gets really good speed grades; i don't think cavan is going to be a basestealer. up until this year he was seen as kind of a decent bat and eye, not a lot of speed, not a lot of power, boring 2B/utility type prospect. but putting it mildly, he's really added power so far this year - as that writeup notes, he seems to be going full hashtag flyball revolution. his ISOs have gone from .084 in short season after he was drafted, to .130 last year in high A, to .351 so far this year. not bad. and his walk and K rates are also trending positively at the same time.

so kingery's always going to be more of an athlete and basestealer, i think. biggio's not really the same type of player. more of a pure bat type 2B. but if he keeps hitting like this, he can be really good anyway. something in the vein of your neil walkers, jed lowries, cross your fingers for a daniel murphy, that sort of thing

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wily mo said:

kingery gets really good speed grades; i don't think cavan is going to be a basestealer. up until this year he was seen as kind of a decent bat and eye, not a lot of speed, not a lot of power, boring 2B/utility type prospect. but putting it mildly, he's really added power so far this year - as that writeup notes, he seems to be going full hashtag flyball revolution. his ISOs have gone from .084 in short season after he was drafted, to .130 last year in high A, to .351 so far this year. not bad. and his walk and K rates are also trending positively at the same time.

so kingery's always going to be more of an athlete and basestealer, i think. biggio's not really the same type of player. more of a pure bat type 2B. but if he keeps hitting like this, he can be really good anyway. something in the vein of your neil walkers, jed lowries, cross your fingers for a daniel murphy, that sort of thing

His dad wasnt the fastes but he used to steal bases and hit for average. Anything close to his daddy would be a great fantasy asset.

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

His dad wasnt the fastes but he used to steal bases and hit for average. Anything close to his daddy would be a great fantasy asset.

His dad was a Hall of Famer.  I would think 50% of his dad would be a huge fantasy asset.  Hope the kid finds his own way without always being compared to his dad.  

Man the Jays are looking like the new young super team in the same mold of what Cubs and Astros did, and what Phillies and White Sox are trying to do. 

Vlad

Bo

Biggio

Jansen

Alford

Pearson

If there's another player that joins that herd, things look bright in 2019 and onwards.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Man the Jays are looking like the new young super team in the same mold of what Cubs and Astros did, and what Phillies and White Sox are trying to do. 

Vlad

Bo

Biggio

Jansen

Alford

Pearson

If there's another player that joins that herd, things look bright in 2019 and onwards.

and if there isn't then the future doesn't look bright?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Vlad

Bo

Biggio

Jansen

Alford

Pearson

Kevin Smith 

• Like 4

Hit another homer today thats 12 in 33 games has 4 thefts and is hitting .313

7 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Vlad

Bo

Biggio

Jansen

Alford

Pearson

Don't forget Teo ;)

Can Cavan hit lefties? Just curious if someone knew, thanks-

To paraphrase Kieth Law's take:

Cavan Biggio - power appears legitimate, 20-homer bat. Below avg to avg defender at best, might be best on defense at first, but that makes him part timer. But the bat looks like real, sustainable progress.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:17 AM, Travis Burten said:

Vlad

Bo

Biggio

Jansen

Alford

Pearson

Hopefully we can add a couple more nice names to that list by selling Donalson and others.

• Like 3

Really don't know what to make of this guy. K rate is at 25.7%, but he has an insane BB% and a really good swstr% of 8.7%. HR/FB has more than tripled. Wish I knew if he has unlocked more exit velo / bat speed somehow. Anyone have links to updated scouting reports?

Keith Law wasn’t said his bat speed was basically good enough but not great. 

In a fangraphs Chat I believe Kiley M was a little down, said likely Jed Lowrie type but pray for Daniel Murphy’ish. Queue the Dumb and Dumber meme, so you’re saying there’s a chance. Honestly thought getting shares if you can isn’t a bad idea, sometimes guys bust out and it’s real more or less. His stats make the tea leaves hard to read but the numbers are there. Dude needs to stay a 2B and you get a decent avg with 20 hr pop and like Kiley ‘may’ have said, hope for more. 

• Like 1

July stats (23 yrs old, AA):

• 18 games
  • .204/.413/.481 (152 wRC+)
  • 4 HR
  • 3 SB (2 CS) 
  • 27% BB-rate, 31% K-rate

2018 overall stats:

• 94 games
  • .257/.398/.524 (152 wRC+)
  • 20 HR
  • 12 SB (7 CS)
  • 19% BB-rate, 27% K-rate
  • Like 1

What a volatile stat line...He could suck just as much as he could be amazing but a more likely comp seems to be a Billy Miller type. 

Edited by tucker26

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

July stats (23 yrs old, AA):

• 18 games
  • .204/.413/.481 (152 wRC+)
  • 4 HR
  • 3 SB (2 CS) 
  • 27% BB-rate, 31% K-rate

2018 overall stats:

• 94 games
  • .257/.398/.524 (152 wRC+)
  • 20 HR
  • 12 SB (7 CS)
  • 19% BB-rate, 27% K-rate

K rate is pretty scary for a profile like this.

I think he eventually makes it to the majors, but I have a hard time seeing him with a permanent lineup spot. 

Was solid in the AZFAL league with an .820 OPS and a 1-1 BB/K rate. There's gotta be a place for Cavan in the big leagues. It feels like he's flying a little under the radar in most prospect lists. 

He's a fringy prospect at best, I trust Klaw's evals on him, here's a snippet from AL East guide--where he didn't even rank in teams' top 20:

"Biggio had a superficially nice year, with more than 100 walks and 26 homers, but it's largely an illusion -- he knows a ball from a strike but doesn't hit better pitching, and word got around the Eastern League early that he was trying to pull everything he could turn on. From June 1 on, he hit .219/.363/.413 with a 27 percent strikeout rate, and he was totally overmatched in the Fall League when I saw him. He also has no position -- maybe right field, probably left or first base -- and his bat isn't going to profile at any of those spots."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2