fawkes_mulder

Cavan Biggio -- INF Toronto

11 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's a fringy prospect at best, I trust Klaw's evals on him, here's a snippet from AL East guide--where he didn't even rank in teams' top 20:

"Biggio had a superficially nice year, with more than 100 walks and 26 homers, but it's largely an illusion -- he knows a ball from a strike but doesn't hit better pitching, and word got around the Eastern League early that he was trying to pull everything he could turn on. From June 1 on, he hit .219/.363/.413 with a 27 percent strikeout rate, and he was totally overmatched in the Fall League when I saw him. He also has no position -- maybe right field, probably left or first base -- and his bat isn't going to profile at any of those spots."

May agree with the numbers but not the opportunity.  I don’t see who is blocking him at 2nd base. Vlad will be at 1st very soon, he may not even see 3rd.  Bichette will be at 3rd, Smith at SS.  2nd is Biggio’s, Travis won’t hold him off or last very long.  Biggio will have to prove himself in the first half though.

9 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

May agree with the numbers but not the opportunity.  I don’t see who is blocking him at 2nd base. Vlad will be at 1st very soon, he may not even see 3rd.  Bichette will be at 3rd, Smith at SS.  2nd is Biggio’s, Travis won’t hold him off or last very long.  Biggio will have to prove himself in the first half though.

Really tough to predict how an infield of prospects is going to shake up in a couple years. I assumed Bichette would stay at 2 and Vlad at 3b for a few years. They also have Groshans who seems like 3b eventually and Orelvis Martinez further down.  I think it's also fair to think they get an infielder via trade or free agency within the next two years.

Biggio will need to hit the whole time. It's possible, but also a really good chance he doesn't. As Steven said from the Law blurb, he was exposed in the second half. HEe could turn it around and adjust, but he has two levels ahead of him and he's 24 in almost a month or so.

If someone in your league values him well based off bloodlines and last year's stats, I'm easily moving him.  Even if it does work out for him and he's a regular, I don't think there's enough upside here that you'll be shaking your head saying "Man if only I didn't trade away Biggio". Upside seems like a starter in a deep league. Very lazy comp, but like good Neil Walker.

Edited by brockpapersizer

I traded him for Yu Chang in a league where I need some SS depth and was happy to do it. Although a pull-heavy hitter with limited defensive value can certainly succeed in Toronto I'd rather place my trust in a more defensively oriented player with similar reported tools but less statistical production

• Like 1

Was at the Bisons Opening Day yesterday, and Cavan looked incredible in his AAA debut.

HR

SB

3 RBI

Run scored

Did a bit of everything. The HR was crushed off of Gio Gonzalez.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hard1 said:

What position? 

He played 2B. And here's the HR:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's worth noting that earlier reports were that he capitalized hitting well off crappy pitching, but this homer was off a major league talent in Gio Gonzalez.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It's worth noting that earlier reports were that he capitalized hitting well off crappy pitching, but this homer was off a major league talent in Gio Gonzalez.  

And a lefty too.

• Like 1

Gotta love the numbers in AAA so far. 13 games – .439/.529/.659 – 6/2/5/2 – 9BB:8K

Really getting my hopes up that he can be a part of the Vladdy/Bo core.

Vlad has all the attention cause this guy is def getting zero love this year...

4 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

Also what do you think his ceiling is?

Poor man's chase Utley 

• Like 1

Watching this guy live was a treat. He's a professional hitter. Approach is rarely/never compromised - doesn't get fooled or swing at garbage and doesn't seem to ever get away from himself. Very professional hitter. Versatile player, as well. Could see him ending up as a Ben Zobrist type. 

I wanted to hear more about gio not biggio... lol... so yeah cavan maybe he can contribute this year...

14 hours ago, paintingtheblack said:

Watching this guy live was a treat. He's a professional hitter. Approach is rarely/never compromised - doesn't get fooled or swing at garbage and doesn't seem to ever get away from himself. Very professional hitter. Versatile player, as well. Could see him ending up as a Ben Zobrist type. 

Last year he struck out 150 times in 560 PAs.

maybe he improved in that department this year. 

His K rate was 26% but this year it’s down to 14%. I love the walk rate though!

he walked 100 times last year and this year he has more walks then strikeouts. 

If Carlos Santana can stick around in major league lineups batting anywhere in the top 5, hitting .250/.350 and with less speed than Cavan... why can't Biggio? I could see Bichette leading off in the future but Biggio should hit somewhere in the vicinity of Vlad.. possibly 2nd if the coach values OBP.

Anyway he's 3/4 today with another HR, slashing .415/.500/.642

2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The majority here do though as seen by all the tags from me telling them to temper expectations from Story and Morneau.  

Agree to disagree that the majority of people think he's Trevor Story.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

OK since Chris Owings won't work for most, how about current Zack Collins at a less premium fantasy position with less power?

What’s the rush to label him as somebody?  Carlos Correa was suppose to be the next A-Rod how’s that worked out?  We haven’t even seen him in the majors yet so how can we compare him to anyone?  All we know is he has elite bloodlines, great OBP potential, plus power, and strikeout issues.  There’s many guys with his K profile who have carved out good careers.  And power can come and go at different ages.  Brian Dozier never had above 9 homers in a minor league season and came up and was a prolific home run hitter for a number of years at 2B.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

His future grade for power was higher than Biggio's however.  That and as we have seen with launch angle changes recently (Yandy Diaz).  Base stats don't tell the entire story.  Looking at all the statcast data would be the best way but I haven't seen any for Biggio yet.  Without that, advanced metrics are all I can use and they are screaming gross regression on his part.  

Well could we argue that he’s likely already had major swing changes in his career?  He had 0 homers in his first minor league season of 280 at bats.  Then 2 years later he uncorked 26 and slugged .500, and also walked 100 times.  Those are pretty massive strides in a short amount of time.  Without having dug deep into it I would guess he’s likely a late bloomer athletically which means his scouting power grade might take more time to evolve.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Yes it is, and that's fine.  But to automatically attack someone because they have a different opinion is stupid. 

I absolutely agree with this - except it seems like you're trying to make your opinion the dominant/correct one. It's perfectly ok if you personally want to avoid him based on draft position/earlier scouting reports or for any other reason you like whether we agree with it or not.

But just because you say his ceiling is Marcus Semien with slightly more BB's doesn't mean that it is. It certainly *could* be, but no one can possibly know for sure what type of player he'll be at the MLB level long term until he actually gets there for a few seasons.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to want to avoid him, nor do I think it's unreasonable to be excited about him either (I'm in the latter camp personally).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Oh and add in a shift, Biggio pulls significantly more balls, which would lead to an even lower average.

Can't you get past your bias? Heres a link to a video.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/makes-jays-prospect-cavan-biggio-mature-hitter/

It's a video of his AAA manager discussing with a reporter all about Biggio and all the things he's been doing and what they been working with him.

If you watch it with a open mind you will be impressed and will admit this is a player that can learn to hit better.

But don't worry you will not watch it because you know you will have to admit your wrong on this one and I don't think you can do it.