fawkes_mulder

Cavan Biggio -- INF Toronto

He good, tho.

How'd he do today? 1/2 with 2 RBI and 3 more BBs - slash line up to .418/.522/.636

Leading the IL in BA & OBP, and 2nd in OPS.

• Like 2

Everyone please stop this back and forth and bring the thread back to Biggio. Thanks

• Like 2

I think biggio is more likely called up if Vladdy can lead the Jays to some wins. If Biggio can jump Bichette to the majors while Bo is hurt it would really speed his career up. If the Jays keep losing big they prolly won't call anybody else up and just push them to next year. So they can sell some optimism for yet another year without bringing in any real talent.

Biggio is 24. They aren't waiting another year IMO. I think he'll be up this summer. They need to see what they have here.

• Like 6

1 for 3 with a homer and a walk last night

On 4/26/2019 at 11:30 AM, fletch44 said:

Biggio is 24. They aren't waiting another year IMO. I think he'll be up this summer. They need to see what they have here.

Would be great to call him up 2 weeks into next season so they can control him for 7 years so he can't be a free agent until 33

Baseball is so f'ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Would be great to call him up 2 weeks into next season so they can control him for 7 years so he can't be a free agent until 33

Baseball is so f'ed

Yup, pretty dumb! Lots of talk here in the GTA about him getting the call soon. I think he's either going to be real good or real bad when he gets the call... Shot up through the minors last year rather suddenly. Atkins and Shaprio have done a good job with our farm system, I'm impressed.

Would kieboom production be a realistic expectation if he’s called up? Is he at a similar talent level? 

Another homer and 3 walks last night..has drawn a walk in 8 straight games.

Taken from TSN. Some more encouraging info:

Over the winter we mentioned on a couple of occasions that the 24-year-old’s age and college pedigree would likely mean that, with a good start, he could see the majors by June or July, rather than be put on the Bichette plan where all the stars would have to align for a call-up.

That’s exactly what’s happened, as Biggio has come out of the gates hot in Buffalo, running up a .361/.495/.625 slash line with a team-leading five home runs in 23 games.

Most impressively, the left-handed hitter has been able to keep his walk rate from Double-A a year ago intact — 21.5 percent this year, up from 17.8 percent in Double-A — while also cutting his strikeouts from 26.3 per cent to 17.2 per cent.

It’s obviously a small sample size and just one month of baseball, but Biggio is also hitting fewer ground balls and more line drives, and generally doing everything in his power to force the Blue Jays front office’s hand.

There are roster dominoes that need to fall ahead of him before he gets a chance, but the fact he’s played second base (11 games), first base (six games), third base (three games) and outfield (one game) only helps open up more paths to a promotion, one that’s looking likely at some point this summer, if not sooner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Double header last yesterday and he went 1 for 5 with a homer and 3 walks. 17r/6hr/18rbi/3sb and a 23:18 k:bb in 25 games with a .351/.495/.636 triple slash

Have to imagine he's headed to Toronto soon.

52 minutes ago, KrunK said:

Double header last yesterday and he went 1 for 5 with a homer and 3 walks. 17r/6hr/18rbi/3sb and a 23:18 k:bb in 25 games with a .351/.495/.636 triple slash

K rate is 🤢

53 minutes ago, KrunK said:

That would be a 23:18 BB:K ratio. 

3 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

K rate is 🤢

The ratio listed is backwards. It’s 23BB to 18K’s. He actually has an 18% K rate - which is down from 26.8% last season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I didnt write the Ks and BBs in the right order my bad lol

• Haha 1

He started in the outfield a couple of days ago.

When do you guys think he will be called up? Summer?

im taking a guess but I think he will be up by mid June  if he keeps hitting well.

8 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

He started in the outfield a couple of days ago.

When do you guys think he will be called up? Summer?

im taking a guess but I think he will be up by mid June  if he keeps hitting well.

So, it looks like they have decided to move Gurriel to the OF/Super Utility, which frees up Biggio to play 2B. Right now, Sogard is unsustainablely hot and hitting lead-off. My guess is that once Sogard starts to be Sogard, you see Biggio. If I am a betting man, I think your mid-June timeline is about right. Maybe first week of June.

• Thanks 1

Teoscar Hernandez demoted.  INF Richard Ureña called up.  Can't see Biggio up until Super 2.

See ya in June Cavan.

• Thanks 1