dashoe

Lamar Jackson 2018 Outlook

Flacco is going to be active eventually as was Alex Smith ( who had JUST taken the 49ers to the NFL championship game a year prior ) when Collin Kaepernick started to play in front of him for the rest of the season.  Yes that is correct, John's brother Jim left his star QB on the bench that just took his team to the NFC championship game after getting a tough win at home versus the Saints in maybe Smith's greatest game of his career.  Following year Harbaugh leaves him benched after watching Kaepernick start 1 game despite Smith returning to good health the following week and having a solid season. 

And we are concerned with Flacco, who has not won a playoff game for the Ravens in lord knows how long and has looked pretty dreadful at times this year?

If John is ANYTHING like his brother Jim, he will understand this situation the same and allow this kid to continue to gain confidence so he can possibly get a win in the playoffs.  You don't yank QBs around unless you absolutely have to, it makes them play differently. I wager that John will only break the Flacco glass if Lamar truely faceplants. 

Edited by Zak0221

11 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Flacco is going to be active eventually as was Alex Smith ( who had JUST taken the 49ers to the NFL championship game a year prior ) when Collin Kaepernick started to play in front of him for the rest of the season.  Yes that is correct, John's brother Jim left his star QB on the bench that just took his team to the NFC championship game after getting a tough win at home versus the Saints in maybe Smith's greatest game of his career.  Following year Harbaugh leaves him benched after watching Kaepernick start 1 game despite Smith returning to good health the following week and having a solid season. 

And we are concerned with Flacco, who has not won a playoff game for the Ravens in lord knows how long and has looked pretty dreadful at times this year?

If John is ANYTHING like his brother Jim, he will understand this situation the same and allow this kid to continue to gain confidence so he can possibly get a win in the playoffs.  You don't yank QBs around unless you absolutely have to, it makes them play differently. I wager that John will only break the Flacco glass if Lamar truely faceplants. 

Agree with the above, personally I don’t see Flacco playing again this season. He’s already on his way out and Baltimore has their future QB in Jackson. 

• Haha 1

More importantly, I get the sense that the team has given up on Flacco and believes in Lamar.

Edited by AJJones

26 minutes ago, AJJones said:

More importantly, I get the sense that the team has given up on Flacco and believes in Lamar.

Can you imagine the fan base if they bench Lamar for Flacco in a competitive game and then lose...

20 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Can you imagine the fan base if they bench Lamar for Flacco in a competitive game and then lose...

it might shrink from from 507 to 496?

• Haha 1

Both QBs stink. Possibly Balt goes to the playoffs but cannot win a game in the playoffs. It’s like watching Nebraska play Football. So boring.

KC is going to spank the Ravens and drown them in their own stupidity. The Harbaughs ate bafoons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

This a very flawed analogy

1. He is not his brother so comparing the Niner to the  Ravens is 2 different scenarios because  kap was not a rookie QB  like lamar when he took over. He spent his entire rookie season + his sophmore regular season as Alex smiths backup learning the offense and how to be an NFL QB.

So your analogy would be more fitting with  say drawing the parrallels between Alex Smith vs Mahommes than Falcco vs lamar.

2. Harbaughs entire tenure on the Ravens as a HC  has been with Flacco as his QB which included a SB win so there is some sense of loyalty to Flacco that Jim never had to Alex Smith.

John just has to figure out if his team is best suited  to  make a playoff run with a healthy lamar or a healthy Flacco

Edited by dashoe
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

This a very flawed analogy

1. He is not his brother so comparing the Niner to the  Ravens is 2 different scenarios because  kap was not a rookie QB  like lamar when he took over. He spent his entire rookie season + his sophmore regular season as Alex smiths backup learning the offense and how to be an NFL QB.

So your analogy would be more fitting with  say drawing the parrallels between Alex Smith vs Mahommes than Falcco vs lamar.

2. Harbaughs entire tenure on the Ravens as a HC  has been with Flacco as his QB which included a SB win so there is some sense of loyalty to Flacco that Jim never had to Alex Smith.

This is a fair counter point but I wouldn't consider the analogy flawed considering the parallels of this situation and it involves two brothers who had an incumbent yet semi productive QB who had previous post season success and then a flashy up and coming running athletic QB in the wings that gives their team a spark and wrinkle that defenses need to account for in the playoffs. It's almost eerie how similar it is playing out. 

John's loyalty to Flacco is the only X factor here that you bring up a good point of but Id argue that Jim was also a big fan of Alex Smith as he basically revived Alex's career and it was because of Jim that Alex landed his next big contract in KC. 

Edited by Zak0221

8 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Both QBs stink. Possibly Balt goes to the playoffs but cannot win a game in the playoffs. It’s like watching Nebraska play Football. So boring.

KC is going to spank the Ravens and drown them in their own stupidity. The Harbaughs ate bafoons.

Does it taste like chicken?

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

This is a fair counter point but I wouldn't consider the analogy flawed considering the parallels of this situation and it involves two brothers who had an incumbent yet semi productive QB who had previous post season success and then a flashy up and coming running athletic QB in the wings that gives their team a spark and wrinkle that defenses need to account for in the playoffs.

John's loyalty to Flacco is the only X factor here that you bring up a good point of but Id argue that Jim was also a big fan of Alex Smith as he basically revived Alex's career and it was because of Jim that Alex landed his next big contract in KC. 

i can see the parrellel you are making but i contend that there is more confidence in a QB who spent  2 regular seasons learning how to run your entire offense every day in practice vs an unpolished  rookie who comes in after  10 games  as you are fighting for a playoff spot and you have to throw out the majority of your playbook to compensate for his lack of experience. 

You have to be realistic in knowing that NFL playoff defenses will scheme to stop  lamar now that there is tape and they see the playbook you have been running for him.  You would bascially go into the playoffs with 2 hans tied behind your back but hoping you can still surprise defenses if lamar can execute a bit more on things they have not seen him do

I really dont see this as a simple choice for Harbaugh

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

i can see the parrellel you are making but i contend that there is more confidence in a QB who spent  2 regular seasons learning how to run your entire offense every day in practice vs an unpolished  rookie who comes in after  10 games  as you are fighting for a playoff spot and you have to throw out the majority of your playbook to compensate for his lack of experience. 

You have to be realistic in knowing that NFL playoff defenses will scheme to stop  lamar now that there is tape and they see the playbook you have been running for him.  You would bascially go into the playoffs with 2 hans tied behind your back but hoping you can still surprise defenses if lamar can execute a bit more on things they have not seen him do

I really dont see this as a simple choice for Harbaugh

And it's harder for a defense to scheme to stop Flacco?  My point is despite Lamar's short comings, he still gives defenses way more to account for than Flacco would and if they can sneak into the post season having that X-factor as your QB could be the difference between a win or a loss.  You are not wrong however but these are just our humble opinions so we will see how it plays out.  I just don't really buy that Flacco provides all that much more than Lamar can't, even at this current stage of development.  Lamar gets better with each game, Flacco is on a slow decline and now recovering from an injury. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

And it's harder for a defense to scheme to stop Flacco?  My point is despite Lamar's short comings, he still gives defenses way more to account for than Flacco would and if they can sneak into the post season having that X-factor as your QB could be the difference between a win or a loss.  You are not wrong however but these are just our humble opinions so we will see how it plays out.  I just don't really buy that Flacco provides all that much more than Lamar can't, even at this current stage of development.  Lamar gets better with each game, Flacco is on a slow decline and now recovering from an injury. 

I'm not saying Flacco is the better option, I simply  think it won't be an easy decision for a HC to make going into the playoffs Do you go with the vet who has been there before,  reads defenses better, with an offense you built around him and no real compromise to your playbook or do you go with the less than spectacular inexperienced rookie who you are able to win with using a limited playbook because defenses don't have a real answer to his athletic playmaking ability?

I think that's a tough choice to make.

3 minutes ago, Chase Money said:

Flacco practiced in full today. Are we still firing up Lamar?

If he is the starter - yes

2 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Nope... going Allen or Dak if Flacco is active

Good luck to you but when Lamar plays well and you want to crawl back to him for Tampa Bay, he will remember...

• Like 1

This playoff stretch of passing defenses is the reason I've held on to Jackson. He should get his this week and next.

6 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

The purpose of comparing baker to lamar (at least in my post) was more for people to gauge than to give a direct comparison.  I also said I would start Allen.  Baker and Allen are believed to be ranked much lower (Lamar ranked 8th, Baker 18th, Allen 20th by Rotoworld) and were brought up to give people an idea of the type of qb tier I'd put ahead this week.  It was not said in a strict "baker vs lamar" way.  I was bringing up his name to show that I would start that type of QB2 in the back end of the top 20 because I trust them more this week.  Mayfield was more of a representation of that group rather than a singular person.  I apologize for that and I probably assumed too much but that's what was meant by it, wasn't trying to turn it into an AC post.

We will never forgive you.

4 hours ago, thebrowns said:

This playoff stretch of passing defenses is the reason I've held on to Jackson. He should get his this week and next.

On bye this week, but Lamar vs TB at home is going to be pretty tempting. 

21 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

Good luck to you but when Lamar plays well and you want to crawl back to him for Tampa Bay, he will remember...

In Playoffs...No margin of error. I see a very possible scenario of the top ranked offense Chiefs at home getting a early lead, and the Ravens turn to the passer (Flacco) to pull them back into the game. 

IMO this game setup risk outweighs the reward...

I hope I am wrong and both Allen, Dak and Jackson exceed projections..

6 minutes ago, thejosef said:

Anybody staring Jackson today?  I'm scared..

Has he even been announced the starter other than media guessing he will start again? If Flacco is inactive again, fire up Lamar. If Lamar is named the starter and Flacco is active - the most likely case - it will cause headaches throughout the world of FF...

13 minutes ago, thejosef said:

Anybody staring Jackson today?  I'm scared..

Me too. I'm waiting to see if Flacco will be active as frog34 said above. If Flacco's active, I'm rolling with Baker Mayfield.