dashoe

Lamar Jackson 2018 Outlook

29 minutes ago, devaster said:

Which is nice to talk about, but what does it actually matter?

That he was asked to go beyond the first read and was capable of doing so

26 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

That he was asked to go beyond the first read and was capable of doing so

And yet he struggled with accuracy against college-level competition. There are both pros and cons from Lamar's experience in that pro-style system.

25 minutes ago, devaster said:

And yet he struggled with accuracy against college-level competition. There are both pros and cons from Lamar's experience in that pro-style system.

Outside of the numbers only. Inside he was fine

per nfl.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000932517/article/eli-manning-set-up-for-renaissance-lamar-jackson-creating-buzz

"LAMAR JACKSON'S FIRST IMPRESSION: Rookie creating buzz in B'more

When the Baltimore Ravens sent out smoke signals indicating their interest in Lamar Jackson prior to the 2018 NFL Draft, I thought the potential marriage between the 2016 Heisman Trophy winner and the team was a match made in heaven. The Ravens not only had a front office in place that would recognize and appreciate his spectacular talents as a dual-threat playmaker, but they had a crew of coaches capable of putting together a plan that would elevate his game as a pro.

Now that Jackson is indeed a Raven, it appears that initial intuition was correct. And Joe Flacco better be on his game this fall.

Based on reports floating out of Baltimore during last weekend's rookie minicamp, the Ravens are already "in the laboratory" cooking up schemes that will help their quarterback of the future make an impact whenever he steps onto the field.

"We're going to always try to get our players making plays for us," head coach John Harbaugh said to the assembled press. "And Lamar is a guy who can help us win games."

While there's no disputing Jackson's talents as a mobile playmaker -- he amassed 3,500-plus passing yards and 1,500-plus rushing yards in each of his final two seasons at Louisville -- there were plenty of questions about his ability to make accurate throws and play the game from the pocket after he failed to complete 60 percent of his passes in any of his three collegiate campaigns. Skeptics questioned his pocket-passing skills and some even suggested that he would need to make a position switch to have a legitimate shot of carving out a career as a pro.

"The thing I was really impressed with is I thought he was accurate," Harbaugh said last week. "You read the reports ... but he's a naturally talented thrower. He has natural arm talent. That's something that I think people were questioning. To see him out here throwing the ball naturally and very accurately, I thought it was a big plus."

Looking at Harbaugh's assessment of Jackson's passing prowess, I believe it matches up with his performance on tape. At Louisville, No. 8 was a pinpoint passer on short and intermediate throws between the numbers, particularly on in-breaking routes (skinny posts, seams and digs). He flashed outstanding touch, timing and anticipation on those throws, while also displaying A-plus arm strength firing the ball into tight windows. Jackson also showed outstanding range and touch on vertical throws. He was one of the best deep-ball throwers in the 2018 class. His ability to throw the ball over the top of the defense makes him a challenge to defend in the backfield.

From a critical standpoint, Jackson struggled as an outside-the-numbers thrower at Louisville. He frequently missed receivers on out-breaking routes along the boundary and his inconsistencies on those throws routinely showed up on tape.

Speaking to Ravens officials following rookie minicamp, Jackson's strengths and weaknesses as a passer showed up throughout the weekend, as he dazzled as a deep-ball thrower down the seams but had some struggles connecting with receivers on out-breaking routes. Despite those hiccups, he earned positive reviews for his overall performance as a passer, which is good news for a team looking to fully capitalize on his explosiveness as a mobile playmaker.

As a student and leader, Jackson also earned strong reviews for his work over the weekend. He received glowing marks from his head coach and made a strong impression on the staff.

"As good as any rookie we've had that way," Harbaugh said, via the team website. "He's very smart; he studies, very sharp, has a nice presence on the field. I think we all feel that he handled himself very well that way.

"All of that is A, A-plus. He has great demeanor. He has a great face, attitude is really good, smart, studies real hard, locker room stuff. I think it's all good."

With Jackson starting to check off the boxes as a potential QB1 during rookie minicamp, I think it is important to remember offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and assistant head coach Greg Roman have extensive experience nurturing athletic quarterbacks, having collectively worked with the likes of Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia, Steve Young, Colin Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor over the years. The lessons learned from those experiences will not only help the Ravens build a playbook that suits Jackson's skills, but they will allow the coaches to concoct a developmental plan that helps the young QB grow as a passer/playmaker from the pocket.

Given Jackson's own experience working with a pro-style play caller at Louisville (Bobby Petrino), the NFL world could see the Ravens' version of Frankenstein by the end of the 2018 season."

Fire up that 2018 #1 Dynasty Rookie QB B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

From a critical standpoint, Jackson struggled as an outside-the-numbers thrower at Louisville. He frequently missed receivers on out-breaking routes along the boundary and his inconsistencies on those throws routinely showed up on tape.

Speaking to Ravens officials following rookie minicamp, Jackson's strengths and weaknesses as a passer showed up throughout the weekend, as he dazzled as a deep-ball thrower down the seams but had some struggles connecting with receivers on out-breaking routes.

I would agree this is the same negative I've seen in his game, and several other posters have pointed it out as well.

*in limited viewing, I saw him make the same mistake this week in rookie mini-camps...threw too far ahead of, and high, to a receiver on an out pattern. Same thing at the combine if memory serves me correct.

He struggles with anticipation and timing. Some of that can be coached and improved with familiarity, but anticipation is something that QB's either have or they don't. Some manage without it though like McNabb (consistently threw in the dirt or behind his receivers). From a purely fantasy standpoint I like Lamar Jackson. Mobile QB's are fantasy gold. I don't see him as a future franchise QB though that can carry a team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, devaster said:

He struggles with anticipation and timing. Some of that can be coached and improved with familiarity, but anticipation is something that QB's either have or they don't. Some manage without it though like McNabb (consistently threw in the dirt or behind his receivers). From a purely fantasy standpoint I like Lamar Jackson. Mobile QB's are fantasy gold. I don't see him as a future franchise QB though that can carry a team.

McNabb had garbage receivers his whole career except for 2004 when TO was motivated.

And won a lot of games for a decade despite this.

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

McNabb had garbage receivers his whole career except for 2004 when TO was motivated.

And won a lot of games for a decade despite this.

<--- Eagles fan. It doesn't change the fact that McNabb consistently threw behind his receivers giving them no chance to create yards after the catch.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

<--- Eagles fan. It doesn't change the fact that McNabb consistently threw behind his receivers giving them no chance to create yards after the catch.

Not true. He wasn't Montana, but his WRs had plenty of opportunities to make plays for him and didn't. Pinkston is a prime example. 

And as almost everyone here knows, I'm a Giants fan.

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Not true. He wasn't Montana, but his WRs had plenty of opportunities to make plays for him and didn't. Pinkston is a prime example. 

And as almost everyone here knows, I'm a Giants fan.

Having probably watched almost every game McNabb played it was true. Yes his WRs did him no favors, but I can’t tell you how many times Under no pressure he skipped balls or threw behind guys who would often make the catch but because of where the ball was thrown would not be in a position to advance it. That being said, he went to 4 NFC championship games and a SB and was a top fantasy performer for a decade. Jackson may never be a surgeon throwing the ball, but to overlook his fantasy potential is simply naive, on this Joshua and I can agree.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:30 PM, AJJones said:

He ran an NFL scheme in college.

He ran for 4000 yards in college. That's not an NFL offense. He flourished because he was a ridiculous athlete and teams had to respect it. QBs like that a lot of times struggle when they get to the NFL and can't use that as much to create chunk plays. Do you think he's going to find it as easy to find huge windows to throw to when the safeties don't have to cheat up anymore, because the linebackers are fast enough to keep up with him. I have nothing against him and would love to see him unseat Flacco and do well, just my opinion. 

That was the gist of my original post. I didn't think it was that hard to follow

On 5/12/2018 at 10:26 PM, owenmills said:

He ran for 4000 yards in college. That's not an NFL offense. He flourished because he was a ridiculous athlete and teams had to respect it. QBs like that a lot of times struggle when they get to the NFL and can't use that as much to create chunk plays. Do you think he's going to find it as easy to find huge windows to throw to when the safeties don't have to cheat up anymore, because the linebackers are fast enough to keep up with him. I have nothing against him and would love to see him unseat Flacco and do well, just my opinion. 

That was the gist of my original post. I didn't think it was that hard to follow

We are specifically talking about the complexity of the passing concepts not his production. You are talking about the difference in talent between the NFL and College, which no one is debating. We are talking about the difference between Cam Newton's college offense and Bobby Petrino's. It is night and day.

So again, as I and many other's have said, Lamar Jackson struggles with consistent accuracy and throwing outside the numbers to the sideline. In every other area he is quite good and despite the fact most of his highlights are 60 yard runs, that is not a knock. He is a more advanced passer than he is given credit for just because he is an AMAZING runner.

Edited by AJJones
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AJJones said:

We are specifically talking about the complexity of the passing concepts not his production. You are talking about the difference in talent between the NFL and College, which no one is debating. We are talking about the difference between Cam Newton's college offense and Bobby Petrino's. It is night and day.

So again, as I and many other's have said, Lamar Jackson struggles with consistent accuracy and throwing outside the numbers to the sideline. In every other area he is quite good and despite the fact most of his highlights are 60 yard runs, that is not a knock. He is a more advanced passer than he is given credit for just because he is an AMAZING runner.

Who is 'we', you and some other people? I don't know why you originally quoted me if you're claiming you're not talking about the same thing I am. If we is you and me then no we are not talking about passing concepts. What I'm saying is I think he's a phenomenal athlete who terrified defenses with his legs which in turn opened up the passing game considerably more than it otherwise would've been. I don't think he's a bad QB but guess what, the accuracy is going to be a major issue when the windows are tighter because teams aren't as worried about him taking off running. Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit for his passing. I guess we'll find out soon enough, I'm hoping he takes over for Flacco sooner than later. I hope he does well, if he does I'll come back and admit I underestimated the kid. 

Since this is a fantasy site though I will say I'm ALL IN on him for fantasy. I play in a 2QB league so I'll probably try to grab him at some point, for his sheer upside alone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Who is 'we', you and some other people? I don't know why you originally quoted me if you're claiming you're not talking about the same thing I am. If we is you and me then no we are not talking about passing concepts. What I'm saying is I think he's a phenomenal athlete who terrified defenses with his legs which in turn opened up the passing game considerably more than it otherwise would've been. I don't think he's a bad QB but guess what, the accuracy is going to be a major issue when the windows are tighter because teams aren't as worried about him taking off running. Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit for his passing. I guess we'll find out soon enough, I'm hoping he takes over for Flacco sooner than later. I hope he does well, if he does I'll come back and admit I underestimated the kid. 

Since this is a fantasy site though I will say I'm ALL IN on him for fantasy. I play in a 2QB league so I'll probably try to grab him at some point, for his sheer upside alone. 

You said he was in a college offense. I think you meant to say he was playing against college defenses. They are very different statements. I understand your point better now though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AJJones said:

You said he was in a college offense. I think you meant to say he was playing against college defenses. They are very different statements. I understand your point better now though.

His point does stand. While Jackson may have been in a more pro-ready scheme with more progressions, working under center, etc. he still faced college competition and put up 4000 yards rushing. Those rushing stats aren't possible at the pro-level. Those rushing stats widened the passing windows and had more receivers running wide open. 

It will be interesting to see how his passing translates to the NFL. All that matters in fantasy is the rushing.

• Like 1

He's looked pretty good his last two games both a passer and on the ground.

Part of the reason I didn't invest in a QB early this year is I know Jackson is going to take over for Flacco sometime this year and when he does he'll be an automatic top 5 QB and weekly play.

• Haha 2

Thoughts on this guy for this year? Is he worth using a roster spot in larger 2qb / superflex leagues? Does anyone think he’ll actually play this year?

55 minutes ago, Canuck14 said:

Thoughts on this guy for this year? Is he worth using a roster spot in larger 2qb / superflex leagues? Does anyone think he’ll actually play this year?

Worth stashing for sure. If he starts at any time he could be a league winner especially in 2QB leagues.

The only way he takes over for Flacco is an injury.   Dude completed 50% of his passes playing 3rd and 4th stringers.    No chance he just takes the job.   The hype around lamar is so funny.  Would be shocking if hes in the league in 3 years.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, eyesee said:

The only way he takes over for Flacco is an injury.   Dude completed 50% of his passes playing 3rd and 4th stringers.    No chance he just takes the job.   The hype around lamar is so funny.  Would be shocking if hes in the league in 3 years.  

this

... are people actually watching the games? or just buying the college beast hype?

p.r.o.j.e.c.t.

period. 

/fin

14 hours ago, AJ92 said:

He's looked pretty good his last two games both a passer and on the ground.

Part of the reason I didn't invest in a QB early this year is I know Jackson is going to take over for Flacco sometime this year and when he does he'll be an automatic top 5 QB and weekly play.

Top 5? Cmon man. That guy is insanely talented. It's gonna be a year or two until we see prim time lamar jackson. If he goes off and stays healthy next year he could be better than Vick.

My prediction based on nothing is if you grab this guy now, you'll be one week (maybe 2 weeks) ahead of the waiver mob whos gonna salivate all over him

Added

Edited by pushaZ