Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, jmausen said:

1 minute ago, jmausen said:

Mixon is looking like an overrated plodder.  He might leave the door open for Mark Walton. If the rookie can make some big plays.....

Jordan Wilkins might be the most competent RB in IND.  

Outside of Barkley, all the rookies are competing for touches.  The two listed above are cheapest. 

You think they'd give up on Mixon easily where Mark Walton could get enough touches here?  Even with their offensive issues they cleared up over the offseason?  Stranger things have happened.

The only thing holding Wilkins back is that Indy is a timeshare but might be the best all around back. 

11 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Based on what?

You're feelings?

Freeman doesn't have the starting job.  You're guessing. 

No...im making an informed projection.   Booker is a cuff only by week 6.   The writing is all over the wall, Mause.  They’re using PS as a trial to see if Royce can handle the pass blocking role and truly elevate to workhorse.  So far signs all point to yes.   This is what Denver wants.    

Trying to pin season long usage to how they’re using them in PS is a fools errand. 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chardo said:

Heavy past workload means potential injury?  I think the opposite is true.  If a player has handled a heavy workload without significant injuries, that shows durability.  Eventually the heavy workload will slow you down, but that shouldn't be an issue for a 22 year old rookie.  If he's healthy on draft day, I wouldn't factor injury potential at all.

Came close to 1,000 total carries in college. Dealt with injuries in his last two seasons. If that isn't a recipe for potential future injuries, then what is? 

6 minutes ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

Came close to 1,000 total carries in college. Dealt with injuries in his last two seasons. If that isn't a recipe for potential future injuries, then what is? 

My point was in general.  What injuries did he have?  I haven't dug into him yet.  

34 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Through two pre-season games with Keenum running the offense:

Booker plays the first drive.

Freeman starts the second drive.

Booker is playing 3rd downs.

Neither player has done anything special vs. 1st team defenses.

Freeman is a reach.  

Booker is a value pick.

Don’t bother drafting Booker you’ll just be dropping him in the first month after Lindsay takes his job

39 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Don’t bother drafting Booker you’ll just be dropping him in the first month after Lindsay takes his job

This. Booker is terrible. He was handed the starting RB job on a silver platter in 2016 after CJA's injury and did nothing with it. Only 79 carries last year. Royce has every opportunity to seize this job and run with it (no pun intended B)). 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I plan on avoiding the Broncos backfield altogether this year because I'm not nearly as high on Freeman as other people are and it's likely going to be too much of a rbbc headache barring injury.

• Like 1

3/4 round ADP is way too rich for my blood. 

Curious as to when yall are targeting him and who are you picking him over? 

2 minutes ago, yahyahtrick said:

Tier 4: Miller, Ajayi, Collins, Royce

Mid third to mid fourth 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Tier 4: Miller, Ajayi, Collins, Royce

Mid third to mid fourth 

I have a hard time taking him over Ajayi and maybe Collins to be honest. I'll take him in the late 4th but 3rd is way too rich IMO

The kid does look impressive.  But no chance I'm taking him tell late 4th.  Still so many question marks about his workload and I don't trust Denver's Oline.

32 minutes ago, TPowell said:

I have a hard time taking him over Ajayi and maybe Collins to be honest. I'll take him in the late 4th but 3rd is way too rich IMO

28 minutes ago, youngrice said:

The kid does look impressive.  But no chance I'm taking him tell late 4th.  Still so many question marks about his workload and I don't trust Denver's Oline.

Agree with you both.   He has rb1 upside but you’re counting on him winning the job sooner than later.   The line is a legit question, but I think they’ll at least be mediocre.  CJA was top 10 in rushing yards and he wasn’t the primary back all season... so they do have some demonstrated success there.   And Bill Musgrave LOVES to run the ball.

Its one of those picks that could really pay off or just be flex worthy.   TBD. 

Edited by Impreza178

This dude has gone from a 5th round pick to a 3rd rounder.  I'm not loving the value so much anymore.  I'll still take him in certain situations but he's not an auto pick at his adp anymore.

• Like 1

Look, I really am trying to keep things positive around here. But I am starting to see some annoying trends in many posts. The "Messy Backfield" label. Just because the guy YOU hitched YOUR wagon to ISN'T performing and is likely to be warming the bench DOESN'T mean the backfield is messy and should be avoided. This word is being thrown around irresponsibly throughout many threads. The Tampa Bay backfield is NOT messy. The Denver Broncos backfield is NOT messy. You just have two players who are UNDERPERFORMING. Ronald Jones and Booker are not living up to expectations. The backfield is FINE without them in a prominent role. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jmausen said:

Mixon is looking like an overrated plodder.  He might leave the door open for Mark Walton. If the rookie can make some big plays.....

Jordan Wilkins might be the most competent RB in IND.  

Outside of Barkley, all the rookies are competing for touches.  The two listed above are cheapest. 

Mixon losing his job to Walton is one of the worst takes Ive seen on these forums...

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Evincar said:

Mixon losing his job to Walton is one of the worst takes Ive seen on these forums...

And that's saying something.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Evincar said:

i'm rootin' for the Walton kid, big time ... think he has a puncher's chance here ... oh, and EFF Mixon. 

2 hours ago, yahyahtrick said:

I'm in a 16-team existing keeper league and drafted him as my RB2 (I already have Melvin Gordon), ahead of Mixon, L.Miller, K.Johnson and Ajayi. I did strongly consider Mixon instead, but ultimately decided on Freeman. 

Including keepers, I got him as the 18th RB off the board.

Edited by Corleone
  • Thanks 1

I recall last year people expected Mixon to take over as well yet he never did. Hill wasn’t regarded as all that good himself. What’s the difference in Freeman’s case?

It is pretty obvious by now that all that "Booker is the starter" crap was just a motivational tactic.  Freeman is going to be the man in Denver.  I will try to get him at a reasonable price, but I won't be picking up Booker as his handcuff.  Booker is not a good player and he will not be allowed onto my fantasy team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I recall last year people expected Mixon to take over as well yet he never did. Hill wasn’t regarded as all that good himself. What’s the difference in Freeman’s case?

Coaching. Pretty big difference when it comes to dictating personnel. I’d also argue Gio had a respected and guaranteed role. There is no such player in Denver. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Booker sucks

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Every situation is different. Hill was already there + Gio. The Booker is the only thing in Freeman’s way. It seems like all the insiders or people close to the team are extremely high on Freeman. Brad Evans named him his fantasy MVP for this upcoming season, I believe he lives in Denver. 

He has a 3 down skill set, a great opportunity, and Booker isn’t good, IMO. Freeman is good though. The o-line is improved and they actually ranked 9th in run blocking last year. I can see the upside. Obviously it’s not a slam dunk, but if it was he’d be going in the 2nd, but the 3rd - 4th. 

• Like 1