Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

5 hours ago, Chardo said:

My point was in general.  What injuries did he have?  I haven't dug into him yet.  

Knee and shoulder injuries as far as I'm aware. Nothing severe, but knee injuries can be exasperated. His body might have more wear on it than some of the sophomore RB. I mean I'm not avoiding him because of that, I'm definitely trying to get him this season. But I feel like injuries will at some point crop up with him, maybe not this year but soon. 

On 8/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, thecomebackkid907 said:

Knee and shoulder injuries as far as I'm aware. Nothing severe, but knee injuries can be exasperated. His body might have more wear on it than some of the sophomore RB. I mean I'm not avoiding him because of that, I'm definitely trying to get him this season. But I feel like injuries will at some point crop up with him, maybe not this year but soon. 

If you remember, when Ray Rice got to the pros, many said the same thing.  Schiano had run Rice ragged at Rutgers.  I think Rice may have been a four-year college starter or something crazy.  But it just turned out that Rice was really durable and really good.  Rice had several great seasons for Baltimore before his play on the field slipped, then his off-field behavior made him too toxic for all 32 NFL teams.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 12:55 PM, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Look, I really am trying to keep things positive around here. But I am starting to see some annoying trends in many posts. The "Messy Backfield" label. Just because the guy YOU hitched YOUR wagon to ISN'T performing and is likely to be warming the bench DOESN'T mean the backfield is messy and should be avoided. This word is being thrown around irresponsibly throughout many threads. The Tampa Bay backfield is NOT messy. The Denver Broncos backfield is NOT messy. You just have two players who are UNDERPERFORMING. Ronald Jones and Booker are not living up to expectations. The backfield is FINE without them in a prominent role. 

......aka messy

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you remember, when Ray Rice got to the pros, many said the same thing.  Schiano had run Rice ragged at Rutgers.  I think Rice may have been a four-year college starter or something crazy.  But it just turned out that Rice was really durable and really good.  Rice had several great seasons for Baltimore before his play on the field slipped, then his off-field behavior made him too toxic for all 32 NFL teams.

That's a good comparison. Don't get me wrong, I want the guy to stay healthy, because I want him on all of my fantasy teams lol. I only bring up risk of injury because I don't think we'll be talking about playing time once we're halfway through the season. I think he's the best RB in Denver and is suited for +20 carries a game, because he's been doing it for 4 years now. He's gonna earn the job. 

1 hour ago, Mr.E said:

RIP ADP

Yeah, no way he's getting to my 1.04 pick.

Officially moving him ahead of Mark Ingram for my 5th round draft pick. Can't go any higher than that though.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

he won't be on your team then

in a 10 team league, its a solid chance I get him in round 5. If not, I'll take Ingram. No harm, no foul.

The Davantae Booker love in the fantasy community is strong.  Plus rotoworld keeps pimping Booker and throwing shade on Royce Freeman.  I think we have a chance to still get this guy pretty cheap.  I will be taking it, most likely.

rather have the back who's gonna catch more passes (booker) and will still get plenty of carries in the 11th 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

He's already going in the 3rd round

I will pass on that. I can get Doug Baldwin in the 3rd, a proven stud WR who will be much more valuable in full point PPR. Freeman looks good though, I'll give him that.

4 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

He's already going in the 3rd round

With the talent there It would be foolish to take him in the 3rd.

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

With the talent there It would be foolish to take him in the 3rd.

latest mocks at the 2/3 turn are exhibiting choices along the lines of Howard/Baldwin/Hilton/Kelce/Tyreek/Shady - lotta meat on that third rd bone ... but this kid fits towards the back end, though i would prefer to snag Miller first.

5 hours ago, dewaser said:

rather have the back who's gonna catch more passes (booker) and will still get plenty of carries in the 11th 

You misspelled “Phillip Lindsay” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dewaser said:

A couple more fumbles, a couple more lackluster outings, and Booker will tumble down the depth chart to where he belongs:

"The game is over and we don't want our good players to get hurt.  Send in Booker."

11 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

Is it noteworthy that The Broncos are going to play Freeman in the last pre-season game?

Only insofar as the coach is an idiot. Kelly probably shouldn’t be playing a whole half either but it’s whatever

probably just a good opportunity to brush up on some pass protection and other details

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 1

How many touches would you anticipate Royce gets out of the gate (week 1)? What would you anticipate the split is between him and Booker? 

Can this kid catch passes, or is he more of a runner/2 down back?   I've seen some runs and he looks impressive, but I haven't seen if he has the ability to both play passing downs as a receiving threat, and also play them as a competent blocker for protection.  Can he do it all?