Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

not sure what the coaching staff is thinking with this move, he is clearly the RB for the future, and he has been productive now.  the incumbent haven't performed up to standards.  makes me question whether they are competent enough to put together the right game plan even if Freeman was the starter.  this is just poor decision making

The karma for a stupid coaching decision like this would be Royce suffering a season ending injury in the 4th preseason game. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

13 minutes ago, devaster said:

The karma for a stupid coaching decision like this would be Royce suffering a season ending injury in the 4th preseason game. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Hey! Take that bad JuJu into the Schuster thread. 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

This happens, we riot.

Just now, Proteus said:

This happens, we riot.

I agree. Full on riot against the Broncos' organization. Heads will roll.

Don't underestimate the total stupidity of the Broncos coaching staff. Not unreasonable to avoid the offense all together until there's a change.

• Like 1

Joseph supported his comments with an example, saying that Freeman would likely line up behind quarterback Case Keenum if a power run play is called, whereas Booker might rank as the preferred option if the Broncos opt for a quick pass. 

Nothing like telegraphing your play call to the defense...So dumb. 

#FreeFreeman

• Haha 1

I drafted Freeman with the belief:

1. Freeman is the bell cow the same way Howard is the bell cow 

2.  Booker is not a threat to 1 & 2 down carries, but will serve as change of pace

3.  Freeman will get the goal line carries 

4.  The O-line will be significantly better (average)

5.  The offense will be significantly better (middling)

The problem with my thesis is the coaching staff is bottom 5.  There is a 50/50 chance Booker gets waaay more carries than if the coaching staff was competent.

/Broncos fan

10 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

This is Mixon all over again

Perhaps...

Mixon has more raw talent and is a superior pass catcher.  Freeman is more of a bruiser like Blount.  I think Freeman has more TD potential and is running behind a significantly better O-line.  The offense might be a wash...  I think the Bengles have a better coaching staff, but that’s not saying much.

In PPR Mixon should have the edge, but I’m hoping Freeman gets more TDs to make in close (for fantasy).  I think Freeman is the better “value” but we’ll see.  I don’t think either player is a slam dunk.

Edited by seanismorris

26 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

This is Mixon all over again

except Gio is 10x the player that Booker is

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

That’s only a valid claim if the coaching staff agrees. If the staff has their heads up their a** it doesn’t hold much water.

We see a guy like P. Barber getting the week off because the coach has decided that he’s seen enough. Clearly the starter thus he should prepare for the regular season. 

These coaches are fools. I feel bad for Broncos fans. 

I am assuming many of you fellas haven’t spent much time in dove valley the past few weeks. Just to fill you in Royce is the best running back on the team. But by far the worst pass blocker as well. Many many days he misses virtually all assignments. Gets chewed out quite a bit for it as the season is over if Keen gets hurt because Royce gets him blown up. Booker is mediocre at all aspects of the game. Unfortunantly that makes him the best pass blocker. We don’t give a hoot who can pass block as fantasy owners we want the best runners and playmakers. In real life though Royce isn’t the whole package Atleast as of now. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the way it is right now. You guys haven’t even noticed that Freeman is never in during passing plays? Watch the film and see if he can pass block. Good luck because the Broncos haven’t put any film out there of him pass blocking. I go to 3 practices a week and can tell you why they won’t feature Rolls Royce to begin the season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Gravy said:

I am assuming many of you fellas haven’t spent much time in dove valley the past few weeks. Just to fill you in Royce is the best running back on the team. But by far the worst pass blocker as well. Many many days he misses virtually all assignments. Gets chewed out quite a bit for it as the season is over if Keen gets hurt because Royce gets him blown up. Booker is mediocre at all aspects of the game. Unfortunantly that makes him the best pass blocker. We don’t give a hoot who can pass block as fantasy owners we want the best runners and playmakers. In real life though Royce isn’t the whole package Atleast as of now. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the way it is right now. You guys haven’t even noticed that Freeman is never in during passing plays? Watch the film and see if he can pass block. Good luck because the Broncos haven’t put any film out there of him pass blocking. I go to 3 practices a week and can tell you why they won’t feature Rolls Royce to begin the season.

Not really that much of a different scenario than Kareem Hunt losing snaps to Charcandrick West who was a great at pass blocking.

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

I always noticed how easily Booker went down but never really realized how bad he was until a few weeks ago I heard TD mention something like Booker has had only one run of over 25 yards in his past 285 carries. The only reason Boomer makes this team is pass blocking. As a runner I would even take Henderson over Booker. But since losing C.J. One of the best pass blocking backs he is all we have to pass block. I wish Lindsay was a bit bigger but what can you do. If Royce can learn to protect his QB we will have something there for sure. But until then he is going to piss fantasy owners off.

Definitely food for thought.  Pass blocking is obviously a must in today's NFL...

• Like 2

I don’t play in a point per block league so I don’t really care. Fact of the matter is that with regard to fantasy output, Booker will be completely neglible and not a legitimate threat Freeman’s value directly at all. Yes, other running backs will take snaps. That happens all over the league. But Freeman is far and away the biggest threat on the ground and when they are prioritizing that part of the offensive game plan that will go through him. I don’t foresee Booker getting goal line snaps for instance. Fantasy owners always like to complain on losing any snaps at all, but outside of a small handful of backs that type of player just doesn’t exist at all. Especially a rookie who can’t pass block all that well and *SHOCK* may have to work on this deficiency in the final preseason game.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I don’t play in a point per block league so I don’t really care. Fact of the matter is that with regard to fantasy output, Booker will be completely neglible and not a legitimate threat Freeman’s value directly at all. Yes, other running backs will take snaps. That happens all over the league. But Freeman is far and away the biggest threat on the ground and when they are prioritizing that part of the offensive game plan that will go through him. I don’t foresee Booker getting goal line snaps for instance. Fantasy owners always like to complain on losing any snaps at all, but outside of a small handful of backs that type of player just doesn’t exist at all. Especially a rookie who can’t pass block all that well and *SHOCK* may have to work on this deficiency in the final preseason game.

I want to believe!

1 hour ago, Gravy said:

Very good info.

We fantasy player get caught up in this illusion that fantasy numbers are equivalent to how good a player is. There is so much more to a good player than just yards and TDs. Blocking is just one aspect of that.

3 hours ago, lolcopter said:

I don’t play in a point per block league so I don’t really care.

Unfortunately, you do.

[very long post which I removed upon reading the next link]

Actually, you only care probably in extreme cases.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-pass-blocking-running-backs

In conclusion, the data suggest that poor pass-blocking numbers do matter, but only at the polar negative extreme, and not very much at all for rookies. In the cases of Hunt and McCaffrey, I’m optimistic. Both were much more effective at pass-blocking in their final years of college, each recording positive pass-blocking grades and ranking about average in PBE (94.5 for McCaffrey and 95.8 for Hunt on over 50 pass-blocking snaps for each).

That's quite contrary to common knowledge, but then again, that wouldn't be the first time.

4 hours ago, Gravy said:

Thanks for the insight.

Definitely something that's worrisome as game script would favor Booker if Denver has to play from behind.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Thanks for the insight.

Definitely something that's worrisome as game script would favor Booker if Denver has to play from behind.

Or would benefit Freeman if they have the lead.  

The Broncos D looks pretty good and that unit alone should keep games close and allow them to run the ball. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seanismorris said:

I think the Bengles have a better coaching staff, but that’s not saying much.

This might be the most damning sentence in the entire thread.

Figured I might try to add something new to the conversation, so I took a look at Bill Musgrave's history to see how his offenses have done under his watch.  One thing I noticed, was that he typically utilized 1 RB as his main horse.  

Jacksonville 2003-2004: Fred Taylor

Minnesota 2011-2013: Adrian Peterson

Oakland 2015-2016: Latavius Murray

Denver 2017: CJ Anderson

Fred Taylor and AP are All Star RBs, so no surprise he leaned on them, however he also utilized Murray and Anderson as workhorse RBs on their respective teams.  Under Musgrave's watch, all of these guys had 1,000 yard seasons every single year, except AP's season he got injured, and Murray's season he got injured.  

Booker is not going to fill that role as the workhorse back in the backfield.  He just isn't capable.  Freeman showed at Oregon he could handle a large workload, and be dynamic when given the chance.  I think the "starter" issue is being overblown, and I think once the real games start, Musgrave is going to ride Freeman as his workhorse for this offense.  I imagine Week 1 and maybe Week 2 we see a bit of a timeshare.  However, I think the difference between the 2 RBs will be significant, and Freeman will command this backfield sooner than later.  

• Like 3