Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

I, for one, welcome our newly minted starting overlord Booker ... anything that drives Freeman's adp down into an even more valuable draft slot is most appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

I, for one, welcome our newly minted starting overlord Booker ... anything that drives Freeman's adp down into an even more valuable draft slot is most appreciated. 

Round 3 was getting a little too rich

• Thanks 1

Brutal pre season for rookies... Freeman has outplayed booker the whole way...

8 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Brutal pre season for rookies... Freeman has outplayed booker the whole way...

Not on the VJ scale of excellence

or should we say...scale of...incompetence?

as frustrating as it is...it’s only a matter of time 

Edited by Impreza178

Where do ya'll feel comfortable drafting him now?

Also, what are expectations in terms of when he might overtake Booker as the #1?

1 minute ago, InVINCEable said:

Also, what are expectations in terms of when he might overtake Booker as the #1?

4-5th round seems like the sweet spot. Any higher and it’s getting a little risky, and lower and you gotta jump at the opportunity. I was comfortable gambling on Hunt in the 3rd last season, Freeman isn’t quite there for me yet because I’m not convinced he’s as big of a threat catching out of the backfield and his pass protection needs a lot of work. He already has and will continue to be the #1 productive back from an actual production standpoint, don’t even worry about some arbitrary pecking order or coach speak.

4 minutes ago, InVINCEable said:

I moved him down from #16 to #20 in my own RB rankings.  He was going late third, in a couple drafts yesterday I saw him going mid 5th round which is where I would be comfortable taking him.  

Same with lolcopter I was comfortable taking Hunt mid 3rd last year, Freeman seems like he could be this year's Hunt except with the Booker factor. 

On 8/23/2018 at 2:33 PM, Corleone said:

I'm in a 16-team existing keeper league and drafted him as my RB2 (I already have Melvin Gordon), ahead of Mixon, L.Miller, K.Johnson and Ajayi. I did strongly consider Mixon instead, but ultimately decided on Freeman. 

Including keepers, I got him as the 18th RB off the board.

Well, I like Freeman based on my prior post...but I just traded him away. Am sending Freeman/R.Penny/Kupp away, in return for getting M.Evans/Hilton/D.Lewis. 

While I'm high on Royce, if one has the opportunity to get good value for him, it's worth taking the opportunity. Falling too much in love with rookies can get dangerous (of course Freeman could also run for 1200+ yards and make me regret this).

Edited by Corleone

I'm not going to read back through this entire thread, but why would people think that this year's situation is going to be any different than last year? This same coaching staff REFUSED to make Anderson the workhorse and trotted Jamaal Charles and Devontae Booker out there even though Anderson was the superior player. I expect nothing less from the coaching staff this year.

Edited by wonderbread

5 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Well, I like Freeman based on my prior post...but I just traded him away. Am sending Freeman/R.Penny/Kupp away, in return for getting M.Evans/Hilton/D.Lewis. 

While I'm high on Royce, if one has the opportunity to get good value for him, it's worth taking the opportunity. Falling too much in love with rookies can get dangerous (of course Freeman could also run for 1200+ yards and make me regret this).

In dynasty that is an equal trade to me because of long term upside, but for redraft, you got 3 better players than you gave in my opinion. 

Edited by nine9s
  • Like 1

Not sure what to make of this.

I’m not a Freeman owner, but Booker is available on the WW and I have a feeling Cobb will be cut. I also own Bell and if he sits Booker could be a nice add for a few weeks.

Tempting, given Cobb’s status.

2 minutes ago, nine9s said:

In dynasty that is an equal trade to me because of long term upside, but for redraft, you got 3 better players than you gave in my opinion. 

I agree. I feel it is a win-win for me and my league mate.  He wasn't very happy with his team as a whole, and was looking to upgrade for 2019 and beyond, so that's how the deal came together. 

14 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

I'm not going to read back through this entire thread, but why would people think that this year's situation is going to be any different than last year? This same coaching staff REFUSED to make Anderson the workhorse and trotted Jamaal Charles and Devontae Booker out there even though Anderson was the superior player. I expect nothing less from the coaching staff this year.

Cj got 245 carries and broke 1000 yards rushing last year, only scored 3 TDs tho.

Royce has already scored 3 TDs in the preseason and also has scored 60 TDs in his 4 year college career, avg of 15 per year.

Edited by pushaZ
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

Because they won't have Siemian, Osweiler, and Lynch running the plays.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wonderbread said:

this is likely what will happen again but Freeman will be the leader in production by a wide margin

2 hours ago, wonderbread said:

In that case Royce Freeman is a 1000 yard back.     That’s what CJA was.    Now you add in better weapons downfield and a better qb- plus Royce is actually faster than CJ...  he should be a nice rb2 option at worst.    The gulf between him and Booker is astounding-  it jumps off the screen when you watch the two.    Midseason sometime he’ll be a top 10 option weekly imo.  

10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

In that case Royce Freeman is a 1000 yard back.     That’s what CJA was.    Now you add in better weapons downfield and a better qb- plus Royce is actually faster than CJ...  he should be a nice rb2 option at worst.    The gulf between him and Booker is astounding-  it jumps off the screen when you watch the two.    Midseason sometime he’ll be a top 10 option weekly imo.  

this. 

kids like Freeman and Clement and Breida are looong plays, gentlemen - though the price of poker for the latter two is peanuts, atm.

but this here situation has the least talent in front of it, though, and Rolls has looked particularly  beastly ... ergo the more premium capital in drafts. 

ITT: people realizing their golden fourth round pick isn’t even gonna start or get the lions share of the carries unless something happens to the starter or he completely balls out. 

look, if you have the choice between picking up someone in the 13th round who is gonna start, and is a pretty good receiver at the RB position on a team that’ll probably  check down a lot, or a rookie RB who cant win the starting role in the 4th round? 

sometimes you gotta roll with the coaching staff. if the coaching staff sees something in booker to make him the starter, i’ll take him in the 13th round any day. if he doesn’t do anything, so what. rather that than wait on my 4th round pick to win the starting job after who knows how long

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dewaser said:

ITT: people realizing their golden fourth round pick isn’t even gonna start or get the lions share of the carries unless something happens to the starter or he completely balls out. 

look, if you have the choice between picking up someone in the 13th round who is gonna start, and is a pretty good receiver at the RB position on a team that’ll probably  check down a lot, or a rookie RB who cant win the starting role in the 4th round? 

sometimes you gotta roll with the coaching staff. if the coaching staff sees something in booker to make him the starter, i’ll take him in the 13th round any day. if he doesn’t do anything, so what. rather that than wait on my 4th round pick to win the starting job after who knows how long

Booker isn't going to be the starter. He is going to be the COP/3rd down/pass blocking back when the Broncos are down and going to throw the ball at the end of games guy.  

Royce is going to see most of the action on 1st/2nd down, goal line and grinding out games when they are ahead. 

And that's just the start of the year.  If Royce's pass blocking chops improve, Booker could become exclusively a COP guy.  

Edited by PolarBear
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dewaser said:

Bro doesn't know about football or the eye test huh

You gonna start a guy like devontae Booker on your fantasy team at any point in the season? Go look at his stats last year with lesser competition. He's about as unthreatening as it gets, and every single team has competition. He's terrible, never been good, never will be good, even on NFL Network they talk about how Booker is not good.

At least last year with Jeremy Hill we were talking about competition with a dude who at one point was a thousand yard, double digit td rusher. Booker is practice squad material and that's a compliment for him. Vance is so bad they talked about firing him midseason you think he can afford to lose games with this JAG playing real chunks?

Not even sure why you would post 1700 times on this forum if you clearly don't watch games.

15 minutes ago, dewaser said:

Why wouldn't you just grab both.  Win win for you.  So you would rather draft a guy late that sucks and if he still sucks you could just drop him,  over a high upside guy that will most likely provide all year value.  

I think Booker will be completely useless for fantasy purposes, except as the foil to Freeman. It's a long season though. Tons of time for the tables to turn and Freeman to have his breakout

6 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Why wouldn't you just grab both.  Win win for you.  So you would rather draft a guy late that sucks and if he still sucks you could just drop him,  over a high upside guy that will most likely provide all year value.  

i’d rather save my fourth round pick for a guy who the coaching staff trusts and will give playing time. upside is null and void when there’s roadblocks in my way my friend. 

10 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Bro doesn't know about football or the eye test huh

You gonna start a guy like devontae Booker on your fantasy team at any point in the season? Go look at his stats last year with lesser competition. He's about as unthreatening as it gets, and every single team has competition. He's terrible, never been good, never will be good, even on NFL Network they talk about how Booker is not good.

At least last year with Jeremy Hill we were talking about competition with a dude who at one point was a thousand yard, double digit td rusher. Booker is practice squad material and that's a compliment for him. Vance is so bad they talked about firing him midseason you think he can afford to lose games with this JAG playing real chunks?

Not even sure why you would post 1700 times on this forum if you clearly don't watch games.

uh oh, this guy watches nfl network so he must be an expert...

go ahead, take freeman with your fourth round pick and wait until mid season for him to get the lions share of the carries. if you can build the rest of your team up well enough to afford waiting for your fourth rounder to put up decent numbers, then more power to you. but otherwise don’t be surprised when freeman turns into the mixon of this year