Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, dewaser said:

uh oh, this guy watches nfl network so he must be an expert...

go ahead, take freeman with your fourth round pick and wait until mid season for him to get the lions share of the carries. if you can build the rest of your team up well enough to afford waiting for your fourth rounder to put up decent numbers, then more power to you. but otherwise don’t be surprised when freeman turns into the mixon of this year 

Mixon is bad, the oline is bad, Jeremy Hill really didnt get in his way, he got in his own way by being bad. He's still bad so far. 

Devontae Booker actually got starters reps last year midseason, then lost them again to the same guy they gave him to. Coach Vance already said that Royce is getting the first and second down work and Devontae is getting work in "empty sets". How many empty sets you think this team is going to run with a solid defense and journeyman qb that they got as a Kirk Cousins consolation prize?

Royce Freeman has 3 scores in 3 games so far. If I get that production every week it could be a 5050 split and I would still get my moneys worth. Also you have clearly not looked at last seasons rushing stats from this team, they had the 8th most rushes last year.

I'll make sure to quote you in 3 weeks...

• Like 1

Honestly I’m not worried. Royce Freeman will be the lead back. Will booker get some work? Sure. But Freeman is the guy here and as the season progresses his role will expand. Hes gonna have a very productive rookie year 

• Like 1

I missed out on him in a rookie keeper league I'm in (we keep one veteran and one returning rookie player from the preceding season). He was the 2nd RB off the board after Howard (my pick), and went ahead of the likes of Shady, Ajayi, Henry, Lynch and Drake. 

Keep in mind we're allowed to keep two players per team (it's a 12 teamer) so all the elite/upper tier backs are already rostered. And, because it is a rookie keeper league, RB's like Freeman have a bit of an inflated value. 

Was really hoping he was going to be there in the 2nd, but not is this league. 

15 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Mixon is bad, the oline is bad, Jeremy Hill really didnt get in his way, he got in his own way by being bad. He's still bad so far. 

Devontae Booker actually got starters reps last year midseason, then lost them again to the same guy they gave him to. Coach Vance already said that Royce is getting the first and second down work and Devontae is getting work in "empty sets". How many empty sets you think this team is going to run with a solid defense and journeyman qb that they got as a Kirk Cousins consolation prize?

Royce Freeman has 3 scores in 3 games so far. If I get that production every week it could be a 5050 split and I would still get my moneys worth. Also you have clearly not looked at last seasons rushing stats from this team, they had the 8th most rushes last year.

I'll make sure to quote you in 3 weeks...

so now mixon is just bad... when he was a better prospect coming out of the draft than freeman. ok. and the offensive line was bad. well denver’s offensive line is a bottom half unit this year barring any significant improvements. 

if their offensive line line is bad, what’s keemun gonna do when he’s under pressure? check down. booker— while he may not be a great runner— is actually a solid pass catcher. in ppr a guy who can give you 5 catches for 40 yards shouldn’t be discounted. booker is that guy on this team. he’s not gonna light the world on fire on the ground, but i’ll take those cheap check down points anyday. 

you’re acting like freeman’s performance in the preseason holds a lot of weight. the coaching staff is playing him in the 4th game which means they’re not sold on him as the bell cow. freeman has a shot at having a good year; i think he is limited in ppr (only averaged 19 receptions a year in college compared to 40 for booker). booker also averages 30 receptions a year in the NFL and he’s been behind CJA. 

7 minutes ago, dewaser said:

so now mixon is just bad... when he was a better prospect coming out of the draft than freeman. ok. and the offensive line was bad. well denver’s offensive line is a bottom half unit this year barring any significant improvements. 

if their offensive line line is bad, what’s keemun gonna do when he’s under pressure? check down. booker— while he may not be a great runner— is actually a solid pass catcher. in ppr a guy who can give you 5 catches for 40 yards shouldn’t be discounted. booker is that guy on this team. he’s not gonna light the world on fire on the ground, but i’ll take those cheap check down points anyday. 

you’re acting like freeman’s performance in the preseason holds a lot of weight. the coaching staff is playing him in the 4th game which means they’re not sold on him as the bell cow. freeman has a shot at having a good year; i think he is limited in ppr (only averaged 19 receptions a year in college compared to 40 for booker). booker also averages 30 receptions a year in the NFL and he’s been behind CJA. 

He's been behind CJA you say? Wonder why?

You sound like that guy last year who was telling me Kareem Hunt was gonna lose work to Charcandrick. Guess what, when the RB is in on run plays, he gets the ball. When the RB is in on empty sets, he's one of 5 people the QB can throw to.

Keep chasing those 40 cheap yards

Edit- to note that most of Booker's carries came during Denvers 8 game losing streak that almost got a rookie coach fired midseason

Edited by pushaZ

1 minute ago, pushaZ said:

He's been behind CJA you say? Wonder why?

You sound like that guy last year who was telling me Kareem Hunt was gonna lose work to Charcandrick. Guess what, when the RB is in on run plays, he gets the ball. When the RB is in on empty sets, he's one of 5 people the QB can throw to.

Keep chasing those 40 cheap yards

CJA is actually is pretty good RB. booker is only in his 3rd year as a pro. he's been in the league the same amount of time as derrick henry. it's not outlandish to think that a player could improve, thus garnering all the praise he's gotten this offseason and likely the starting role. and sure, i'll take those "cheap" 40 yards with my 13th round pick while you could wait until midseason for your 4th round guy to start seeing the amount of work you thought he would see from day 1

13 minutes ago, dewaser said:

I disagree.  Denver's O-line is a little underrated esp from a run blocking standpoint, they actually weren't bad in that department last year.  Paradis and Leary are very good at C and G. Bolles actually graded out pretty well as a run blocker from PFF and Veldheer is much better than their RT option last year. 

2 minutes ago, dewaser said:

CJA is actually is pretty good RB. booker is only in his 3rd year as a pro. he's been in the league the same amount of time as derrick henry. it's not outlandish to think that a player could improve, thus garnering all the praise he's gotten this offseason and likely the starting role. and sure, i'll take those "cheap" 40 yards with my 13th round pick while you could wait until midseason for your 4th round guy to start seeing the amount of work you thought he would see from day 1

good luck

6H4xgMg.png

• Like 1

Just now, lolcopter said:

good luck

6H4xgMg.png

He likes his points cheap. They make for cheap losses.

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

good luck

6H4xgMg.png

standard scoring? LOL step out of the dark ages

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dewaser said:

standard scoring? LOL step out of the dark ages

still garbage. enjoy your 5 points I guess

lhosf5A.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I predict by week 3 this thread will devolve into a VJ is the worst coach ever thread. Why don’t they use Freeman more Joseph sucks and Fire Elway thread. The reason Freeman isn’t going to get the bulk of the carries is he can’t pass block. Atleast as of now. Yes, he is the best runner on the squad. But the Broncos are more comfortable with Booker. One thing Freeman does have going for him is that although Booker is more well rounded is is still a mediocre pass blocker. Royce will have his shot to learn the trade of blocking. I think his ADP is to high for me but I do t fault anyone for buying in either. I am personally staying away from this backfield. And whoever said the Broncos O-Line sucks has no idea what they are talking about. And last point Booker sucks. 

• Like 4

On 8/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, lolcopter said:

Just chill out he might not even play at all

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

I thought that all back-ups play in game 4. :lol:  I wanted to see him with some extended work.

Let's say it's a 5050 split... Which would be about 30 percent less for Freeman than CJ Anderson had last year... How bad is that for a proven touchdown producer in the 30s? 50 percent splits go on all the time, Devontae Freeman won't get much more than 60-40 or 60-39-10 to Ito Smith. He's going 15 picks earlier. Mixon has to hold off Gio Bernard who is a better player in every way, he's unlikely to get more than 65 percent of the work. Jerick McKinnon hasn't had more than 50 percent split in his career. Even Lamar Miller has to split his carries with Deshaun Watson, Lamar Miller lost work to Alfred Blue late last year. Jordan Howard split with Tarik, who's another better player, Dalvin Cook with Latavius a 1,000 yard guy, Kareem Hunt with Spencer Ware who was a fantasy gold mine 2 years ago. Kenyan Drake has Frank Gore. Kamara has Ingram. Jamaal Williams has Aaron Jones who could take the job outright. Chris Carson has a first round rookie, Melvin Gordon has Ekeler who has a career average of close to 6ypc if you count preseason. 

Royce has Devontae Booker who is worse than all of those guys, people freak out.

As far as Royce goes, his pass blocking is underrated, he's really not that bad. Someone find me a blown protection? And what's with people interpreting Vance's comments that he doesn't care who the starter is because either could get the first play? People are saying that means Devontae Booker is the starter? Or is there some official tweet I haven't read where Devontae is annointed the starter.

4 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

I thought that all back-ups play in game 4. :lol:  I wanted to see him with some extended work.

Tweet from heaven

• Haha 1

yawn, Booker is not good.  You don't make bellcows out of bad RBs because they're a little better at pass blocking.  I think worst case scenario here Booker is the 3DRB.

of course they might end up changing their gameplan to fit the personnel, aka: run the ball a little more and work some screens in w/ Freeman.

14 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

In that case Royce Freeman is a 1000 yard back.     That’s what CJA was.    Now you add in better weapons downfield and a better qb- plus Royce is actually faster than CJ...  he should be a nice rb2 option at worst.    The gulf between him and Booker is astounding-  it jumps off the screen when you watch the two.    Midseason sometime he’ll be a top 10 option weekly imo.  

As a CJ Anderson owner last year, I can tell you that his end of season numbers meant nothing. Nobody was starting him, because by the time the coaching staff actually let Anderson run, he had burned you 7-9 times previously. I don't doubt Freeman's talent, I just doubt the coaching staff. Maybe they learned something at the end of last season and will turn the job over to Freeman, but recent coach speak says otherwise.

42 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

As a CJ Anderson owner last year, I can tell you that his end of season numbers meant nothing. Nobody was starting him, because by the time the coaching staff actually let Anderson run, he had burned you 7-9 times previously. I don't doubt Freeman's talent, I just doubt the coaching staff. Maybe they learned something at the end of last season and will turn the job over to Freeman, but recent coach speak says otherwise.

I think if you were to sprinkle in an additional 7 touchdowns over the course of last season you might have felt differently. Royce is a TD machine, showed it in preseason, showed it in his 60 college TDs.

56 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

As if the weekly distribution will be the same?  Lol

You gotta understand...CJA was a back they were trying to move on from for YEARS.   Injuries and salary mostly. Booker just wasn’t good enough to get it done.  The FO wanted him to be in the worst way- he just isn’t any good. 

By all accounts Freeman touch distribution should escalate as the year progresses and he gets more comfortable in the offense.   Completely different situation.  

Edited by Impreza178