Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

54 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Someone made a Howard/Cohen comp earlier— dead on from what I’ve seen.   Remember early last season everyone was fawning over Cohen and Howard was FINISHED? 

By end of season...Howard rb9 and Cohen maybe a flex starter if desperate.     Very efficient duo IRL tho. 

More comparable to Dion Lewis than Cohen...but I can dig Freeman/Howard aspect. Its going to be a very good backfield and hopefully Booker is phased out.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

More comparable to Dion Lewis than Cohen...but I can dig Freeman/Howard aspect. Its going to be a very good backfield and hopefully Booker is phased out.

Agree with your point....but not the comp.  Lewis is more of a fireplug with a thick lower body and Lindsay is much thinner- his natural weight is 170-180.     

Either way, it’s cool to see the contrast between the two backs.   Thunder and Lightning 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

I'd have to disagree.  C.J. Anderson was the clear-cut guy the last couple of years, and before last year it was a different coaching staff altogether.  No one should have expected Freeman to be "the man" this year anyhow.  The expectation was always that Booker and/or Lindsay were going to still be involved.  And no one really knew if the Broncos' O-line and QB issues had been solved yet either.  Freeman was always going to be an RB2 at best this year.  I think you're confusing the Denver backfield with New England's.  The rule is and always has been, don't ever trust a Belichick RB.  ;)

False. Anyone who owned C.J. Anderson the last couple of years knows that this is not true. His end of season numbers may make it look this way, but Jamaal Charles and Booker got a ton of run last year for no good reason at all, just like Booker will this year. Of course there will be more than one RB rotated in, but the frustrating part last year is when they put the other guys in. They would pull Anderson in the redzone for Jamaal Charles. Or, Anderson would have a good series where he picked up chunk yardage consistently, only to be replaced by Booker for no real reason. Anderson was not the "clear-cut guy" until around week 12.

Edited by wonderbread
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

False. Anyone who owned C.J. Anderson the last couple of years knows that this is not true. His end of season numbers may make it look this way, but Jamaal Charles and Booker got a ton of run last year for no good reason at all, just like Booker will this year. Of course there will be more than one RB rotated in, but the frustrating part last year is when they put the other guys in. They would pull Anderson in the redzone for Jamaal Charles. Or, Anderson would have a good series where he picked up chunk yardage consistently, only to be replaced by Booker for no real reason. Anderson was not the "clear-cut guy" until around week 12.

I think the difference is that CJ Anderson isn't good.

Philip Lindsay is concerning but unless you have Gurley or Zeke, most of these guys are going to have to share time.

30 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I think the difference is that CJ Anderson isn't good.

Philip Lindsay is concerning but unless you have Gurley or Zeke, most of these guys are going to have to share time.

Oh, I agree with those who say this will be a Howard/Cohen situation. I'm fully aware that no RB plays 100% of the snaps, it just seems like the coaching staff just predetermines that they're gonna rotate different guys in for a series, regardless of who is playing well or what situation they are in. CJ Anderson may not be good, but he was far and away the best RB on the roster last year and they still went away from him regardless of how well/poorly he was playing. I was just replying to the post that said that CJ Anderson was the "clear-cut guy" last year, not speaking to Freeman's situation for this season.

Edited by wonderbread

2 hours ago, wonderbread said:

250 carries is 250 carries... you can't look at that number and say wellll it might look like he had 250 carries but he didn't run the ball as much as it looks like.

booker had less than 5 carries a game while CJ averaged 15.5 

Booker and Charles collectively had 2 rushing touchdowns. the broncos didn't get to the redzone much, they knew Denver couldn't throw the football.

Your other claim is completely false. 

"Anderson was not the "clear-cut guy" until around week 12."

Carries the first 5 weeks...

booker got more carries mid season mainly because CJ wasn't doing much with his touches and he got benched when he fumbled against the bengals.

Edited by meekzy
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Agree with your point....but not the comp.  Lewis is more of a fireplug with a thick lower body and Lindsay is much thinner- his natural weight is 170-180.     

Either way, it’s cool to see the contrast between the two backs.   Thunder and Lightning 

Good point! I was just more impressed with what he did in between the tackles then you see from most RBs his size. Although he didnt show patience at times.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, meekzy said:

250 carries is 250 carries... you can't look at that number and say wellll it might look like he had 250 carries but he didn't run the ball as much as it looks like.

booker had less than 5 carries a game while CJ averaged 15.5 

Booker and Charles collectively had 2 rushing touchdowns. the broncos didn't get to the redzone much, they knew Denver couldn't throw the football.

Your other claim is completely false. 

"Anderson was not the "clear-cut guy" until around week 12."

Carries the first 5 weeks...

booker got more carries mid season mainly because CJ wasn't doing much with his touches and he got benched when he fumbled against the bengals.

Well said.  I'll also add that I've never seen a back voluntarily take himself out of a game as much as C.J. Anderson.  It was rare for him to be able to last an entire series, much less a set of downs (which unfortunately, usually didn't last long anyway lol).  He was always tapping out.  I think the Broncos' coaching staff would've liked to use him even more than they did, with Booker still coming back from injury and Charles fumbling it every time he got the ball.  It was far from an even timeshare situation.

Anyway, back to Freeman and the question at hand....I DO see this as closer to an even timeshare or possibly 60-40 in favor of Freeman.  The main difference is Lindsay is better than Charles and Booker were last year and has earned more work.  Plus the Broncos' O-line looks to be much improved, so it's not as dependent on the back to make something happen out of nothing.  Both will probably be at least flex-worthy most weeks (and Lindsay, especially so in PPR) with RB2 upside depending on matchups.  Neither one is going to be a bell cow.

You can’t expect a Kareem Hunt opening game from every rookie running back. We know he is very talented and it will show. Not worried at all. He is going to eat. Patience is key in fantasy football which many people on this forum don’t have. This is a pattern I’ve noticed many years on this forum. Everyone wants instant gratification and if they don’t get it they are panicking and making stupid decisions. Let’s see how things shake out game 2. 

• Like 3

week 1 is always an anomaly week....every year this happens....of course even i couldnt help but get upset with his usage this week but oakland should be a much better matchup for us this week...they had no answer for the run last night 

• Like 3

Lindsey's usage was a little alarming (although I guess he kind of just fills in the role many Booker expected to fill early-on) but how did Freeman look in general especially relative to Lindsey. Lindsey as a smaller back I'd expect would be more of a threat to Freeman's receiving role (which Booker was already projected to occupy at least to start) than his GL role but is he clearly a better receiver than Freeman (I doubt he is any better pass blocker)?

• Thanks 1

Royce actually looked really good. Solid YPC, even though he saw a stacked box on 68% of his carries, highest of any RB in week 1. 

Vance is going to have to get a little more creative to fix this. Royce is going to have to work on pass pro, and get involved in the passing game. You tip your hand too much towards a run D when you have Freeman out there otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Lindsey's usage was a little alarming (although I guess he kind of just fills in the role many Booker expected to fill early-on) but how did Freeman look in general especially relative to Lindsey. Lindsey as a smaller back I'd expect would be more of a threat to Freeman's receiving role (which Booker was already projected to occupy at least to start) than his GL role but is he clearly a better receiver than Freeman (I doubt he is any better pass blocker)?

Excellent perspective. I own RF and am not panicking over Lindsay because like you said, he just took Bookers role. Freeman looked better as the game wore on.  Many RBs do much better in the second half when the defenses wear down especially in the heat. 

Freeman will be fine even if Lindsay eats some too. There is plenty of pie to go around for both. Ask Kamara and Ingram or AP and CThompson. 

1 minute ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Royce actually looked really good. Solid YPC, even though he saw a stacked box on 68% of his carries, highest of any RB in week 1. 

Vance is going to have to get a little more creative to fix this. Royce is going to have to work on pass pro, and get involved in the passing game. You tip your hand too much towards a run D when you have Freeman out there otherwise. 

That's asking alot from Vance

• Like 1

He saw stacked boxes because Seattle always brings a safety down and plays a lot of single high coverage.  That stat is a little misleading because Seattle does that to everybody.  

The Broncos O-line was really good (as I have been saying it would be) and Keenum is an obvious improvement on what they had.  Feeling good about Freeman. 

Edited by PolarBear

Oakland run stopper Justin Ellis is also out. If denver can play good D, which im counting on and sitting cooper. It should allow Denver to run the ball. Im playing royce because I cant start henry or crowell but im gaining confidence with each day that passes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

There is plenty of pie to go around for both. Ask Kamara and Ingram or AP and CThompson. 

Those offenses are extremely potent and have enough to go around. Denver might be that too, don't get me wrong, but the may be a good amount of games where 1 of 2 owners (Freeman or Lindsay) may get the short end of the stick based on which team has the lead when the 4th quarter rolls around. If they're down 10, Freeman may disappear, and vice versa if they have a solid lead and just want to pound the rock with Royce. I would assume they handle the Raiders and this game leans more in Royce's favor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Royce rolls sunday- 22 car for 130 yds and 2 TD

From your lips to God’s ears........so let it be done! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

Raiders D line is decimated. Hopefully Royce can punish them.

I think he will... Broncos should be able to run with ease 

Freeman played well, ran hard. It was his first NFL game and he definitely came to play.  

The only reason people are freaking out is because Lindsay had all those touches.  Lets just see what happens over the next couple of games before we jump ship.

• Like 1