Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

This will be a big week for Royce's owners to get a sense of which way his season is trending. 

Vance Joseph made the dreaded "needs more opportunities because he is playing good football" comment and then Freeman proceeded to have his lowest carry total (5) of the season. On the bright side he was involved in the passing game more than he had been (3 catches on 4 targets), and the game script certainly favored lots of passing since the Broncos got smoked. 

The Rams will likely put a lot of pressure on the Broncos to score, and could easily force them into another pass heavy game script, but I'm hoping to see Royce getting the ball early and often in an effort to control TOP.

The Seahawks were able to run on the Rams last week: 

Mike Davis - 12 carries, 68 yards, TD (5.66 YPC)

Chris Carson - 19 carries, 116 yards  (6.10 YPC)

It seems like the gamplan for the Broncos would be to try to get Freeman going!

If they can’t see by now that their strength is RUNNING the football and not having to count on Keenum to throw 50 times then John Elway and Co need to go back to school and learn how to hir quality people. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Royce should be the lead back, period. I'm a Lindsay owner but even I know that. There is room for both of them to flourish in the offense. We've seen it with lots of RB combos in the league this year. What Denver needs to do is stop passing so much. Did they even have a run game in Minnesota last year? I don't even know. What I do know is Keenum doesn't need to be throwing 50 times a game, that's for sure. Royce and Lindsay should be running over dudes all game.

Well stated.  if Keenum is passing it 40+ times, a decent portion of those should be dump offs and swing routes to LINDSAY.    

Freeman 18/95/1

lindsay 8/45   7/60/1 receiving 

it would be a beautiful thing — both for fantasy and IRL.   Frustrating 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

If they can’t see by now that their strength is RUNNING the football and not having to count on Keenum to throw 50 times then John Elway and Co need to go back to school and learn how to hir quality people. 

You have to believe that Elway is not pleased with Vance Joseph. 

Keenum, for as much as people hate him, is infinitely better than what they had last year. 

Sutton was a great draft pick

Freeman was a great draft pick

Lindsay was a great pick up

They still have Sanders/Thomas

And yet, they offense still doesn't work. 

26 minutes ago, Fantasygmang said:

should I trade mark Ingram for Kennan Allen and Wentz full ppr 

roster is 

Brees 

barkley

hunt

robinson 

hilton(out)

kelce

woods

ingram Carson enunwa Davis funchess on bench 

How this hasn't been removed yet is crazy lol

• Haha 2

A reminder, team and league specific roster/trade advice does NOT belong in the player threads. This content will be removed from said threads, take those questions to the AC forum.

• Like 1

vs 8+ in the box

Freeman 51% (highest rate in the NFL, min 30 attempts)

Lindsay 22%

Lindsay is good but directly comparing stats is a bit misleading when freeman faces a stacked box twice as much as Lindsay.

It's impressive he has over 5YPC considering players like gordon, hunt, Elliot, gurley and other RBs in pass happy offenses face less that 20 and 15%.

Part of this is Denver showing its hand pre-snap with freeman on the field but still impressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

You have to believe that Elway is not pleased with Vance Joseph. 

Keenum, for as much as people hate him, is infinitely better than what they had last year. 

Sutton was a great draft pick

Freeman was a great draft pick

Lindsay was a great pick up

They still have Sanders/Thomas

And yet, they offense still doesn't work. 

Yeah, I agree.....I can’t vusualize Elway enjoying a Bud all relaxed when Keenum goes back to pass 40+ times. 

1 hour ago, meekzy said:

vs 8+ in the box

Lindsay 22%

Lindsay is good but directly comparing stats is a bit misleading when freeman faces a stacked box twice as much as Lindsay.

It's impressive he has over 5YPC considering players like gordon, hunt, Elliot, gurley and other RBs in pass happy offenses face less that 20 and 15%.

Part of this is Denver showing its hand pre-snap with freeman on the field but still impressive.

Wow, such lack of respect for Keenum and the passing game. 

19 hours ago, meekzy said:

vs 8+ in the box

Lindsay 22%

Good point but do you see that percentage changing in any way that helps freeman moving forward? If not then he's gonna continue to struggle. Especially with keenum back tgere

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guwop said:

Good point but do you see that percentage changing in any way that helps freeman moving forward? If not then he's gonna continue to struggle. Especially with keenum back tgere

That's the thing he's not struggling he's excelling, his usage is just capped until Denver gets a coaching staff that doesn't snort glue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TwoCan Sam said:

If they would just take Booker out of rotation this would solve the issue immensely.

but as mentioned above...glue snorting...

Yeah because getting Keenum sacked even more often will do wonders for this offense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meekzy said:

That's the thing he's not struggling he's excelling, his usage is just capped until Denver gets a coaching staff that doesn't snort glue.

I meant struggling in fantasy. And I definitely don't trust that coaching staff 

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Yeah because getting Keenum sacked even more often will do wonders for this offense

Handing the ball off to Royce "5.1 YPC" Freeman 20 times a game would do wonders for Keenum's sack rate. But the coaching staff isn't interested in that (or winning), so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might just go with my gut and play Freeman this week. I don't have good options to begin with, but I really think the Broncos come out intent on establishing the run and trying to control T.O.P. to keep the ball away from the Rams offense. 

Before last week Freeman hadn't had fewer than 8 carries in a game, and he had scored a TD in three straight weeks. If there is a renewed commitment to the run, he should get 10-12 carries and should still have a good chance at a TD. 

At least that's what I'm telling myself as I try to talk myself into starting him. 

2 minutes ago, Kaytwo said:

Handing the ball off to Royce "5.1 YPC" Freeman 20 times a game would do wonders for Keenum's sack rate. But the coaching staff isn't interested in that (or winning), so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They also refuse to run play action despite the stacked boxes — only using PA around 16% of the time. Even more idiotic because Keenum’s rating under play action is 100+ but for normal drop backs it’s garbage like 70 something. GREAT PLAY CALLING YOU IDIOTS

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 1

As others wrote I agree 

Freeman should be getting the ball more. 

Keenum should be throwing the ball less 

is this all Vance Joseph’s fault? I think not. 

I just don’t think Elway is one of those that keeps his mouth shut. He must have voiced his opinion on how things should be run. 

On 10/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, Impreza178 said:

Its going to be around freezing at game time with 70% chance of snow currently.  Yeah-  it’s been cold here in Denver.  Snowing right now actually LOL.  Against the LOS ANGELES Rams.

Blast em with Freeman all game.     

A lot of talk about the next 2 games being critical for VJ.   If they lose both there’s almost no chance he’s the coach after the bye.    Mike Shanahan and Kubiak both being thrown around as interim coaches.   We’ll see.    

With the weather forecasted this is looking like a Royce type of day. I do agree. 

I remember that one year living in Colorado. The winter was brutal. 

would people rather own freeman or smallwood right now? just curious where people are valuing him.

2 minutes ago, meekzy said:

would people rather own freeman or smallwood right now? just curious where people are valuing him.

For me, still Freeman.  Eagles might trade for Shady which makes Smallwood pretty irrelevant.  Freeman was irrelevant last game, I get that, but as it gets colder, I imagine Denver will ramp up Freeman's workload.  Plus as a rookie, possible he improves pass protection as the year goes on and gets more playing time.  Even if the Eagles backfield stays as is for the year, I think I still like Freeman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

I might just go with my gut and play Freeman this week. I don't have good options to begin with, but I really think the Broncos come out intent on establishing the run and trying to control T.O.P. to keep the ball away from the Rams offense. 

Before last week Freeman hadn't had fewer than 8 carries in a game, and he had scored a TD in three straight weeks. If there is a renewed commitment to the run, he should get 10-12 carries and should still have a good chance at a TD. 

At least that's what I'm telling myself as I try to talk myself into starting him. 

People said that last week after the coach speak and it didn't work. If you don't have any other options you have e no choice but you're hoping for the best with the coaching staff and Lindsay around

17 hours ago, Guwop said:

People said that last week after the coach speak and it didn't work. If you don't have any other options you have e no choice but you're hoping for the best with the coaching staff and Lindsay around

Sure, but last week was the first week where playing Freeman really hurt anyone. The three weeks before that he'd had at least 8 carries and a TD, good for 9-13 points per week. Last week looks like his floor, and he had 8 touches (5 carries, 3 receptions) and 47 total yards. If he scores a TD (like he had thre previous 3 games) no one is complaining and he's probably being viewed as a very steady RB3/flex with RB2 upside. 

The fact that they didn't follow through on the coach speak and get him more touches last week and they got their doors blown off by the lowly Jets *could* be viewed as a positive for Freeman. They are running out of time to figure it out on offense. I have to believe that after watching the tape they realize putting it all on Case Keenum's shoulders every week is not a winning formula. They should double down on the run game, especially in bad weather, and Freeman could be in line for a breakout game. 

• Like 2

I dropped Freeman before last weeks game.

With regards to “Freeman hasn’t hurt anyone”.  That’s not true, Freeman was drafted as a RB2 but with lack of volume he’s been unplayable.

I keep guys that have upside, I don’t think Freeman has that...

• Like 2

Does the weather favor running him?

Freezing temps some snow. Might hurt passing game

Just now, CanaBuc said:

Does the weather favor running him?

Freezing temps some snow. Might hurt passing game

way too logical for this coaching staff. Keenum will have 30+ passing attempts guaranteed, and Freeman will be lucky to get double digits touches (again)

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

way too logical for this coaching staff. Keenum will have 30+ passing attempts guaranteed, and Freeman will be lucky to get double digits touches (again)

Yep and we lose to the LA RAMS in the snow.  What a F’in embarrassment 

the forecasted high is now 30 degrees on Sunday, with 2-5 inches of snow in the city.   

Edited by Impreza178