Geaux Saints

Royce Freeman 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Sternes said:

How was this calculated?  I saw them get destroyed in short yardage very often.  They never seemed to impose their will on other teams.  They weren't bad, but lower middle of the pack is around where I would peg them, 16-20 range.  With another year, I could see them leap around where you suggest, top 10.   That is just my read after watching them.  Some of that could be tainted by the terrible play calls and poor pass protection.

I do expect better this year, but it would be from internal talent improving.  That was my point, rather than them being revamped by outside reinforcements.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?q=stats/ol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

They have some interesting stuff, and stuff I don't like.  I enjoy them thinking out the box, but I don't put much merit in this.  If I understand it correctly, if CJ gets hit in the backfield, fights through 3 tackles, and gains a yard, it is a neutral play for the line? 

Just not a fan, but appreciate the source.

• Like 1

A third-round pick, Freeman is competing with Devontae Booker and De'Angelo Henderson for work. The most likely outcome is a committee, but Joseph is leaving open the possibility of Freeman winning a featured role. If he does, he will have a good chance to pay off his fifth-round ADP.

Edited by nine9s

A ton of risk at that ADP. I have zero confidence in this coaching staff committing to a rookie

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lolcopter said:

A ton of risk at that ADP. I have zero confidence in this coaching staff committing to a rookie

we learned that last year.

25 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

we learned that last year.

What we've learned since the TD years >>> draft the Bronco rb2

4 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Who...pray tell...would that be 

12 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Who...pray tell...would that be 

Terrell Davis

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, psygolf said:

Terrell Davis

That was 20 years ago Psy.    If you can tell me which of the 3 backs leads in touches this season-  you’re a better man than I. 

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

That was 20 years ago Psy.    If you can tell me which of the 3 backs leads in touches this season-  you’re a better man than I. 

Booker, take him with a late pick & hope for a few weeks of RB2 from midseason on.

8 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Ok...let me rephrase.  

Don't draft the Bronco with the highest adp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cousinal111 said:

Booker, take him with a late pick & hope for a few weeks of RB2 from midseason on.

Id think Booker would be more useful early season until Royce gets up to speed and takes a lot of work.   That’s completely disregarding Henderson who I think will be very involved.   

Booker is the value pick right now with Royce going 4th/5th round in redraft- which is crazy to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

Ok...let me rephrase.  

Don't draft the Bronco with the highest adp.

Agree 100%.    

@petekrum talked me into Montee Ball early one year-   Never again 

• Haha 1

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Agree 100%.    

@petekrum talked me into Montee Ball early one year-   Never again 

...and don't draft a PSU rb.

7 minutes ago, psygolf said:

...and don't draft a PSU rb.

?  

Montee played at Wisconsin 

Sometimes you gotta get the RB3.  In 2014, i'm pretty sure the depth chart read Ball, Hillman, then CJ Anderson, and CJ wound up being the guy

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, psygolf said:

The problem was determining who the lead back was during Shanny's coaching career when TD was gone. But Shanny churned out RB1's every season with his scheme.

More like don't invest high in a Broncos RB with the current/recent regime.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

?  

Montee played at Wisconsin 

His badger-blood was too thick for mile high oxygen

• Haha 1

Freeman will be the starter here and get a decent workload at worst IMO. I've come around a ton on him. Better value than Coleman or Lamar Miller in the 6th where he's being drafted. There is some risk here but Denver's offense should be much much better so the RB2 possibility is almost a certainty barring injury or fumble issues

• Like 1

Well, I’ll be contrarian here.  

IMO Booker is no better than a backup RB.  The problem seems to be that he must look like a stud on the practice field, because despite his history of being incapable of being starter-level productive every time he gets a chance he still gets pimped relentless by the staff and management and takes up premium snaps.

That leaves Freeman and Henderson to eventually fight it out for RB1 duties.  Freeman may be the one to win it - and I think he may have enough game to do so - but Henderson has looked electric in camp and preseason, with teammates and beat writers raving about his abilities.  Henderson is only 5’-7” but packs 209 lbs on his frame.  That’s plenty enough BMI to be a 3 down RB.  He’s going to be the last pick in your draft, but if DEN finally decides to award the position on talent and productivity instead of management ego and sunken cost draft status, Henderson could just sneak his way into being the FF SOD this year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

but if DEN finally decides to award the position on talent and productivity instead of management ego and sunken cost draft status, Henderson could just sneak his way into being the FF SOD this year.

True, but if they felt this way about Henderson why draft Royce in the third?  De'angelo could certainly have a role.  Heck, he caught 33, 40, and 20 balls, respectively, in his last three seasons at Coastal Carolina.  We've seen so little of him actually on the field in the NFL it's really hard to say.  Booker has never shown me anything, so if I had to pick one to be the odd man out it would be him.

41 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

@Impreza178 @lolcopter

How reputable is Legwold as a DEN source?

Legwold is certainly reputable-  but it’s nothing we don’t know already.    Royce has the talent, it’s just a question of when the coaches are going to hand him the keys.    It’s a bold leap to assume that happens before midseason at the earliest with this CS.     But let’s just wait and see...VJ is going into his second year with a new OC- certainly not a coach id consider entrenched in his ways.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Thanks 1

The HC was a corner backs coach for 12 years, one year DC, then got the HC job in DEN. He's on the hot seat. Front office is telling him what to do.

OC let Peyton Manning audible career seasons, then took the HC job in SD.  He sucked, got fired, and Elway gave him his old job back.

Front Office:

The biggest change in Denver from last year.....Kubiak is back. He left for health reasons, and now has a position similar to Tom Coughlin in JAX.

Kubiak is calling the shots. Kubiak drafted this kid. Barring injuries, Kubiak always has a top 5 RB.

Keenam was Kubiaks backup QB in HOU when Arian Foster was the greatest show on earth.

You kids are talking about all the wrong things!

• Like 1