Rolling Thunder

Ronald Jones 2018 Outlook

4 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I got Jones purely as a speculative add. He does nothing this week or if Barber plays better than him, I move on. 

Exactly.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Chris Carson has back to  back 100 yard games (weeks 3 and 5) and is averaging 4.6  yards per carry. Mike Davis had 100  yards the week Carson was out. That is why Penny's draft capital is meaningless at this point.

Peyton Barber was trash before the year started. Peyton Barber has been trash all  year. If Barber had been playing well, I wouldn't be high on Jones at all. As it is, I don't have much faith in him, but if he is one of those guys that simply takes time to adjust to the NFL he could be a second half fantasy lottery ticket that pays off.

The fact that Carson+ Davis had big running games separately and in tandem indicates to me that the o-line is doing it's job because once you get past the fanboy goggles or penny hate. neither Carson nor Davis are very talented runners. Very mediocre. 

I don't think the bucs run blocking is that great but with Winston under center the offense should open up

Edited by dashoe

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The fact that Carson+ Davis had big running games separately and in tandem indicates to me that the o-line is doing it's job because once you get past the fanboy goggles or penny hate. neither Carson nor Davis are very talented runners. Very mediocre. 

I don't think the bucs run blocking is that great but with Winston under center the offense should open up

Agreed, my point was simply that Barber wasn't getting the job done so it's easier to see Jones getting a chance. 

There is no question that from what we've seen Penny>>>>Jones, but I'd rather have Jones right now because the path to touches is far more open for him. 

• Like 1

Barber has had a daunting schedule, poor blocking and the most predictable runs called for him this year, it's really not his fault for the poor YPC.

Nobody knows how this is gonna play out, but if you think that the Bucs are gonna just demote Barber, then you don't realize how much Dirk loves him--whether it's based in any logic or not...if anything this projects to be a terrible time share drain, ala GB, where 3 backs divvy up the carries.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Barber has had a daunting schedule, poor blocking and the most predictable runs called for him this year, it's really not his fault for the poor YPC.

Nobody knows how this is gonna play out, but if you think that the Bucs are gonna just demote Barber, then you don't realize how much Dirk loves him--whether it's based in any logic or not...if anything this projects to be a terrible time share drain, ala GB, where 3 backs divvy up the carries.

I wouldn't call it daunting. Two tough games vs Philly & Chi but two easy games vs NO & Pit.

32 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Agreed, my point was simply that Barber wasn't getting the job done so it's easier to see Jones getting a chance. 

There is no question that from what we've seen Penny>>>>Jones, but I'd rather have Jones right now because the path to touches is far more open for him. 

Penny is better than Jones???, after he’s been allowed to platoon 4 games and been horrific and is now 3rd string behind two veterans who have never done much before?? Jones has been injured all off season and has played 10 snaps so far. You people are goofy.  Penny comes from a smaller school where rb’s kind of do what they do against competition. He didn’t face the crazy talent in college Jones did. Penny was a 3rd round projection, taken waaaay too early. Jones was projected a top 10 pick before his combine 40 time due to injury. It doesn’t mean Jones will succeed, but can we at least have some background perspective here please.

1 minute ago, yanksman said:

I wouldn't call it daunting. Two tough games vs Philly & Chi but two easy games vs NO & Pit.

NO is top 5 against the run, yes the game script was there, but they kept their foot on the gas mostly. I am not positive but PIT is at least OK v run...they shut down Free and Coleman pretty good this last week.

Be sure to quote me with all of your I told you sos when Ronald jones balls out. I’ll be looking forward to it

6 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Be sure to quote me with all of your I told you sos when Ronald jones balls out. I’ll be looking forward to it

Will that still be valid in 2-3 seasons?

1 hour ago, Panthers8912 said:

Sarcasm? LOL. 

Honestly, I kind of doubt he pans out but he has an easier path to the starting gig over guys like Chubb and Penny so he's worth a spot right now to me. Although if he's named the starter against ATL I think I'm gonna roll the dice with him in my lineup because they are just so bad on defense.

• Haha 1

Can’t decide whether I want to stash this guy over some of the bigger name waiver guys this week. I think I might grab one of the other guys, but watch for news on Jones this week.

Has there been any update or news from the team regarding his situation? Hopefully he's going to continue playing more?

14 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

Can’t decide whether I want to stash this guy over some of the bigger name waiver guys this week. I think I might grab one of the other guys, but watch for news on Jones this week.

Jones is on waivers for me, but this week in particular (and I hate doing this) where I run without a kicker....

I play in a deeper league (16 teams) where it's often best to get ahead of the waivers for the following week.

Say RoJo gets 10 carries for 35 yards and Barber gets 12 carries for 40 yards in week 6 isn't that a sign he should be rostered? Wouldn't you rather have him already if you could before "seeing" how he does? This is a 2nd rounder high draft capital player that hasn't been given a real chance yet (was awful in preseason, I know) but the real key is that his barrier isn't performing. Rojo was considered one of the top 7 and a highly touted back from this year's class. Ignoring Saquon who was already known to be elite we also saw Guice injured. Then In Seattle, Carson and Davis have shown flashes so Penny is understandably taking a back seat. Chubb has Hyde-- Freeman unexpectedly has Lindsa... and Kerryon (Free Kerryon!!) and Sony are free from most of their rookie restrictions. 

If he sucks-- drop him off your bench and add a speculative 4pm/Sun night/Monday night player if your league allows. He plays at 1pm which is ideal. I will be holding because my league goes 240 players deep-- but it's better to drop trash you will never play anyway for a speculative pickup that could take hold of the job. For instance I would rather have the prospect of Rojo than I would the current prospects of Penny on my bench... but the majority of shallower leagues would see Penny rostered long before Rojo. Reach for the Stars, woody. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, johnnymozart said:

I play in a deeper league (16 teams) where it's often best to get ahead of the waivers for the following week.

Say RoJo gets 10 carries for 35 yards and Barber gets 12 carries for 40 yards in week 6 isn't that a sign he should be rostered? Wouldn't you rather have him already if you could before "seeing" how he does? This is a 2nd rounder high draft capital player that hasn't been given a real chance yet (was awful in preseason, I know) but the real key is that his barrier isn't performing. Rojo was considered one of the top 7 and a highly touted back from this year's class. Ignoring Saquon who was already known to be elite we also saw Guice injured. Then In Seattle, Carson and Davis have shown flashes so Penny is understandably taking a back seat. Chubb has Hyde-- Freeman unexpectedly has Lindsa... and Kerryon (Free Kerryon!!) and Sony are free from most of their rookie restrictions. 

If he sucks-- drop him off your bench and add a speculative 4pm/Sun night/Monday night player if your league allows. He plays at 1pm which is ideal. I will be holding because my league goes 240 players deep-- but it's better to drop trash you will never play anyway for a speculative pickup that could take hold of the job. For instance I would rather have the prospect of Rojo than I would the current prospects of Penny on my bench... but the majority of shallower leagues would see Penny rostered long before Rojo. Reach for the Stars, woody. 

Yeah, it was a sharp move to roster this dude right after it was announced that he was active before their last game. Then he played a decent amount of snaps and wasn't awful. Now he gets a bye to work on the things that kept him inactive (pass blocking etc..). I am not expecting 20-100-1, but all he needs to be is as good as Barber and he is instantly their #1 back going forward with upside. 

The haters are acting as if the rest of us are advocating for trading AJ Green to get him. He was simply a FA/Waiver/FAAB pick up that cost most of us next to nothing. 

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Yeah, it was a sharp move to roster this dude right after it was announced that he was active before their last game. Then he played a decent amount of snaps and wasn't awful. Now he gets a bye to work on the things that kept him inactive (pass blocking etc..). I am not expecting 20-100-1, but all he needs to be is as good as Barber and he is instantly their #1 back going forward with upside. 

The haters are acting as if the rest of us are advocating for trading AJ Green to get him. He was simply a FA/Waiver/FAAB pick up that cost most of us next to nothing. 

Yup. Cost me my 14th waiver position in a 14 team league. So he was free. Nobody that got him in the last few weeks had to pay anything significant for him.

6 hours ago, yanksman said:

Easy game vs New Orleans? You do realize that the Saints' rushing defense is 3rd in yards per game  and 1st in yards per carry, right? 

• Thanks 1

Don't see many Tampa games, will Jones be used as an all downs RB?  If so, he's a good add imo, if not, i'll pass.  I already have Freeman and his under usage on my bench.

20 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Someone on TB is going to gash the Falcons...why not their prized rookie?

Jones may have a great game but hes still a bench stash at this point. I do expect his role to slowly grow with a few extra carries here and there.  As mentioned before the RBs ahead of him haven't done much and they may just want to see what Jones can do with more touches.

He was basically a free waiver pickup as he was dropped in all my leagues - including a couple keeper leagues.  When he was inactive in back to back weeks people dropped him.  But now this is where TB wants to see what he can do and they had a bye week to work in a few extra wrinkles if they so chose.

If nothing happens in the next week or two then maybe he is indeed a drop but he's a free lottery ticket right now.  No way I can start him but he may bust out on my bench and that is fine. If he blows up then he's worth a flex start going forward.

Posted (edited)

Anybody seen any news or reports over the bye of who the starter will be next week? Any indications at all from beat writers or anyone?

Edited by TrueToTheBlue

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Don't see many Tampa games, will Jones be used as an all downs RB?  If so, he's a good add imo, if not, i'll pass.  I already have Freeman and his under usage on my bench.

To be determined. Quizz figures to be 3rd down, COP back getting possibly 30% of the work, but that is all pure speculation. There were also reports that Jones has struggled in the passing game but is steadily improving in this area.

Winston, unlike Fitz does check down to his backs so even if he lost snaps to quizz, a few receptions per game would not be out of the question.

The question that you have is what makes him an intriguing add as the potential is there. It's one of those moves you make in advance and wait and see.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Did jones? Y’all are delusional. Worst preseason rb of all time against backups but he’s gonna ball out against starters? Oh ok makes sense 

He could suck. But he was also playing with back-ups.... you see the holes he had to work with? No me neither.

Again no one is saying he's going to bust out. But if you have a spot on your bench and looking for a sleeper this guy can be picked up free in some leagues.  Won't cost you anything....

7 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

He could suck. But he was also playing with back-ups.... you see the holes he had to work with? No me neither.

Again no one is saying he's going to bust out. But if you have a spot on your bench and looking for a sleeper this guy can be picked up free in some leagues.  Won't cost you anything....

Most sleepers that cost nothing cost nothing for a reason. He is an add in only the deeper leagues until the coaching staff makes a move. And he should already be rostered in those deeper leagues.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

This team is dumb enough to keep and start Jameis Winston so anything is possible.

In reference to what?