Rolling Thunder

Ronald Jones 2018 Outlook

Just now, cheezor42 said:

Does anyone know if he's the projected starter?  Is there a significant chance Barber starts and continues holding the reigns against a terrible ATL offense?

No one knows anything other than speculation and what we’ve seen so far from this backfield. 

Only things we know are:

-Barber has not been producing to start the season, regardless of defensive opposition. TB needs to establish a spark in the run game

-Jones was drafted high. He is definitely more talented than Barber and any other RB on the roster. Rumors/concerns he was not involved early included him not being able to pickup the playbook/adjust to an NFL offense as fast as they had hoped.

-People are expecting him to get the nod, or majority of carries starting this week due to the above two points. Kind of a “well it can’t get any worse than it is so why not try out something new” approach

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

LOL..

This whole discussion continues to go around and around in circles.

We who own Ronald Jones:

- Know that he may not be the starter in week 6

- Are perfectly fine with him not starting week 6

- Anticipate him passing Barber sooner than later. Hell, as soon as the 2nd half of game 6. See Fitzgerald thread week 4.

- Picked him up as a speculative move to avoid spending FAAB later and/or not being in position on the wire to get him. The days of waiting for a player to explode before you pick him up is 2015 thinking. Those days are long gone. You have to anticipate moves.

- Can drop him at any point for FREE

- Know that he is the best back on the team and the cream rises to the top eventually in most cases.

All I was doing was very simple. 

The poster said, "lemme ask ya this ... if Barber was the answer, why was RoJo snagged in the second round?"

That's a question. Presumably a question wants an answer. 

I answered the question by pointing out Nick Chubb was also drafted in the 2nd round. I guess if Carlos Hyde was the answer why was Nick Chubb selected in the 2nd round?

The exact same logic applies. 

Then people starting bringing up all this extra irrelevant stuff like, "Barber ain't Hyde bro" - which has nothing to do with the underlying logic behind selecting a RB in the 2nd round if you're not going to play him immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If Barber is indeed inactive this week, he never really got a fair shot to be the starter.  TB may as well have started Jones starting from week 1 if they didn't really want Barber to be the starter which appears to be the case.

8 minutes ago, HTM said:

The poster said, "lemme ask ya this ... if Barber was the answer, why was RoJo snagged in the second round?"

I answered the question by pointing out Nick Chubb was also drafted in the 2nd round. I guess if Carlos Hyde was the answer why was Nick Chubb selected in the 2nd round?

Then people starting bringing up all this extra irrelevant stuff like, "Barber ain't Hyde bro" - which has nothing to do with the underlying logic behind selecting a RB in the 2nd round if you're not going to play him immediately. 

Peyton ain’t Carlos bro.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Peyton Barber is trash. It is an insult to even have Barber and Hyde in the same sentence. We knew he was trash even before the season began. The Bucs selected a back because he is absolute trash. The Browns selected Chubb to add depth to their stable. The Bucs added RoJo to be the starter from day one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, dsaints said:

It's really the oline's fault. They get no push and the backs get tackled behind the LOS quite often. 

Partly, but that's just an excuse. A good running back can get some yardage regardless. Saquon is behind a bad O-line. 4.3 YPC behind an awful O-Line.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HTM said:

Teams draft differently, it's not all that uncommon for a team to fill a need short term in free agency, and then draft a player at the same position that falls to them unexpectedly.

The Browns needed a lot of running back help.  Crowell left, and Duke Johnson was on the last year of his contract going into the draft. The Browns signed Hyde, but they have an out after this year.  They were probably planning on picking Barkley at 4 if he slipped.  

The Bucs needed running back help too, so they took RoJo.  

You're not playing a player if they don't know the playbook.  It doesn't matter where they were drafted.

15 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Partly, but that's just an excuse. A good running back can get some yardage regardless. Saquon is behind a bad O-line. 4.3 YPC behind an awful O-Line.

Hi my name is 2016 Trent Richa..I mean Todd Gurley 

Just now, JSA2422 said:

Hi my name is 2016 Trent Richa..I mean Todd Gurley 

Todd Gurleys 2016 struggles can 100% be blamed on he who we don’t speak of...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Peyton Barber is trash. It is an insult to even have Barber and Hyde in the same sentence. We knew he was trash even before the season began. The Bucs selected a back because he is absolute trash. The Browns selected Chubb to add depth to their stable. The Bucs added RoJo to be the starter from day one.

I think that you're trash.  Nobody is saying that Barber is a star (hasn't really been given much of a chance this year to show what he is) but he is a solid rb which he showed at the end of last year and in the preseason this year.  He played the 4 toughest run defenses to begin the year so I think he deserves a pass not only for that fact but also because of how he has been used.  Jones is the one who is trash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

I think that you're trash.  Nobody is saying that Barber is a star (hasn't really been given much of a chance this year to show what he is) but he is a solid rb which he showed at the end of last year and in the preseason this year.  He played the 4 toughest run defenses to begin the year so I think he deserves a pass not only for that fact but also because of how he has been used.  Jones is the one who is trash.

I am trash. I never disputed that. I'm actually a fan and I agree that I'm trash and Barber is trash. Rojo is trash so far too, but his trash doesn't stink yet.

• Haha 5

If Jones had been playing instead of Barber he would have 50 carries for 40 yards on the season.

4 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I am trash. I never disputed that. I'm actually a fan and I agree that I'm trash and Barber is trash. Rojo is trash so far too, but his trash doesn't stink yet.

Maybe it was harsh to call you trash but if you've seen tape of how Barber has been used this season, you wouldn't call him trash.  He has been handed the ball at least 8-10 times with defenders already in the backfield without even a chance to flinch much less make a move forward.  I'm not likening Barber to someone like Walter Payton or Barry Sanders at all but you just can't refer to him as trash because of the way he has been used this year and the defenses that he has faced.  He could very well end up being trash when all is said and done but he deserves a fair shot the way he was given one toward the end of last season.  Coming out of the bye, maybe they'll go back to the way it was when Winston and Barber were in there together at the end of last season with Jones mixed in.

Edited by sjm76

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Maybe it was harsh to call you trash but if you've seen tape of how Barber has been used this season, you wouldn't call him trash.  He has been handed the ball at least 8-10 times with defenders already in the backfield without even a chance to flinch much less make a move forward.  I'm not likening Barber to someone like Walter Payton or Barry Sanders at all but you just can't refer to him as trash because of the way he has been used this year and the defenses that he has faced.

Definitely bigger battles to be fought than one over Peyton Barber. Barber had his shot and didn't get the job done. We can make excuses for him but the simple fact is that he is on a shorter leash than guys like Collins, Drake, McCoy experiencing similar situations. This is why people are so big on Jones.

As for Barber not excelling in the situation that he was in, we said the same thing about Miller and Blue proved otherwise. That's just one example. Blue could potentially be an every week RB2 in that offense where Miller is barely start/roster worthy.

6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

If Jones had been playing instead of Barber he would have 50 carries for 40 yards on the season.

I second this.  Toward the end of the season I can see TB giving Jones the majority of the carries if they fall out of contention for the playoffs but until then, it will likely be a committee until/if one guy separates himself.  But so far, it looks like Barber has mainly put in positions to fail/hasn't been given much of a chance to average more than 2-3 ypc.

Just now, nonstopfan said:

Definitely bigger battles to be fought than one over Peyton Barber. Barber had his shot and didn't get the job done. We can make excuses for him but the simple fact is that he is on a shorter leash than guys like Collins, Drake, McCoy experiencing similar situations. This is why people are so big on Jones.

As for Barber not excelling in the situation that he was in, we said the same thing about Miller and Blue proved otherwise. That's just one example. Blue could potentially be an every week RB2 in that offense where Miller is barely start/roster worthy.

You can't just look at yards per carry average and say that he hasn't gotten the job done.  That's what you and it seems too many so-called "experts" are doing.  You need to read between the lines and do a bit of research.  Barber has had some good runs this year and his ypc average has been deflated for factors out of his control.  Poor blocking, the fact that the Bucs faced the best 4 run defenses the first 4 games, he has been given the ball several times with defenders already surrounding him in the backfield etc.

8 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

You can't just look at yards per carry average and say that he hasn't gotten the job done.  That's what you and it seems too many so-called "experts" are doing.  You need to read between the lines and do a bit of research.  Barber has had some good runs this year and his ypc average has been deflated for factors out of his control.  Poor blocking, the fact that the Bucs faced the best 4 run defenses the first 4 games, he has been given the ball several times with defenders already surrounding him in the backfield etc.

I am by no means a huge fan of rojo and agree that ypc doesn’t tell the entire story. I still think you are grossly overrating Barber’s abilities.

4 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Damn. Barber must be a big part of your team the way you're defending him.

It might not be fair that Barber will be losing carries to Jones after 4 games but the NFL isn't fair. Life isn't fair.

3 hours ago, raidaz18 said:

These scouting reports are meaningless, how many bust top 10 picks have glowing scouting reports? All of them. Means nothing.

"He's the real deal. He's really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3-pointer, plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5. What sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent, but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. He's got a great frame. He'll definitely get stronger. He'll have no problem holding his own in the post."

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TheAuthorityHere said:

Damn. Barber must be a big part of your team the way you're defending him.

It might not be fair that Barber will be losing carries to Jones after 4 games but the NFL isn't fair. Life isn't fair.

All I can say is that if Jones is named the starter for this week, let's see if he is put in positions to fail like Barber has been.  If he isn't, that means that the coaching staff never wanted Barber to be the starter for whatever reason to begin with.  Not saying that Barber is a star but he is a very solid rb as he showed late last year if given a fair chance to show what he can do.  He can be a solid starting rb.

1 hour ago, Lockout King said:

Let's just hope the O-line do their job this week.  Not like a Walmart Black Friday event.

Capture.JPG

That is the bears

14 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

"He's the real deal. He's really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3-pointer, plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5. What sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent, but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. He's got a great frame. He'll definitely get stronger. He'll have no problem holding his own in the post."

This is a Ronald Jones thread, not a Darko Milicic NBA thread.  lol.

• Haha 1