Rolling Thunder

Ronald Jones 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, hard1 said:

That is the bears

Yep, that's one of the plays that I was referring to.  Fitzpatrick handed Barber the ball basically as the defender was already tackling him.

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

This is a Ronald Jones thread, not a Darko Milicic NBA thread.  lol.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

All I can say is that if Jones is named the starter for this week, let's see if he is put in positions to fail like Barber has been.  If he isn't, that means that the coaching staff never wanted Barber to be the starter for whatever reason to begin with.  Not saying that Barber is a star but he is a very solid rb as he showed late last year if given a fair chance to show what he can do.  He can be a solid starting rb.

So basically if Ronald comes out and has a good game you’ll blame it on the fact that the coaching staff never wanted Barber to do well when he ran the ball...??? Sounds like you’re setting yourself up for a scapegoat, nice play 

• Like 1

Just now, MyDawgggg said:

So basically if Ronald comes out and has a good game you’ll blame it on the fact that the coaching staff never wanted Barber to do well when he ran the ball...??? Sounds like you’re setting yourself up for a scapegoat, nice play 

No.  If Jones is named the starter and has a good game then I'd say that he had a good game.  But look at the run defense that he is facing (Atlanta is far from one of the top run defenses like Barber faced) and let's see if TB stops giving Jones the ball after he breaks a few big gains like they did with Barber.  Also, let's see how many times they hand Jones the ball with defenders already on him in the backfield like they did with Barber.

3 hours ago, seanismorris said:

The CBS “experts” are high on R. Jones.

In the best matchup he’s going to see this year...

Jones is ranked:

44th

44th

47th

I don’t go on the “experts” but come-on people, they don’t bother ranking people after 48.

Moving on...  people are probably reading this and thinking “So you’re saying with Jones there is a chance?”

Since you seem to have a lot of stock in his rankings, Heath Cummings also stated this today:

3 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Since you seem to have a lot of stock in his rankings, Heath Cummings also stated this today:

It could be Barber's coming out party, too, if they actually give him a fair shot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

“It could be Barber’s coming out party too”.

I wanted to insert the JK Simmons Spider-Man laughing gif, but I’m still a noob here. :/

Edited by TennisDude

I'm surprised that we still haven't heard who the starter will be for this week's game and it's already Thursday afternoon.

Edited by sjm76

28 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

No.  If Jones is named the starter and has a good game then I'd say that he had a good game.  But look at the run defense that he is facing (Atlanta is far from one of the top run defenses like Barber faced) and let's see if TB stops giving Jones the ball after he breaks a few big gains like they did with Barber.  Also, let's see how many times they hand Jones the ball with defenders already on him in the backfield like they did with Barber.

That's what they did all preseason with jones... they need to get him outside use traps and misdirection... not draw plays up the gut...

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I'm just still surprised that we still haven't heard who the starter will be for this week's game and it's already Thursday afternoon.

The Bucs have zero incentive to disclose that info at this time. I wouldn't expect it until maybe just before kickoff. 

In week 4, we didn't even know if Jones would be active until about 11AM on Sunday so no reason to think they would be forthcoming with who the starting RB will be. NFL Head coaches don't like giving their opponent info that makes it easier to gameplan. 

2 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

The Bucs have zero incentive to disclose that info at this time. I wouldn't expect it until maybe just before kickoff. 

In week 4, we didn't even know if Jones would be active until about 11AM on Sunday so no reason to think they would be forthcoming with who the starting RB will be. NFL Head coaches don't like giving their opponent info that makes it easier to gameplan. 

Right now would it really make a difference if the Falcons know whether Barber or Jones are starting?  Both are averaging 3 yards per carry.  It isn't like the defensive game plan would be drastically different.

Hard to read too much into this. This is a brand they’re trying to promote after all. Not like they’re gonna have a headline saying “Jameis Winston getting reps with Peyton Barber! Yeah go Bucs!”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Power-O said:

im lost @ what to do.... i hate this....i can only keep jones or barber... AHH!!! lol

First off, why do you have both lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oresteszero said:

First off, why do you have both lol

i dont but barber on the waiver and im like i have a feeling barber still has lead role...i need a guy for next week when lynch is on a bye lol

18 minutes ago, Power-O said:

i dont but barber on the waiver and im like i have a feeling barber still has lead role...i need a guy for next week when lynch is on a bye lol

Barber is not even worth rostering at this point.

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Winston is the biggest idiot in the leeg ... "JabooWins"? good lawdy lawd - absolute foo'

Leeg 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, sjm76 said:

Right now would it really make a difference if the Falcons know whether Barber or Jones are starting?  Both are averaging 3 yards per carry.  It isn't like the defensive game plan would be drastically different.

Probably not, but why would an NFL coach give away any info if they don't have to? So we can set our fantasy lineups?

Again, there were no reports of Jones being active last week until right before the game. 

The best advice I can give anyone here is to completely ignore this situation and start no one in this backfield this week.

Whoever starts is the "nominal starter" - makes not a damn of difference. We need to see who - if anyone - actually produces. Just wait and see. I do expect to see the running game be better, but that's only because it couldn't be worse. It's been nonexistent through 4 weeks. What kind of impact Winston - who has been thoroughly outplayed by journeyman Fitzpatrick (who set NFL records in his 4-game stint) - will have on the running game is a very open question that simply requires watching this game against a horrible defense to determine.

I've been accused in this thread of owning Barber, which is patently false if you'd actually bothered to read the thread - the whole thread. In any event - I don't care if Koetter said he's slating Jones for 40 carries Sunday - he's on my bench.

You are a very desperate man to start any RB for the Bucs until they've produced something - anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Power-O said:

The real question for me is who is the lead back in the 2nd  half stretch.  i believe it will be Ronald Jones, hopefully that will mean something then.

• Haha 1