the_dying_dream

Kerryon Johnson 2018 Outlook

This whole ease RBs back into the workload gets repeated nonstop but I don't think it's a thing. 

Ingram out from suspension, comes back and makes some Kamara owners nervous because he got so many touches.

Fournette out, comes back to 30 touches.

Mixon, hit the ground running after a few weeks off.

Can we put the 'ease back into it" narrative to rest? If he isn't healthy, they wont play him. When he is healthy, they'll play him like normal because he is normal.

8 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

This whole ease RBs back into the workload gets repeated nonstop but I don't think it's a thing. 

Ingram out from suspension, comes back and makes some Kamara owners nervous because he got so many touches.

Can we put the 'ease back into it" narrative to rest? If he isn't healthy, they wont play him. When he is healthy, they'll play him like normal because he is normal.

Eh, it’s a little different with those 3 cases than it would be with Kerryon.

1) Ingram wasn’t even hurt, no reason to ease him back in

2) Fournette was coming off a bye week, in which all indications were that he almost played prior... plus they still had outside playoff hopes

3) Mixon’s injury happened early in the season, team was off to a good start, and his primary backup (Gio) was hurt

Kerryon is a rookie who in all likelihood will  be coming back to a team that is eliminated from the playoffs, and was in a timeshare the majority of the season.  Those other guys are all unquestioned workhorses, with the exception of Ingram, who is in a unique (1a/1b) situation.

I could definitely see the Lions limiting his workload a bit coming off a knee injury in a meaningless game.  If he seemed ok, second week would likely be back to workhorse level touches.

4 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Eh, it’s a little different with those 3 cases than it would be with Kerryon.

1) Ingram wasn’t even hurt, no reason to ease him back in

2) Fournette was coming off a bye week, in which all indications were that he almost played prior... plus they still had outside playoff hopes

3) Mixon’s injury happened early in the season, team was off to a good start, and his primary backup (Gio) was hurt

Kerryon is a rookie who in all likelihood will  be coming back to a team that is eliminated from the playoffs, and was in a timeshare the majority of the season.  Those other guys are all unquestioned workhorses, with the exception of Ingram, who is in a unique (1a/1b) situation.

I could definitely see the Lions limiting his workload a bit coming off a knee injury in a meaningless game.  If he seemed ok, second week would likely be back to workhorse level touches.

And yet, in all 3 scenarios nervous owners sat those players and missed production. If they are healthy they play.

12 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

And yet, in all 3 scenarios nervous owners sat those players and missed production. If they are healthy they play.

I suppose some owners did, but I’m a Mixon and Ingram owner, and I started both of them coming off their absences.  Being a Kerryon owner as well, I would be more hesitant to do so.  Of course it always depends on your other options, and if you feel the risk is with the reward.

2 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I suppose some owners did, but I’m a Mixon and Ingram owner, and I started both of them coming off their absences.  Being a Kerryon owner as well, I would be more hesitant to do so.  Of course it always depends on your other options, and if you feel the risk is with the reward.

Marlon Mack, Sony Michel. 

It's a myth that creeped over from decoy WRs maybe. 

25 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

Marlon Mack, Sony Michel. 

It's a myth that creeped over from decoy WRs maybe. 

I think Dalvin Cook’s primetime dud coming off his first injury hiatus earlier this year probably has more to do with it than the decoy WR idea.

1 hour ago, Bigfische said:

I think this fear is often overblown but I think you need to take each situation individually. The first time Fournette came back he went out again and due to the nature of his injury there was considerable fear of reinjury and uncertainty how the recent addition of Hyde would play into things. When he came back the 2nd time Jaguars season was already on the ropes so since he seemed to be holding up fine they rode him.

Lion's season will likely be effectively over once he comes back so there is little reason to rush him back prematurely and instead make sure they knee fully heals and isn't something that will cloud his promising future. Therefore I agree that once he comes back he'll probably be fine since there is no point in really easing him back in prematurely.

Anyone think of dropping him for DST/Handcuff stashes? He won't be back till wk14 I think (out wk12  for sure)

Just now, maxim730 said:

Anyone think of dropping him for DST/Handcuff stashes? He won't be back till wk14 I think (out wk12  for sure)

That is going to be extremely team dependent. If you are do or die each week, do what you have to. If you're going to make the playoffs, I don't see how you can drop him. 

Why do I get the feeling that this is still all a ruse from the coach to get Legarrette Blount more involved

• Haha 1

Think we're seeing why the news came out that Detroit was interested in trading for Penny after Seattle drafted him, Penny didn't have any durability issues in college and I recall hearing that a big knock on Kerryon was his injury history.  Kerryon is a very talented player but every week I watch him (particularly since Detroit's week 6 bye when he started getting over 50% snaps) it seems like he's getting hurt or re-aggravating something.  Think he might be best suited to a slightly bigger role than he had prior to the bye where he was sitting around 45% snaps, so somewhere in the 45-55% range and draft a solid complementary back to go along with him.  It's fun to think what such an effective player can do with more touches, but not everyone's body or running style is suited for that kind of workload.  I hope I'm wrong and he's just been unlucky with injuries, even if he's managed to play through most of them so far.  Need him to come back strong down the stretch!

13 hours ago, Bigfische said:

No way I even considered sitting Ingram in his first game back.

I couldn't wait to start him and clearly Payton couldn't wait to feature his 'fresher' back as well.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:00 PM, wideopen21 said:

Sorry, but no one cares about the Lions or their future super bowl aspirations in this thread. I'm sure there is a Detroit Lions forum where you can dream about that sort of stuff with other Lions fans. 

I guess you didn’t pick up on the heavy dose of sarcasm and the fact it was a joke. Here’s some insight for you:

blount has lost a step and the lions cutting Abdullah helps kerryon even more. If he can get right in a week or 2, we are looking at a low end RB1, especially with Tate traded and Jones hurt. When they’re emphasizing the run, they’ve won. Barring gamescript, because of he reasons above, he will be a near lock for 17-20 touches a game. Dudes a stud, offers keeper value, and we need to hope he bounces back. And soon.

Edited by Motown_Magic
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 5:53 PM, maxim730 said:

Unless you're in an unusual league this is a ridiculous thought. You should at least be able to trade him

3 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Ruled out. Yahoo really should make him Out already 

ESPN is doing that same thing and it's really annoying I can't put him in the IR slot yet so I can pick up another player tonight during our waiver period.

Hints are he will miss multiple weeks, so holding him in IR is fine(thats what I will do for now) but I fear this season is basically lost now for him, I just cannot trust this guy rest of the way this year even if/when he returns....

It is frustrating. but I think yahoo just waits until they are officially OUT on the injury report. 

Is there any other fantasy websites that already have him as OUT?

37 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

When will that final injury report come out? Today or before the game tomorrow?

Tomorrow 

For what it's worth, the site that was the first to report OJ Howard had a significant injury (before the IR news obviously) speculated Kerryon would be out a month.