• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
tootallball

Dante Pettis 2018 Outlook

2nd round pick of the 49ers. I really like this guy. Elite top end speed and can line up everywhere. Garcon hasn't been the model of perfect health and the Niners traded up to grab this guy. Also an elite punt returner with 9 return touchdowns in college. 

I'm not sure he has much redraft value but I like snagging him in the mid to late 2nd round in rookie drafts. 

Is there a redundancy with him and Goodwin?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, kdko said:

Is there a redundancy with him and Goodwin?

From Shanahan's own mouth, they targeted Pettis because they believe he has the potential to eventually play all 3 WR positions.  This piece does a good job discussing how Pettis is likely to be used:

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-still-envision-important-role-trent-taylor-after-drafting-dante-pettis

Of all the comments I have heard Shanahan make, this is the most revealing:

“I think we can use him sometimes similar to how we use Marquise, if need be,” Shanahan said. “I think we can use him inside, similar to how we use Trent, if need be. And I think he has the hands and the toughness, and we can use him similar to Pierre. In the meantime, he’s going to be a very good punt returner, too. He can help you on all four downs.”

I interpret all of this to mean that Pettis isn't truly displacing Goodwin, Garcon or Taylor right away.  He'll be counted on to upgrade STs right away, and to learn from the vets how to play all three WR positions.  If all goes well, beginning in 2019, Pettis could assume a big role at one of the WR positions.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, dogfightgiggle said:

He may be this year's Tyreek Hill.  I'm coming around.

He may be this year’s Laquon Treadwell.  I’m staying away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

He may be this year’s Laquon Treadwell.  I’m staying away.

Laquon Treadwell was a top 5 rookie draft pick when he came out. There's no way Pettis could possibly be that big of a bust. 

And quite frankly, Treadwell didn't have Pettis' theoretical upside either. 

Edited by Mek Daddy
  • Like 1

49ers reporter Cam Inman had this to say about Pettis: https://soundcloud.com/49erswebzone/ep-57-cam-inman-gives-al-and-zain-the-scoop-on-49ers-training-camp

This guy is super talented. The question is: Who's spot will he eventually take? My answer is Pierre Garcon. I don't know if it's this year, I doubt it. Outside possibility of it. But he's not necessarily going to take over Trent Taylor's spot at slot. Pettis at some point is going to be a starting WR because he looks so talented...........They use him more on the outside than slot. Seems like he's kind of playing Garcon's position........ You could tell he has some great athleticism. 

Guessing unless injuries hit this year, he's more likely to be a possible breakout candidate in 2019 depending on what the roster looks like then.

• Like 1

If he can line up anywhere, he can basically be a replacement for any of the starting WR's if they get injured.  The likelihood of one of three WR's getting hurt at some point during the year is quite high.  And if he gets his foot in the door and excels then it isn't like any of the incumbents are big enough names or contracts to not bench.  

Posted (edited)

Did nothing for me when I watched him in college.   Not excited.   I will pass on him like I did Austin Pettis.

Edited by Sternes

I think @Rolling Thunder nailed it: special teams, and an internship behind Goodwin and Garcon with the occasional target. Could be fun to watch as a fan, but not as fantasy owner.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, Boudewijn said:

I think @Rolling Thunder nailed it: special teams, and an internship behind Goodwin and Garcon with the occasional target. Could be fun to watch as a fan, but not as fantasy owner.

...unless your league rewards for special teams yardage. I can see him pushing his way into 3WR sets above Trent Taylor. Just about every single day at 49ers training camp Pettis has posted a highlight-reel catch or run. He's been a delight to watch (and he did something for me when I watched him in college). 

From a dynasty perspective, this guy is going late-2nd, early-3rd, which is way too low in my opinion. He has legs like a gazelle - seriously watch him run, it's crazy. An early 2nd round player they tragetted and traded up for, in a Shanahan offense for years to come, attached to Jimmy G - I don't understand how he's going after the likes of Kirk, Washington, or Gallup. 

I don't expect much this year but he's one of the guys I'm eyeing as a late keeper in my league with breakout potential next year

6 hours ago, DS1419 said:

He has legs like a gazelle

https://youtu.be/cXt3NZpsBjM

When you said that I expected a guy who would probably break under heavy NFL tackling. It's not that bad, but he might do good to gain a bit of muscle - it can be brutal in the pros.

https://www.49ers.com/news/10-observations-from-49ers-practice-against-texans-aug-16?sf195704011=1

Dante Pettis had another strong day. The rookie seemed to be open the entire practice. Pettis dominated 1-on-1s and had a long catch down the left sideline from Jimmy Garoppolo during team drills. He also beat the Texans secondary deep down the middle of the field but was underthrown by C.J. Beathard.

In a cool moment after practice, DeAndre Hopkins approached Pettis and gave him some love as they shook hands.

"I like your game, man. I like your game," Hopkins said.

Pettis was understandably pumped, given that the two hadn't chatted up till that point and they spent practice on separate fields.

• Thanks 2

https://www.49ers.com/news/fann-mail-are-49ers-lineup-changes-on-the-horizon

I’m not sure it qualifies as “stealing snaps,” but it appears evident that Dante Pettis will have a role on offense immediately. Pettis has position versatility which will allow him to spell Pierre Garçon, Marquise Goodwin and Trent Taylor when needed. Shanahan is likely to have a specific plan in mind for the rookie wideout. On special teams, Fred Warner, D.J. Reed and Tarvarius Moore should be impact players out of the gate as well. Jullian Taylor is another name to watch, but more on him in a second.

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2018/8/20/17757618/jimmy-garoppolo-film-breakdown-49ers-texans-preseason

"2nd and 2, San Francisco 30-yard line

Garoppolo fakes a handoff to the running back and instead gives the ball to a charging Dante Pettis for a sweep."

"1st and 35, Houston 37-yard line

Garoppolo takes a shotgun snap and waits a few moments before throwing a deep strike that hits Dante Pettis’ hands and bounces into the arms of Johnson Bademosi. Garoppolo’s night is done."

Results weren't great obviously, but got a look on both of Jimmy G's drives, a jet sweep and a deep shot.  I like how this is shaping up.

5 targets / finished with 2-61-1.

Goodwin injured during the game definitely makes his role going forward a little cloudy but this kid can ball. Rewatching some of his snaps, he created great separation. I see some Thielen in his game.

Not rushing to add him in most spots but worth monitoring for now.

• Like 2

Def worth monitoring if Goodwin misses he is a start against the putrid detroit kitty cats defense

Psyched to see what he will do in this offense. Clearly Jimmy likes him

Aside from the thigh bruise, keep in mind Goodwin has a long history of concussions. Could come into play later in the season

So I'm a big Matt Waldman fan when it comes to draft analysis, and he is a giant, giant Dante Pettis fan.

And I can see why. His route running ability is veteran savvy already. Because of that, he's more accelerated than other rookie WR who might have more physical traits (DJ Moore, Sutton, etc). He fits perfectly in that offense and seems to have developed a nice rapport with Jimmy G pretty early on. 

Temper expectations just because he is a rookie WR, but I can see him having a Diggs like impact rookie season. 

Here's the route that stuck out to me on Sunday going against fellow rookie Mike Hughes in the slot:

Pettis shake and bake post corner

• Like 2

Snagged him off waivers this morning and keeping an eye on the situation.  Call me crazy but if Goodwin declared out, going to slot him in over Hogan.

Kid looks like the real deal and could get immediate opportunity.

• Like 1