• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  

5 hours ago, Gohawks said:

McKinnon is JAG at best. He’s on a good team situation wise but he isn’t very good which means that RB1 finish isn’t likely. We’ve seen mediocrity at the position excel in fantasy before but I doubt he will be another case of that.

LOL

He was a top-15 RB in a part-time role last year, and was an RB1 the last 6 weeks of 2016.

Not. A. JAG.

Haters. Butthurt.

McKinnon is JAG at best. He’s on a good team situation wise but he isn’t very good which means that RB1 finish isn’t likely. We’ve seen mediocrity at the position excel in fantasy before but I doubt he will be another case of that.

My recollection is that McKinnon tested out at an extremely high SPARQ score, like 96 or something.  Maybe the previous Viking OCs did not use him too well, preferring Asiata for some unfathomable reason.  McKinnon looked great last year after Dalvin Cook went down.  And McKinnon is the handpicked choice of his new CS.  The JAG anysis is going to look pretty shortsighted after 2018 is in the books, I predict.

Not sure if JAG is fair, but I definitely see Lamar Miller 2.0. I'm guessing he'll be a middle to high end RB2 that will be drafted as a RB1 in many standard leagues. In PPR, he'll be a little better. 

9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Every list seems to be loving on McCaffrey and forgetting all about CJ Anderson.  I hope that continues right up until fantasy draft day.

CJ Anderson?  Thats just Jstew Vol II.

McCaff's role is very defined and safe.

1 minute ago, Experienced Rookie said:

I think you are missing the point.  Most people agree that MaC's role is safe and he will be very good in ppr again. But CJA will get carries.  I will be looking to get CJA cheap this year and take advantage of his usage in the first half of the season. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Who are you targeting as better values then? 

A lot of rookies at this point but most of their adp's will change.  I like Devonta Freeman, Marlon Mack, and Aaron Jones as good value.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

My recollection is that McKinnon tested out at an extremely high SPARQ score, like 96 or something.  Maybe the previous Viking OCs did not use him too well, preferring Asiata for some unfathomable reason.  McKinnon looked great last year after Dalvin Cook went down.  And McKinnon is the handpicked choice of his new CS.  The JAG anysis is going to look pretty shortsighted after 2018 is in the books, I predict.

Hand picked out of a group of meh free agents.  "We like him more than Frank Gore, CJ Anderson, Jstew, and Demarco Murray" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

This dude is junk.  He's had nearly 500 career carries, and has a 4.0 average.  He's already 26, and the best thing he's done is have a high SPARQ score.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I think you are missing the point.  Most people agree that MaC's role is safe and he will be very good in ppr again. But CJA will get carries.  I will be looking to get CJA cheap this year and take advantage of his usage in the first half of the season. 

CJA will likely never help you win so much as a game, outside of maybe a bye week fill in.  He's going to sit on your bench, scoring 8 points per week.  Then he will randomly go off for 19 one game, inspire confidence, earn a start, and give you 8 points again.  

CJA has no real value unless McCaff is out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

If by JStew Vol II you mean Aliens from 1986, a sequal that was better than the original.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

A lot of rookies at this point but most of their adp's will change.  I like Devonta Freeman, Marlon Mack, and Aaron Jones as good value.

If Marlon Mack can get himself off of the shelf...

19 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

CJA will likely never help you win so much as a game, outside of maybe a bye week fill in.  He's going to sit on your bench, scoring 8 points per week.  Then he will randomly go off for 19 one game, inspire confidence, earn a start, and give you 8 points again.  

CJA has no real value unless McCaff is out.

If you don't like your RB3/flex being a threat to score multiple TDs each Sunday, I would definitely shop elsewhere.

Jonathan Stewart had an insane amount of red zone carries last year.  Betcha CJ has more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

LOL

He was a top-15 RB in a part-time role last year, and was an RB1 the last 6 weeks of 2016.

Not. A. JAG.

Haters. Butthurt.

Haters? Why would I hate him? Is not liking a player automatically a result of hate? Even more specifically, what purpose do I have to be butthurt? 

Anyways, he is a career 4.0 YPC guy. Murray is a total JAG and he still managed to out produce McKinnon in terms of YPC. So yeah, you're JAG when you can barely muster 4.0 YPC while not even being the primary back most of the time. 

14 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you don't like your RB3/flex being a threat to score multiple TDs each Sunday, I would definitely shop elsewhere.

Jonathan Stewart had an insane amount of red zone carries last year.  Betcha CJ has more.

I might like CJ Anderson a little bit if any of the following weren't true:

1.  Cam Newton is the first, second, and third choice on the 2 yard line.

2.  There are hardly any receptions up for grabs here.  15 catches.  Not much more.

3.  CJ Anderson is still CJ Anderson.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Hand picked out of a group of meh free agents.  "We like him more than Frank Gore, CJ Anderson, Jstew, and Demarco Murray" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

This dude is junk.  He's had nearly 500 career carries, and has a 4.0 average.  He's already 26, and the best thing he's done is have a high SPARQ score.  

Fair.  

I too have reservations about Mck...he’s had shots at the lead role and hasn’t broken through.  

but...

It matters what SF is saying.   7+ M yearly says “we have big plans for you in a dynamic offense.”   And the comments out of OTAs have been sparkling.  They plan on giving him everything he can handle.   300 touches doesn’t seem out of the question. 

Def nab whoever the proper cuff is later.  I have a theory that Joe Williams is getting the tough love treatment and will ultimately be the guy you want to pair with Jerick.  But let’s see what camp and preseason brings. The steady hand of   @Rolling Thunder will be much appreciated.  

Right now I’ve got Mckinnon in the late second/ early third around Evans, Howard, Kelce.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Fair.  

I too have reservations about Mck...he’s had shots at the lead role and hasn’t broken through.  

but...

It matters what SF is saying.   7+ M yearly says “we have big plans for you in a dynamic offense.”   And the comments out of OTAs have been sparkling.  They plan on giving him everything he can handle.   300 touches doesn’t seem out of the question. 

Def nab whoever the proper cuff is later.  I have a theory that Joe Williams is getting the tough love treatment and will ultimately be the guy you want to pair with Jerick.  But let’s see what camp and preseason brings. The steady hand of   @Rolling Thunder will be much appreciated.  

Right now I’ve got Mckinnon in the late second/ early third around Evans, Howard, Kelce.  

Call me when offseason words translate to fantasy points.  Ill get in my time machine, go back to 2013, and take CJ Spiller #1 overall.  Championship.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Call me when offseason words translate to fantasy points.  Ill get in my time machine, go back to 2013, and take CJ Spiller #1 overall.  Championship.  

Translated in 2016 for Michael Thomas owners.

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

Translated in 2016 for Michael Thomas owners.

Michael Thomas is actually good. 

Plays for one of the best offenses in football. His QB is a HOFer. 

Didnt have 4 seasons of trash output, only to have people suddenly expecting him to be a superstar in year 5 because of coach speak. 

Other than that though, exactly the same. 

🙄

2 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Ohhhh!!!  Mic drop he said CJ spiller!! 

That settles it. 

9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Ohhhh!!!  Mic drop he said CJ spiller!! 

That settles it. 

Ill take players who have actually performed at a high level on the field over guys that coaches sing the praises of in May 100% of the time.  

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Haters? Why would I hate him? Is not liking a player automatically a result of hate? Even more specifically, what purpose do I have to be butthurt? 

Dunno.  That statement usually comes from nuthuggers when you diss their favorite player.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

In fairness to CJ Spiller he had 1700 yards from scrimmage and 8 touchdowns in 2012. You'd need to combine McKinnon's last 2 seasons to get those stats. 

That being said I'm a bit gun-shy on McKinnon as well. As I've said before I'm not sure he's got the make-up to be a workhorse back in the NFL. Looks like he might get the opportunity to play the Devonta Freeman role in a Shanahan offense which is interesting as a late 2nd, early 3rd rd pick even though he's not nearly as talented as Freeman.

The problem is if he's entrenched in the No 1 role come game 3 of the pre-season and plays well you're going to have to pay an RB1 price for him most likely given the hype we're already seeing. 

Edited by P@ckersFan

Posted (edited)

I like McKinnon’s value where it is as a late 2nd; early 3rd. He’s going to be the #1 back in Shanahan’s offense who has a good rep with producing solid fantasy RB’s. They have an above average QB/Offense, his handcuff can be had at the end of the draft who would takeover if McKinnon got injured, and they paid him top money which gives some insurance he will be used as a 3 down back. 

In my fantasy experience these are key factors that make for a very safe bet that he will produce as an RB1 if he stays healthy. People are worried about if he is actually a 3 down back after one solid year (rightfully so), I watched a good amount of Minny games last year after Cook went down and McKinnon passed my eye test (not saying my eye test matters). He is going to have a better offensive line/QB, he is going to get 50+ targets easily, he’s going to get redzone opportunity, he’s going to thrive in my opinion. 

Edited by Breesus

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Michael Thomas is actually good. 

Plays for one of the best offenses in football. His QB is a HOFer. 

Didnt have 4 seasons of trash output, only to have people suddenly expecting him to be a superstar in year 5 because of coach speak. 

Other than that though, exactly the same. 

🙄

I really hope lots of folks think like this, and are vocal about it.

I had some very satisfying successes last off-season against similar headwinds (e.g., Gurley).  This one is going feel especially good though because it involves the team I happen to follow.

By all means naysayers, please, please carry on.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I really hope lots of folks think like this, and are vocal about it.

I had some very satisfying successes last off-season against similar headwinds (e.g., Gurley).  This one is going feel especially good though because it involves the team I happen to follow.

By all means naysayers, please, please carry on.

Comparing Gurley to McKinnon is like comparing Kate Upton after 3 hours of hair and makeup to Roseanne Barr, but after she's had 3rd degree burns over 80% of her body. 

Gurley is a FREAK! He had already had massive success at the pro level. You're right though. People way over reacted to his bad 2016. 

This happens every year. The general public makes sharp corrections that go beyond what's reasonable. Kind of like how McKinnon finds himself being drafted where he is. He's nothing like Gurley because he's never done even a fraction of what Gurley has, even with multiple extra years of opportunity. In fact, it's likely that he's not even as good as Hyde was in SF. 

Full PPR is the only format I'd consider drafting this scrub, and certainly no earlier than the late 3rd.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Comparing Gurley to McKinnon

Feel free read to my post that way, especially if fuels your take on the McKinnon signing.  When enough returns are in (we won't need the whole season), I will explain what you missed (hint, it's already laid out in the McKinnon thread).

In the meantime though, don't be deterred (not that I believe you ever would be).  Last off-season's "Gurley is a JAG, scrub, etc." club had its cock-sure spokesperson too (you can visit the early pages of the 2017 Gurley thread to find out who that was).  That spokesperson was certain as well that no change of circumstance could boost that player's fortunes. This off-sason, it is great that the "McKinnon is a JAG, scrub etc." club now has it's immodest spokesperson.  Makes the inevitable post-mortem so much easier and fun.

• Haha 1