thecomebackkid907

Jalen Beeks LHP Red Sox

29 minutes ago, davidgoretiz said:

Beeks scratched from his start today in AAA. An option to replace Drew Pomeranz in the Red Sox rotation for Thursday's start.

Isn't Beeks scheduled to start Thursday in AAA?

Just dropped him Sunday cause there was no light at the end of the tunnel.  Gonna have to drop some FAAB on him now. 

Red Sox recalled RHP Brandon Workman from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Workman will take the 25-man roster spot of Drew Pomeranz, who was placed on the disabled list with biceps tendinitis. Workman pitched in 33 games for the Red Sox in 2017, posting a 3.18 ERA. He'll work in a lower-leverage relief role in his first taste of MLB action this year.

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Isn't Beeks scheduled to start Thursday in AAA?

I believe Beeks was scheduled to start tonight's game, and the starter is now Josh Smith.

So yes, Beeks lined up to start Thursday. We dont know where yet. Nothing official yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Workman will take the 25-man roster spot of Drew Pomeranz, who was placed on the disabled list with biceps tendinitis. Workman pitched in 33 games for the Red Sox in 2017, posting a 3.18 ERA. He'll work in a lower-leverage relief role in his first taste of MLB action this year.

This won't impact whether or not Beeks gets the call. Sox don't need a starter until Thursday so there's no point in bringing him up today. They'll use Workman in relief if needed today or tomorrow then decide who gets the start for Thursday. The writer for the Red Sox SB nation site is speculating that he believes it'll be Beeks. Whether it's just a spot start or not will also remain to be seen but I think he makes for a decent add if you play in deep leagues or AL-only leagues.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Workman not a starter though.  He’ll be up to fill roster for time being 

Edited by MrMartyBarrett

I think the writing is on the wall here. 

Dombrowski on pre game show (paraphrased) “Steven (Wright) is going to throw for us today, and then we’re  gonna use somebody else from our system to throw Thursday”

So....I’d say this is even more likely....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Dombrowski on pre game show (paraphrased) “Steven (Wright) is going to throw for us today, and then we’re  gonna use somebody else from our system to throw Thursday”

So....I’d say this is even more likely....

Yeah was gonna say Workman is simply a backup for Wright. for tonight.  Wright will start least once more over the weekend as of this point.

Before I get swept up in the excitement of a call up. . . .Is anyone else concerned that for all his K's he doesn't really have a good swinging strike rate? 

Not sure he will get the K's when he's up with a sub-par swinging strike rate. 

The only pause I have is that he didnt fare well when he faced the Yanks AAA team.  The guys that were on rehab and/or have spent time in the majors handled him pretty easily. 

36 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Before I get swept up in the excitement of a call up. . . .Is anyone else concerned that for all his K's he doesn't really have a good swinging strike rate? 

Not sure he will get the K's when he's up with a sub-par swinging strike rate. 

Where do you find minor league swinging strike rates, by the way? 

I am a little wary of his prospects in the majors and don't think he is worth stashing in anything outside really deep leagues, such as AL-only, UNLESS his call-up is imminent (which appears to be the case.)

Edited by IceGoat

"It appears that starter will be Beeks"

Rotoworld seems to think he's the most likely to get the start Thursday, gotta take a chance and pick him up.

Edited by Zerzavy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IceGoat said:

Where do you find minor league swinging strike rates, by the way? 

I am a little wary of his prospects in the majors and don't think he is worth stashing in anything outside really deep leagues, such as AL-only, UNLESS his call-up is imminent (which appears to be the case.)

"An examination of Beeks’ last three starts seems to reveal an inordinately high ratio of strikeouts by way of the fastball and/or the called third strike. And while, as noted, he has the top strikeout rate among all minor-league qualifiers, his swinging-strike rate ranks 61st among that same population. Of course, this doesn’t render his present achievement any less remarkable. It merely suggests that it’s unlikely to translate directly to the majors"

from this Article https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-five-baseballs-most-compelling-fringe-prospects-107/

Velazquez in the game in the 8th today up 6-0.  Maybe The last of all signs to help  point to Beeks for Thursday’s start

Conformed by Alex Cora just now in post-game interview on NESN.  Beeks starts Thursday.  Me bad, you guys were right.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KJ12345 said:

Just dropped him Sunday cause there was no light at the end of the tunnel.  Gonna have to drop some FAAB on him now. 

I did the same exact thing Monday before lineups locked. I had to make room for CMart coming off the DL and there was talk Beeks may not be up for awhile. I hate when that happens.

I held him for about 5 weeks and the week I drop him he gets the call. 

You know he is going to pitch well and then we will have to drop 30% of our budget. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rrrrich46 said:

If he's lights out can he stick?

Anything is possible but it seems like his stay in the majors may be short based of this article I read. 

Beeks' stay in the rotation is likely to be a short one, as Steven Wright's seven shutout innings in Tuesday night's game earned him another shot in place of Pomeranz. Boston will move forward with a rotation of Chris Sale, David Price, Rick Porcello, Eduardo Rodriguez and Wright, with Beek providing a sixth option while Pomeranz is shelved.

I hope he pitches well and stays up but this seems like a spot start.

56 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Anything is possible but it seems like his stay in the majors may be short based of this article I read. 

Beeks' stay in the rotation is likely to be a short one, as Steven Wright's seven shutout innings in Tuesday night's game earned him another shot in place of Pomeranz. Boston will move forward with a rotation of Chris Sale, David Price, Rick Porcello, Eduardo Rodriguez and Wright, with Beek providing a sixth option while Pomeranz is shelved.

I hope he pitches well and stays up but this seems like a spot start.

It is a spot start indeed.  The 6 man rotation was pre-planned awhile ago to give the pitchers and extra day of rest.  Pomeranz to the DL just meant Wright moved from 6th man into the rotation instead and Beeks fills in his slot as the 6th starter during this one time 6 man rotation turn.

• Like 1