murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

Hope you didn't drop Neris...bye SerAnthony

Anthony is a long term hold for keeper and dynasty leagues. He has the best stuff on that staff and has only been up 2 weeks. Neris has a very short leash. You would be wise to grab him.

At this point Kapler and Scioscia are just trying to one up each other on who is more diabolical, right ?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

AKA Not the closer

AKA still gonna get some saves and put up good ratios. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

At this point Kapler and Scioscia are just trying to one up each other on who is more diabolical, right ?

Except everything Kapler tries (since Sir Antgony got the call) is working (thus far).

Knebel gonna get a save chance tonight? 

13 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Hard to argue with the results thus far from a real baseball POV at least.

The encouraging thing if you own Dominguez is that he was put in in the highest leverage situation of the game and he handled it well.  If you have the space I'd continue to hold and see.  It's not an ideal situation but he's the most trusted arm out there right now, which is crazy considering how short he has been up.  

20 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Scioscia stil holds that title by a LONG shot

I thought Knebel only got saves when Hader was unavailable...

• Like 1

With committees you gotta treat it like you either own all 3 and take up roster spots or you own one of them take a 1/3 chance at a save.

The committees:

Neris/Dominguez/Ramos

Jones/Fry/rondon

Anderson/Parker/Johnson

Clippard/tepera/0h

Knevel/hader/jeffress

Giles/Devo

2 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

With committees you gotta treat it like you either own all 3 and take up roster spots or you own one of them take a 1/3 chance at a save.

The committees:

Neris/Dominguez/Ramos

Jones/Fry/rondon

Anderson/Parker/Johnson

Clippard/tepera/0h

Knevel/hader/jeffress

Giles/Devo

I would flip Parker and Anderson and I bet if there is a save opportunity tomorrow Ramos gets it...

• Like 1

Jeffress is not part of a committee. Knebel is the closer. Though i could see Hader getting the occasional save. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Neris is the closer...Seranthony is who we thought he was

They used Seranthony against the top of the order and he got it done. 

Neris can be the closer for now, Seranthony is lurking in the shadows and we know who Neris is and what he does every 2nd or 3rd time out..  

Just now, Braves16 said:

Jeffress is not part of a committee. Knebel is the closer. Though i could see Hader getting the occasional save. 

correct...

1 minute ago, Braves16 said:

I was going to respond that IF there is a "committee", it's Knebel/Hader.  They aren't going to use Jeffress to close games now that Knebel is back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ragrag said:

They used Seranthony against the top of the order and he got it done. 

Neris can be the closer for now, Seranthony is lurking in the shadows and we know who Neris is and what he does every 2nd or 3rd time out..  

I think Kapler knows better and will not have Neris as the sole closer.  He will be used in easier situations and favorable matchups and Ramos will get some of the 9th as well.  The constant is Seranthony getting the tough outs imo - whatever that inning may be...

I liken this situation to the Brewers situation while Knebel was out.  Whoever pitches well (Neris/Ramos etc) gets more of the 9th.  If it has to be Seranthony that's who it will be...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2

Some teams have adpoted the Rubik's cube strategy in the bullpen, so many combos gets it done

• Like 2

After his blowup vs NYY I jokingly said watch Rodney wheel off 17 scoreless games in a row...

Was only half kidding. He's something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

I'll give Kapler more credit than Scioscia..

7 hours ago, Braves16 said:

I think it'll be closer to 50-50... maybe even in favor of Hader. Hader's just so much better than anyone in that pen that whenever he comes into the game there's no one you want to take him out for unless he runs up too high of a pitch count to finish it out in time. 

Edited by absknicks

8 hours ago, pbjfb said:

The committees:

Neris/Dominguez/Ramos

Jones/Fry/rondon

Anderson/Parker/Johnson

Clippard/tepera/0h

Knevel/hader/jeffress

Giles/Devo

Have we seen anything that would indicate Toronto is a committee?  Jays have been sucking so we haven't seen many SV opps, but Clippard seems to have pretty consistently been used in the closer role since the Osuna issue.  I could see Tepera maybe getting some 9th inning work in the future, but Oh has been used as the first arm out of the bullpen in the 5th/6th innings for a while now.  Other than that one early season SV, I see nothing that would lead me to believe Oh gets a SV opp any time soon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Have we seen anything that would indicate Toronto is a committee?  Jays have been sucking so we haven't seen many SV opps, but Clippard seems to have pretty consistently been used in the closer role since the Osuna issue.  I could see Tepera maybe getting some 9th inning work in the future, but Oh has been used as the first arm out of the bullpen in the 5th/6th innings for a while now.  Other than that one early season SV, I see nothing that would lead me to believe Oh gets a SV opp any time soon.

Yeah, maybe you're right