murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

Knebel looked really bad. Got some fortunate strike calls against Conforto to help get him out of it. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 8:46 PM, meh2 said:

Royals fan here. Keller would likely be next in line but he is indeed meh. He throws pretty hard and has decent control but he doesn’t miss many bats. McCarthy would likely be next after him but he isn’t an exciting option either. Both have k’s per 9 around 6. An interesting name to keep an eye on is Jason Adam. He’s a former starter that’s been plagued with elbow problems so they switched him to the bullpen where his stuff is really playing up. They also have their “closer of the future” in the minors in the form of Staumont or Lovelady.

Update to this: Keller is getting a chance at the rotation and is starting Wednesday. Adam got the 8th today protecting a 2-run lead. A trade of Herrera is all but certain and he makes for a name to watch. Small sample size warning applies but thus far he has a 12.91k/9, 1.17 bb/9, and a 16.0% swinging strike rate. He's the only arm in the pen that has any upside.

• Like 2

Giles still hasn't blown a save or came even close to blowing one iirc. On the other hand, he gives up about 2 runs everytime they trot him out there in non save opportunities. If they aren't going to pitch him in save situations they might as well DFA him because he seems to mentally have problems with pitching when there isn't a save on the line

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know what this means for his health going forward.

another opinion chart to add to the list..

https://www.fantasyguruelite.com/baseball/season-long-articles/2018-closer-grid-523

has Vasquez, Feliz, Rodriguez.

`

Tough situation here. 

Rodriguez's numbers are filthy but he's been used in low leverage situations (like in the 5th inning yesterday).

Feliz is another piece of the Cole deal so I'm sure they'd love for him to do well but he flat out has not been very good. 

I'm not familiar with Santana atm.  Someone sell me on him...

Funny how Feliz's SwStrk % fell off a cliff upon his trade from Houston.

Good thing he's buried in the Pirates bullpen a/k/a the witness protection program.

Uhhh, why is colome in for the save? 

Nevermind.   Diaz had been used in 4 of 5.

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

Uhhh, why is colome in for the save? 

Because Diaz has been pitching every day.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Tough situation here. 

Rodriguez's numbers are filthy but he's been used in low leverage situations (like in the 5th inning yesterday).

Feliz is another piece of the Cole deal so I'm sure they'd love for him to do well but he flat out has not been very good. 

I'm not familiar with Santana atm.  Someone sell me on him...

So, who is the add?  Need to get this correct.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BklynBlue said:

So, who is the add?  Need to get this correct.

Me too as a Vazquez dynasty owner expecting the worst.

And I have no idea.

Feliz has been hot garbage lately and the other guy has been used in low leverage, meh idk

Edited by Patrick Bateman
We don't need to know about your team.

Well at least it looks like us Acuna owners might have room for a spec add soon at least...right?

Time for the hard stuff gents. 

If Feliz hasn’t lost the managers trust the past 3 outings, it’s probably him.  If he has, I’d go with Santana.  Usage wise, it looks like one of those two.  

6 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

If Feliz hasn’t lost the managers trust the past 3 outings, it’s probably him.  If he has, I’d go with Santana.  Usage wise, it looks like one of those two.  

Went with Santana. Figure you just have to go with the usage, even if Rodriguez is the higher upside guy. Have to think for a may or maybe not contending team like the Pirates, saves are an opportunity to turn someone into trade value. I don't know enough about the situation to say how they value Santana and Rodriguez. If one is expendable and if they want one to be on their next contending team. 

Edited by loro1991

I went Feliz.  Not be captain obvious over here, but it seems like teams normally give the first shot at closing to their 8th inning guy.  

18 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Went with Santana. Figure you just have to go with the usage, even if Rodriguez is the higher upside guy. Have to think for a may or maybe not contending team like the Pirates, saves are an opportunity to turn someone into trade value. I don't know enough about the situation to say how they value Santana and Rodriguez. If one is expendable and if they want one to be on their next contending team. 

Question for anyone -

Has anyone put eyes on Santana?  How's he look? 

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Funny how Feliz's SwStrk % fell off a cliff upon his trade from Houston.

Good thing he's buried in the Pirates bullpen a/k/a the witness protection program.

What do you make of that?

16 minutes ago, crazyfingers711 said:

I went Feliz.  Not be captain obvious over here, but it seems like teams normally give the first shot at closing to their 8th inning guy.  

Normally I think this would be simple, but it’s a little more complicated with Felizs recent outings

17 minutes ago, crazyfingers711 said:

I went with Santana figuring that some people might look at Feliz's bad stats (past 3 outings) and leave him on the wire. If he gets the first save opp I'll be monitoring closer than anyone else and grab him then. 

Edited by loro1991

Pirates probably go committee. Feliz has been the 8th inning guy but has been awful tho.. Rodriguez is more likely the fireman guy in the middle innings. So that leaves Santana as a possible closer given his solid ratios and late innings appearances.

I'm surprised Santana is actually getting more adds on Yahoo than Feliz

right. Who is santana anyways? any good? feliz is the 8th inning guy right? one would think feliz gets the gig

if feliz has been bad his whole career, which looks that way, why in the h e l l is he pitching the 8th??