murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

17 hours ago, meh2 said:

Update to this: Keller is getting a chance at the rotation and is starting Wednesday. Adam got the 8th today protecting a 2-run lead. A trade of Herrera is all but certain and he makes for a name to watch. Small sample size warning applies but thus far he has a 12.91k/9, 1.17 bb/9, and a 16.0% swinging strike rate. He's the only arm in the pen that has any upside.

This is tremendous insight, and it got buried in the Pittsburgh discussion. I might jump Adam ahead of Jimenez in deadline closer speculation because I’m 99% sure Herrera is traded. I’m not sure who looks at Shane Greene and thinks he’s the solution to bullpen woes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

I hadn’t really considered that when I posted yesterday. I was more frustrated with the arbitration argument when we’ve seen plenty of “smart” teams outright ignore arbitration standing in their naming of a closer over the years (Cleveland with Allen, Tampa with Colome, Doolittle briefly in Oakland before signing his long term deal).

Your point is a good one though - Tampa is trying all sorts of strategies with their pitching this year. I still think ultimately there will be a guy (like Colome prior to the trade), but the guy may never be anointed by Cash as his closer. 

Yeah I agree the arbitration argument is not a good one.  I think you made a post a month or so ago when I brought up arbitration, and you made a lot of sense and a lot of good points.  I doubt the Rays are thinking too hard about arbitration costs in 2+ years.

I really think Cash is going to follow his metrics / matchups / etc and ruin save opps in Tampa, just like he has with the openers.  This is just my gut / hunch, but I think Colome was used in a traditional closers role up until the trade just because that's how he had been used the last couple years, and also to try and keep his trade value reasonable.  Now that he is out and there is nobody in that pen with "closer expectations", Cash will use whatever crazy scheme he feels will work on that given day.  Obviously there will still be some saves awarded in TB, and I don't doubt Alvarado gets the most of them, which is all that matters for fantasy purposes, but you might be looking at 10-15 over the rest of the season, with a wide range of pitchers having a handful.  I'd expect the days of them running out a single arm for every 9th inning save opp are over for now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

This is tremendous insight, and it got buried in the Pittsburgh discussion. I might jump Adam ahead of Jimenez in deadline closer speculation because I’m 99% sure Herrera is traded. I’m not sure who looks at Shane Greene and thinks he’s the solution to bullpen woes. 

Fringe / budget teams I would expect to go after guys like Greene or Soria.  Pittsburgh comes to mind for me.  Oakland maybe?  There will be some scrub teams that don't want to pay out a big price for bullpen help, still have their eyes on the future, but want to give a half attempt at this year.  I doubt these guys close where they go, but they could be OK pieces.  I just can't see the small market teams trading the prospect capital needed for a proven closer like Herrera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Weird, I can't find Adam in my ESPN league.  Is he really not in their player pool?  Seems strange for a guy who has already pitched in 7 games.

Edited by Skrappy1

Not amused with the Pitt situation,  burned a move on Santana and now it appears it's not even that bad

10 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Not amused with the Pitt situation,  burned a move on Santana and now it appears it's not even that bad

Wouldnt drop yet.  I'm waiting to see how he does.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Much like the Middleton situation, hold and wait and see what happens.

Did Pitt not give Vazquez a MRI?

3 hours ago, mpbaseball22 said:

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

encouraging for Vasquez owners.

LOL!!!!!

z52Ddq2LMA-4.png

Everything is fine.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Are the Pirates by any chance sharing the Mets doctors? 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Any word on Iglesias?  Is he back next week?

I just read on cbs he could return Wednesday 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I just read on cbs he could return Wednesday 

Yeah I too just saw that he threw a side session today and if he’s doing well after that he should return Wednesday. I’ll wait to hear news of his return then probably drop Hughes. Thanks for the two saves last week to help me win the category. 

Here we go Giles non save opps again eek:ph34r:

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Seth lugo staying in for the Mets in the 9th

Why?

Familia hurt, sick or they just sick of him blowing games?

Lol Charlie Culberson walk off HR.

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Instead, they watch Lugo blow it. Very strange.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I think his job his safe

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Seth lugo staying in for the Mets in the 9th

And..... blows it.  Mets lose.  Oh, Mets.....

BTW, you can probably eliminate Richard Rodriguez from the immediate Bucs discussion.  Regression came a knocking.

• Like 1

Probably hoping to save Familia for the second game of the double header if needed. Oops

1 minute ago, Jub Jub said:

Probably hoping to save Familia for the second game of the double header if needed. Oops

Oh Mickey you’re so stupid you blow mind, Oh Mickey.