smeeze

John Kelly 2018 Outlook

Nope, think brown would be given the role, is Kelly still listed as the 4th RB on depth chart, something isnt adding up, but he doesnt seem to be in their plans this year. 

I guess all these writers have amnesia...   

Everyone was singing a much different tune when Kelly was actually playing...

Here is a bit from August -

The No. 176 overall pick is now 46/197/3/4.3 for the preseason, and has added six receptions. Kelly appears locked in as Todd Gurley's primary backup, and would be an instant RB2 with room to grow were Gurley to go down with injury.

2 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

So is he the handcuff then?

most likely, but probably won't know for sure till we see who the Rams activate for the game.  Rams only carried 2 active RBs on game days

43 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

So is he the handcuff then?

The other dude, Davis I believe, has been up recently but I understand it's because of ST's...and he will likely replace Brown on a lot of those too now. I expect Kelly will be the COP for the 15 or so percent of plays that TG takes off. AND he would certainly be the main guy IF something terribly unfortunate befell TG. I also bet Kelly would be pretty damn awesome in this offense, behind this line.

• Thanks 1

with the Rams having already clinched the West, Gurley will probably be seeing a reduced workload

for those who have week 16 as their championship that Arizona matchup looks pretty tasty

Just now, wendellrott said:

with the Rams having already clinched the West, Gurley will probably be seeing a reduced workload

for those who have week 16 as their championship that Arizona matchup looks pretty tasty

maybe week 17, wouldn't count on anything sooner,  and we all saw what happened last year when they decided to stop playing after 16 weeks.  they may end up even rethinking that strategy this year as well, but i'd fully expect the Rams to be playing starters in week 16, maybe give 5 carries to the backup, but be honest, are you really going to start a RB who is going to touch a ball 5x in a game?

12 minutes ago, Panthor said:

maybe week 17, wouldn't count on anything sooner,  and we all saw what happened last year when they decided to stop playing after 16 weeks.  they may end up even rethinking that strategy this year as well, but i'd fully expect the Rams to be playing starters in week 16, maybe give 5 carries to the backup, but be honest, are you really going to start a RB who is going to touch a ball 5x in a game?

Kelly should see more than 5 carries a game should the Rams open up a substantial lead which should be the case against Zona' 

quite possible that he gets all the work when they hit a clock killing mode

10 carries and a target or 2 against the Cards could be very profitable

don't think that's out of the range of possibility

8 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

Kelly should see more than 5 carries a game should the Rams open up a substantial lead which should be the case against Zona' 

quite possible that he gets all the work when they hit a clock killing mode

10 carries and a target or 2 against the Cards could be very profitable

don't think that's out of the range of possibility

sure, but a huge if, and makes the guy a complete non factor in determining a starting line up.  there is no way you can possibly start a guy that needs the stars to align in order to be productive in fantasy playoffs.  ouside of the deepest of leagues i don't see how this can even be a consideration as a dart throw

Edited by Panthor

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

sure, but a huge if, and makes the guy a complete non factor in determining a starting line up.  there is no way you can possibly start a guy that needs the stars to align in order to be productive in fantasy playoffs.  ouside of the deepest of leagues i don't see how this can even be a consideration as a dart throw

3 minutes ago, Schmakky141 said:

do we have any indication who Mcvay will favour out of Kelly or Davis as the RB2 option?

Kelly

3 minutes ago, Schmakky141 said:

do we have any indication who Mcvay will favour out of Kelly or Davis as the RB2 option?

It will be Kelly. The only reason he's been inactive this year is because McVay prefers the flexibility of Brown and Davis on special teams. With Brown going down there is room for him. Kelly is the more talented back. If anything were to happen with Gurley I'd expect Kelly to get the bulk of the carries.

• Like 2

Grabbed Kelly tonight. Better to be safe then sorry in an unfortunate event or whatever the case. Kelly is mega talented too. Great cuff 

ah yes, i remember when people were rostering a backup to a backup because he averaged a little over 4 yards per carry in preseason, same as he did in college. what a monster.

anyway, now that brown is out of the way he's worth a roster spot for gurley owners. not like you have anything with more potential at the end of your bench in december. anybody that has held him all year probably missed playoffs anyway, so i imagine he's available.

• Like 1

Wonder what the plan is for this guy? A rb needy team outta throw an offer out for him in the off season.... shouldn't cost much...

Is this guy even the handcuff?  Dominant performance by Bears D tonight that completely shut down Gurley.  But Justin Davis got the one lone non-Gurley carry at the end of the game when the outcome was decided.  Seems like we can't read much into that.

Can't read too much into the current situation. The general line of thought is that Kelly is the much better pure rusher, while Davis is active because he plays special teams. Davis is more of a slasher, prototypical returner with build up speed. Kelly has a more compact frame and is better suited for a workload of 15-20 touches without Gurley. In reality, it will be an ugly RBBC in the mold of Ekeler/Jackson, where most people guessed wrong in the last couple weeks. In deep leagues or if you have Gurley and the WW is bleak, Kelly is a solid handcuff imo.