WTP333

Mike Soroka 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Not pitching great but defense is killing him. 2 infield hits that could have been prevented.  Maybe they'll change first one to an error on Freeman

Edited by The Waker

Another cheap hit that could have been

an out. He hasn't given up a hard hit ball all inning but 3 ER already. 

Every hit given up was a single, oh well let's see how he bounces back next start after some adversity. 

Many pitches just missed or likely would have been called strikes by other umpires. Fielders choice non out at home cost more pitches and many hits were just out of reach of fielders or better play would have created outs.

To be fair early in game there was some absolute rockets right at people.  Belt in particularly scolded 2.  He just didn’t have command today.   Common with young arms.  Have to be patient with these kids.  

Absolutely no command today. Probably a lock to be sent down now, quite unfortunate.

27 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Many pitches just missed or likely would have been called strikes by other umpires. Fielders choice non out at home cost more pitches and many hits were just out of reach of fielders or better play would have created outs.

not sure what game you were watching but i counted several pitches 2 feet off the plate, another handful almost sailing over the catchers head.  of course hes not going to get those close strikes.

1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

not sure what game you were watching but i counted several pitches 2 feet off the plate, another handful almost sailing over the catchers head.  of course hes not going to get those close strikes.

He didn't say there weren't pitches like that or that he was talking about those...

40 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

To be fair early in game there was some absolute rockets right at people.  Belt in particularly scolded 2.  He just didn’t have command today.   Common with young arms.  Have to be patient with these kids.  

There were hits like this in his last start. When he misses his spot with his sinker it floats middle which makes it very hittable.

Again he's young. Talent is real.

41 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

Absolutely no command today. Probably a lock to be sent down now, quite unfortunate.

Sent down? One page ago Sokora was a 'must-add' across the board, and on this page he is going to be sent down?

I'm curious as to why he would get sent down now? I have him on many teams.

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

Sent down? One page ago Sokora was a 'must-add' across the board, and on this page he is going to be sent down?

I think some of their beat writers were tweeting it could just be a cameo when he first came up. But, looks like he'll get another shot to impress: 

Soroka is scheduled to stay in rotation for next turn, #Braves' Snitker said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mthdmn said:

For who? Gohara? He’s been putrid in AAA so far. I can’t imagine they’re rushing to get him up. 

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Nope, here to stay.  Braves fortunately don't play Immediate Panic Over Anything Less Than Perfect Fantasy Baseball.

Braves' manager Brian Snitker said after Sunday's game that Mike Soroka will remain in the team's starting rotation.

Despite his struggles against the Giants on Sunday, it looks as though the 20-year-old hurler is here to stay. Anibal Sanchez is expected to be shifted to the bullpen once he's healthy.

Source: Kevin McAlpin on Twitter   May 6 - 6:19 PM

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So next start is @MIA?

Hmmm, I guess I'm going with him in weeklys

11 hours ago, mthdmn said:

Not to beat it to death but,

Soroka is going to be a stud. He's 20 and will definitely have some clunkers. I have him in my keeper and hope he finds himself this year and really kicks it up a level next year.

Gives up too many hits for my liking.  Especially this against a bad Marlins team.

33 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Gives up too many hits for my liking.  Especially this against a bad Marlins team.

And most were on 1-2 counts.  He'd get to 1-2 then give them a good pitch to hit

Most kids his age are in A ball, maybe AA. The fact that he is holding his own is enough for me for now.

Tons of weak contact and a. 408 BABIP tell me better times are coming. 

That said, Joey Bats gotta go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treat88 said:

Tons of weak contact and a. 408 BABIP tell me better times are coming. 

That said, Joey Bats gotta go. 

Agreed...can ATL just go all in on youth and call up Riley already?

5 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Who is starting today and what’s your confidence level?

Definitely starting. Confidence is at a 7/10, I like what I've seen from him so far despite mixed results 

• Like 1