smeeze

Michael Gallup 2018 Outlook

On 7/11/2018 at 12:20 AM, CABLE87 said:

I dont like who’s throwing to him though.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:17 AM, Fort4242 said:

If Dallas throws the ball 500 times

Who’s throwing? 500 times? In my notebook, I have Zeke pegged as the Cowboys’ leading rusher and Dak Prescott second to Zeke.

The aerial assault will come from Dan Bailey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

Who’s throwing? 500 times? In my notebook, I have Zeke pegged as the Cowboys’ leading rusher and Dak Prescott second to Zeke.

What? Dallas had 483 attempts Dak's rookie year, with a full year of Zeke.  I don't think one more attempt per game is unreasonable.

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

What? Dallas had 483 attempts Dak's rookie year, with a full year of Zeke.  I don't think one more attempt per game is unreasonable.

The implied sentiment was facetious in nature, emphasizing the lack of strength within the WR corps, Dak’s proclivity and the need to scramble and run, and the overall ailings of the Zeke-centric offense that might be kicking more field goals than passing TDs. 400-500 attempts is expected.

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, cohenstantinople said:

Yeah, I totally forgot about Dan Bailey. 

A poor mans Edelman/Hogan.....

Edited by CABLE87

Gallup is rightly going undrafted.  A rookie WR with Dak spreading the call around.  He’s no OBJ athleticly...

Odds are he’s a WR4 as a rookie.

Not sure I understand the logic, he may do wr 4 numbers but it's not gonna be because he isn't getting opps... no dez no witten.... so hurns and gallup... and he's got dak cause dak isn't any good? Sophomore slump? I don't know but his rookie year he did alright 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Expectations seem a little too high For Thisbe guy

2 hours ago, seanismorris said:

Gallup is rightly going undrafted.  A rookie WR with Dak spreading the call around.  He’s no OBJ athleticly...

Odds are he’s a WR4 as a rookie.

8 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Not sure I understand the logic, he may do wr 4 numbers but it's not gonna be because he isn't getting opps... no dez no witten.... so hurns and gallup... and he's got dak cause dak isn't any good? Sophomore slump? I don't know but his rookie year he did alright 

I'm confused what the expectations are when one says they're too high and another that he's undrafted in back to back posts. 

Beasley isn't going to play outside. Terrance Williams can't catch with his hands. There's really only two candidates on this roster to be the "X" receiver, and that's Allen Hurns and Michael Gallup. He only needs to beat out Williams, who again I can't stress this enough, cannot catch with his hands, to get playing time. He only needs to beat out Hurns to be a #1 WR. Is it likely? I wouldn't say that. But the opportunity and path to success is pretty evident. 

You can knock any situation and QB you want, but at the end of the day, any owner who had Jermaine Kerse at the beginning of last season or Robby Anderson knows that the main WR, even on terrible teams, can be a productive, consistent Fantasy player. That's probably going to be Hurns or Gallup on this offense. By my count, on the ESPN pre-draft rankings (in-app) they WR53 and WR60 I believe. Maybe 52 and 59? Eitherway, Hurns is first. 

One of those two is going to finish higher than WR53. Barring injury, I'd pretty much guarantee that. If someone overvalues Gallup in my draft and jumps him up a ton, I won't get him. If they fall to that range, in a snake I'd love to get the cheaper one, and if I'm lucky I can get both for a couple dollars each in auction. CSB, but I have a deep, 12 team 2-RB 3-WR 1-SuperFlex 2-Flex league that also has stupid benches. In that league I'm targetting Hurns and Gallup in auction hoping I can get them for a total price that is limited. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

You can knock any situation and QB you want, but at the end of the day, any owner who had Jermaine Kerse at the beginning of last season or Robby Anderson knows that the main WR, even on terrible teams, can be a productive, consistent Fantasy player.

I agree with your post for the most part, and certainly WR2 numbers can be super valuable when considering Flex1 and Flex2 spots... and that’s where the Cowboys’ #1 WR ended up at season’s end in 2017, an inconsistent Flex player with 69 receptions / 838 yards / 6 TDs. Still, if you’re drafting now, Gallup (and Hurns) are fairly priced if we’re looking at 800 / 6.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:03 PM, hard1 said:

He's got a lot of comps...hopefully he's his own dude and just does his thing on the field... projections?

55 receptions 600 yards 4 TD's 

35 / 450 / 2 is more along what I'm envisioning for him.

I am fully expecting a year of learning and minimal use and then Hurns is released in the off-season giving Gallup a chance to make this job his... in 2019.

Injuries happen though and that can definitely change.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 11:44 PM, joshua18 said:

Not at all. He can actually win outside of the slot.

lol, funny how the narrative when Agholor came into the league was that he was a good outside receiver. You can't say he can play on the outside when he hasn't played a match yet.

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

Dak's tertiary targets have not done well, let alone quaternary.  Hell, Bryant was barely startable for most of their tenure together.  Williams and Beasley have had flashes and brief stretches, but that's a ride no one really wants to go on.  The pecking order for passing targets will look something like Hurns-Beasley-Zeke-Williams-???  imo.  Gallup may rise up, but I'm not confident in Dak bringing a rookie WR into fantasy relevancy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, uhohitsstevo said:

lol, funny how the narrative when Agholor came into the league was that he was a good outside receiver. You can't say he can play on the outside when he hasn't played a match yet.

And you can't say that he can't. 

Buy low while you can.

4 minutes ago, kdko said:

Dak's tertiary targets have not done well, let alone quaternary.  Hell, Bryant was barely startable for most of their tenure together.  Williams and Beasley have had flashes and brief stretches, but that's a ride no one really wants to go on.  The pecking order for passing targets will look something like Hurns-Beasley-Zeke-Williams-???  imo.  Gallup may rise up, but I'm not confident in Dak bringing a rookie WR into fantasy relevancy.

Guess I'm more confident that Beasley and williams won't stand in the way of progress and jones proving they didn't need dez

I said expectations were too high bc people seem to be expecting him to come in and win the wr2 job right away. I disagree with that. The coaches seem to like Beasley and Williams for some reason. And regardless of who is the wr2 in Dallas, I personally think they will suck. There’s seems to be a fallacy going around that “someone has to catch passes.” Well, I disagree. As a panthers fan, I’ve seen first hand that it’s more likely your wrs get shutdown by competent cbs then it is that “someone’s catching the ball.” If you think Gallup is a bonified stud, sure the opportunity is there. I think there’s a reason that he went in the third. Whoever wins the wr2 job will benefit from defenses selling out to stop Zeke, yes. But again, I think it’s very likely the Dallas passing offense just completely struggles 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I said expectations were too high bc people seem to be expecting him to come in and win the wr2 job right away. I disagree with that. The coaches seem to like Beasley and Williams for some reason. And regardless of who is the wr2 in Dallas, I personally think they will suck. There’s seems to be a fallacy going around that “someone has to catch passes.” Well, I disagree. As a panthers fan, I’ve seen first hand that it’s more likely your wrs get shutdown by competent cbs then it is that “someone’s catching the ball.” If you think Gallup is a bonified stud, sure the opportunity is there. I think there’s a reason that he went in the third. Whoever wins the wr2 job will benefit from defenses selling out to stop Zeke, yes. But again, I think it’s very likely the Dallas passing offense just completely struggles 

Panthers have had relevant WRs pretty much every year between Funchess, Ginn, and Benjamin. And in terms of liking Williams and Beasley, the liked Gallup enough to feel confident waiting til the third round on WR. I don’t think they do that without confidence.

So yes, maybe it takes time for Gallup to take over. But I watch the Cowboys the second most of any team, and it is my interpretation that these obstacles are t that high, and at his current price Gallup is worth the flier. 

28 minutes ago, taobball said:

Panthers have had relevant WRs pretty much every year between Funchess, Ginn, and Benjamin. And in terms of liking Williams and Beasley, the liked Gallup enough to feel confident waiting til the third round on WR. I don’t think they do that without confidence.

So yes, maybe it takes time for Gallup to take over. But I watch the Cowboys the second most of any team, and it is my interpretation that these obstacles are t that high, and at his current price Gallup is worth the flier. 

If by relevant you mean fantasy wise, sure, to a point. And I wouldn’t say they liked him enough to wait on him till the third. He could’ve easily been picked earlier. Then what would the cowboys have done? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

If by relevant you mean fantasy wise, sure, to a point. And I wouldn’t say they liked him enough to wait on him till the third. He could’ve easily been picked earlier. Then what would the cowboys have done? 

I mean I’m assuming they may have had a couple of guys. I’m just saying that in general I think their draft strategy was to pass in the first because they had faith in some of the mid round guys contribute as much. Considering their entire drafts lean towards PFf, it’s no surprise Gallup went to them. And personally I think they got their guy. 

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Tavon Austin is on this team too FYI and might threaten Cole playing time. 

Cole Beasley been dropping rap albums this offseason. I hope he's also been putting in time to keep his job as well. 

He does claim that he's paranoid though so maybe he has been. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Tavon Austin is on this team too FYI and might threaten Cole playing time. 

Cole Beasley been dropping rap albums this offseason. I hope he's also been putting in time to keep his job as well. 

He does claim that he's paranoid though so maybe he has been. 

Ahhh yeah, I completely forget about the addition of Austin.  I don't think he'll oust Beasley from the slot, but they're definitely going to find ways to make sure he gets touches.  He probably eats into Beasley's and Zeke's targets.  This just further muddies things for a rookie WR, with so many mouths to feed, and a QB who doesn't offer the best opportunity with what you're getting.  Hurns is probably the only WR on this offense i'd have on my bench to start this season, and that's with no real expectations to even start him at any point.  That's how down on the Cowboys receiving corps I am.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, kdko said:

Ahhh yeah, I completely forget about the addition of Austin.  I don't think he'll oust Beasley from the slot, but they're definitely going to find ways to make sure he gets touches.  He probably eats into Beasley's and Zeke's targets.  This just further muddies things for a rookie WR, with so many mouths to feed, and a QB who doesn't offer the best opportunity with what you're getting.  Hurns is probably the only WR on this offense i'd have on my bench to start this season, and that's with no real expectations to even start him at any point.  That's how down on the Cowboys receiving corps I am.  

You make some good points, but ultimately what is the skill level necessary to create fantasy points? I get that they may not be studs. I get you may not like Dak. But similarly talented WRs and worse QBs have produced fantasy relevant stats in the past. I just don’t see why it’s not worth a late/end draft pick just to see if he can be the “X” WR and run with it

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Beastyle, PPR (points per rap)

41 minutes ago, taobball said:

You make some good points, but ultimately what is the skill level necessary to create fantasy points? I get that they may not be studs. I get you may not like Dak. But similarly talented WRs and worse QBs have produced fantasy relevant stats in the past. I just don’t see why it’s not worth a late/end draft pick just to see if he can be the “X” WR and run with it

Gallup is certainly worth a late round flier.  What i've noticed is that if you review every draft that you've participated in, you'll see that most guys drafted from rounds 6+ end up on the waiver wire, so it's anyone's guess at that point and usually comes down to personal preference.  There was a good video posted (in the Dez thread maybe?) that really highlights and breaks down how poor Dak's vision is and how he really only see's half the field.  Dak regressed last year and no Cowboys WR was worth owning and starting with confidence.  He could turn over a new leaf, and open up the offense this year, but i'll probably be looking at my late round flier elsewhere.

11 hours ago, kdko said:

Gallup is certainly worth a late round flier.  What i've noticed is that if you review every draft that you've participated in, you'll see that most guys drafted from rounds 6+ end up on the waiver wire, so it's anyone's guess at that point and usually comes down to personal preference.  There was a good video posted (in the Dez thread maybe?) that really highlights and breaks down how poor Dak's vision is and how he really only see's half the field.  Dak regressed last year and no Cowboys WR was worth owning and starting with confidence.  He could turn over a new leaf, and open up the offense this year, but i'll probably be looking at my late round flier elsewhere.

I agree.  I’m avoid Cowboys WRs, and I actually like Dak as a QB (but not for fantasy)

D. J. Moore has more upside than Gallup as a rookie.  But I’ll be taking (most likely) a Jaguar WR as my last WR.  M. Lee is my first choice because of volume.  But, there’s a good chance 3 Jag WRs put up more points than Gallup, and 2 will likely go undrafted.  The last WR taken is often just a placeholder until someone breaks out.  I went with Keelan Cole for several weeks last year...

Gallup is the 3rd or 4th WR currently on the Cowboys.  That’s not draftable in my book...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kdko said:

17 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I agree.  I’m avoid Cowboys WRs, and I actually like Dak as a QB (but not for fantasy)

D. J. Moore has more upside than Gallup as a rookie.  But I’ll be taking (most likely) a Jaguar WR as my last WR.  M. Lee is my first choice because of volume.  But, there’s a good chance 3 Jag WRs put up more points than Gallup, and 2 will likely go undrafted.  The last WR taken is often just a placeholder until someone breaks out.  I went with Keelan Cole for several weeks last year...

Gallup is the 3rd or 4th WR currently on the Cowboys.  That’s not draftable in my book...

Personally, I have Gallup over DJ Moore. Newton has never been an overly fantasy friendly QB either and Olsen and Funchess are much greater passing threats. Hurns is the greatest passing threat on the Cowboys, and Hurns and Gallup are both new players on the team. And Funchess is more talented than Hurns. And no one on the Cowboys will have an Olsen sized role. Zeke will run MORE, but Carolina's obviously going to run with McCaffery a lot. And he's going to take more targets. 

In terms of the first post regarding the Boys offense as a whole, I agree with you it may not be that great, but again, the bottom line for fantasy relevance is that you don't need to be great. You don't even need to be good. 

There's going to be positional battles on this team obviously. Yes Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley are incumbents. But they aren't talented. Maybe it's just that simple to me. You guys seem to be acting like Beasley and Terrance Williams are going to be strong and legitimate road blocks. Neither one is particularly talented IMO, and I don't think the Cowboys feel that way either. Terrance Williams' entire value is that he's being paid nothing. That shouldn't effect his playing time at this point. They're trying to win. Gallup is the biggest investment in their future at the WR position they have. There's nothing holding him back if they believe he is as talented as Terrance Williams.

I cannot stress this enough. That mofo (Williams) can NOT catch with his HANDS. He has to trap every ball against his body. He has made bone headed moves at the last minute of games, I believe had an offseason issue this year, and again, I believe the entire theory of the Cowboys "liking" Williams comes completely from his contract. The Cowboys have an out before Williams' contract becomes more expensive next year. Do you think they pick it up? I don't think so. 

Once a player gets on the field, it's open season. There's not that much competition for this guy to get on the field. Unlike Newton, who has two trusted, established receivers, in likely sets with Hurns and Gallup, the best two WRs will both be new. 

The avenue for value for Gallup is just so much closer and more  obvious than DJ Moore's. If you overwhelmingly believe in Moore's talent, by all means. But the Cowboys with two, not-that-talented Holdovers and a brand-new "X" in Hurns is THE best place for rookie volume. Gallup has to perform, but I just don't believe we should view him as the "4th WR" because he could be the second or first before the season even starts. There's not that much holding him back IMO. 

• Like 2