JakeSarna

Corbin Martin HOU-SP

Figured I'd start a thread on him now that he was promoted to AA.

RHP Corbin Martin 6'3/22yrs/200lbs

Drafted in 2017 2nd round at #56 overall from Texas A&M. Has a 4 pitch mix Fastball, Curveball, Slider and Changeup.

Fastball: a plus pitch that he can pull back and throw up to 98-99mph but sits between 92-96mph in his starts. Struggles commanding it at times but this season seems to have solved his command issues with it. Anyone that watched him pitch at aTm knows that he seemed to always struggle with his command and control when starting but when he was relieving, he somehow was able to achieve better results in shorter bursts. The promotion to dubA should give a clearer picture on where he stands with it since he was clearly too advanced for HIA.

Curveball: a plus offering that is more of power curve with a nice swooping break in it. When his curveball is on, its easily his best pitch along with his out pitch. Martin gets most of his punchouts from his power curve. He commands his curve better then all his other pitches.

Slider: an above average offering that he still struggles to throw for strikes consistently. Has room for improvement but its still a 3rd quality pitch that continues to give him hope of sticking in the rotation. But he will have to continue improving it to prevent high walk rates as he moves up the ladder.

Changeup: Until this season I was of the belief that he would scrap this pitch. But from reading certain quotes from Buies Creek coaches, Martin has improved his changeup by leaps and bounds this year and throwing it more led to some impressive performances this season. I don't know how many times he averages throwing it in games this year but if it's true that his changeup has become a very good pitch, then Martins ceiling has become much bigger. His changeup has always had nice depth to it and a late tumble, so it's not completely unrealistic to hear it's improved like crazy but it was easily his worst pitch in the past especially in college. Im a college baseball junkie and I watched Martin pitch many times in his few seasons and I think I've only seen him throw his changeup a handful of times. I can't say how amazing it would be if he could turn his CH into atleast an above average offering.

Control and Command: Martin has always been criticised for inconsistent CC. Its the exact reason why he never remained in the aggies starting rotation permanently. But since he was drafted it's like something has clicked in his brain. The Astros didnt change anything dramatically in his windup/stretch mechanics except for some minor tweaks. That's why im very curious to see how it stands up in AA. There's no question Martin has amazing stuff and that he was too good for HIA but I want to see if the improvements to his CC were just a case of being too good for the competition.

I'm always skeptical of college pitchers who struggled with command and control in school but then all of sudden click in the lower minors. I guess we'll find out pretty soon. If it is for real...Martin has the chance to be a high risk/high strikeout #2 SP. But since it's already proven that his stuff plays way up in relief along with his command and control...he could eventually end up a legit 9th inning closer.

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Im holding out hope for a decent stater. Already picked him up a few weeks ago. Being in the Astros organization is a bump up too. His numbers seem ridiculous so far.

For what it it's worth, EL said he was one of the big time risers so far this year. He went on to say all the reports they've got on him have been really good. 

Edited by JenksDodger

I wonder if the Astros will take the training wheels off. They used to only use the tandem system below AA but the last couple of years they have continued to employ it on some pitching prospects all the way up until AAA. They might just do that with Martin.

I'm a huge fan of the tandem system and I believe it helps develop pitching prospects. The only issue is that they don't build up as much innings as pitching prospects in other systems which always leads to questions whether they can hold up a starters workload in the majors. 

Yeah that was a straight up beatdown. Hopefully and most likely it was the jittez. I didnt watch it on milb.tv but will check the archive this morning just to see what he looked like. I'm just stoked that he's in corpus Christi so we can actually watch the games...Buies creek sucks that it doesn't air their games on milb.tv

• Like 1

This offseason I spent weeks researching prospects for a dynasty league - mostly video "research".

most guys who popped on film, were already highly touted -- the guys you find in those top-100 lists. 

off the top of my head, a few that stood out on film, that seemed to be flying (somewhat) under the radar, were Corbin Martin, Khalil Lee (reminds me of a mini Polanco), Brent Rooker, and Andres Munoz.  

Martin's number were great last year, he throws wicked 'hahd, plays for an org that develops pitchers well, and looks like a beast in footage.

Everything was there, except recognition.

And because of my lack of faith in my own scouting eye, when it came time to crunch dynasty rosters, I ended up cutting Martin to make my roster legal (30 prospects total). Quickly regretted this decision when he got imminently scooped up - but fortunately I was able to re-acquire him this week, by flipping him to a contender (for Adeiny Hechavarria).

Long story short: I'm not sure what he's missing to be considered a valuable dynasty asset with considerable upside. Corbin Martin is on the rise. 

Edited by RotoBird

I think the fact that Whitley is an elite prospect and the Astros have ridiculous pitching right now might be part of the reason he's under the radar.

James Anderson said in his last podcast that he's bumped up to around 150

5 hours ago, RotoBird said:

This offseason I spent weeks researching prospects for a dynasty league - mostly video "research".

most guys who popped on film, were already highly touted -- the guys you find in those top-100 lists. 

off the top of my head, a few that stood out on film, that seemed to be flying (somewhat) under the radar, were Corbin Martin, Khalil Lee (reminds me of a mini Polanco), Brent Rooker, and Andres Munoz.  

Martin's number were great last year, he throws wicked 'hahd, plays for an org that develops pitchers well, and looks like a beast in footage.

Everything was there, except recognition.

And because of my lack of faith in my own scouting eye, when it came time to crunch dynasty rosters, I ended up cutting Martin to make my roster legal (30 prospects total). Quickly regretted this decision when he got imminently scooped up - but fortunately I was able to re-acquire him this week, by flipping him to a contender (for Adeiny Hechavarria).

Long story short: I'm not sure what he's missing to be considered a valuable dynasty asset with considerable upside. Corbin Martin is on the rise. 

I think the thing is that he needs to prove he can remain a starter. Hes such a good power reliever that some believe that even tho he can be starter, he should be a reliever because his stuff ticks up a lot and he has good command and control in shorter bursts.

The other area is proving his newfound control is real and continuing to do what he's doing in AA and above. If Martin continues pitching like he did in.HIA, he's shooting up lists next season.

I kind of see Corbin Martin this year as Jon Duplantier last year. Super dominant in the lower levels and their control problems from college somehow disappeared in the lower levels. But it must be done in the upper levels for some to believe in the prospect. No one questions their filthy stuff...it's their past below average command and control that most worry about rearing its head as the comp gets better

We'll find out shortly (on both of them)

Edited by JakeSarna

From fangraphs today 

Corbin Martin, RHP, Astros: The Houston Astros nabbed Martin in the second round of the 2017 draft and I was actually much more of a fan of this pick than I was of the club’s first round selection of J.B. Bukauskas. Both were college right-handers with questions around their abilities to stick in the starting rotation; Bukauskas is a little more electric while Martin has a deeper repertoire and a better overall size (ie. projected durability). And so far, the professional results favor Martin. He opened 2018 in high-A ball and, after, four appearances, moved up to double-A (where he got bombed in his first appearance). In high-A, he allowed just four hits and struck out 26 batters in 19 innings. On the downside, control issues crept up a bit and he walked seven. With a firm mid-90s heater, plus curve and two other average-or-better offerings to round out his repertoire, Martin has the makings of a No. 2 or 3 starter if his command/control can be even average.

Yay @garlando

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

I’m a fan, and the reason that @brockpapersizer tagged me above is that I likely sold him on Martin earlier this year haha. I liked him coming out of the draft as he’s got 2 out pitches in a plus curve that has really nice depth and falls underneath the hitter's bat consistently, and an above-average slider that flashes plus. Fastball sits in the low 90’s but can get up to the mid-upper 90’s at times in relief. Also has a changeup that has really improved and could be another average pitch for him. He has the repertoire to be a good starter, and I view him as a future high K mid-rotation guy that is being underrated in surprisingly deep Astros farm system. His numbers in A+ before his recent promotion to AA were/are very impressive! He posted a 0.00 ERA with a 12.32 K/9, 3.32 BB/9, and a 0.00 HR/9. That line was supported by a crazy .065 batting average against which was tops in the league and a well above-average 16.4% swinging strike rate (MLB average was 10.5% last year). Additionally, he induces groundballs at a very high rate as he has posted a mark between 58 and 60% at every stop so far in the minors. Groundballs + high K stuff is the dream combo!!! The stuff is there, the performance is there (he did get blown up in his first AA start), and he's starting to get the recognition now that he deserves. Likely is a big riser on prospect lists this year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Christopher (Houston): What are you hearing about Corbin Martin this year?

Josh Norris: I actually saw Corbin Martin in person this year with Buies Creek, and he was very intriguing. Easy mid-90s gas with the makings of two potential swing-and-miss offspeed pitches. He's had a pretty good year, disaster outing notwithstanding in his Double-A debut.

• Like 3

Just what Houston needs, more stud prospects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Just what Houston needs, more stud prospects.

Lol - I saw a name in the MiLB forum with HOU and SP next to it and thought I'd come have a chuckle

• Haha 1

Monster game. A lot to like with this kid. Per @garlando 's post earlier, having potentially 2 good/-great out-pitches with a 4 pitch repetoire in one of the best orgs is a guy to take notice of. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Monster game. A lot to like with this kid. Per @garlando 's post earlier, having potentially 2 good/-great out-pitches with a 4 pitch repetoire in one of the best orgs is a guy to take notice of. 

He’s been on my radar for a bit. I’d love to pick him up but have no room. He’s going to have a great shot at being a solid big league starter.