Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

I really have no clue what to make of the GB backfield. Williams looked like a star in the making Weeks 12-14, but is this guy even going to be fantasy relevant this year?

4 minutes ago, Geaux Saints said:

I really have no clue what to make of the GB backfield. Williams looked like a star in the making Weeks 12-14, but is this guy even going to be fantasy relevant this year?

What about Montgomery and jones? Too difficult to predict 

Taking Jamaal Williams is a swing for the fences. You have a decent chance of striking out (RBBC, Veteran signing, etc.), but you could hit a home run if he's the guy in a Rodgers led offense. 

I like Williams quite a bit better, but I think if you own one, you need to own both. That hurts the value of both. 

Whoever started in that backfield seemed to thrive. Wasn't it TY trying hurt that opened up the lane for Williams followed by jones as Williams was dinged up?

i would think TY would get the nod first

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Whoever started in that backfield seemed to thrive. Wasn't it TY trying hurt that opened up the lane for Williams followed by jones as Williams was dinged up?

Probably, but way too many ifs for me. 

44 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Montgomery is currently third on most depth charts I see online. Anything is possible, but I think Williams has the better chance to earn the starting spot. 

6 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Jones > Williams IMO

As a runner. 

Williams protects Rodgers, better receiver, decent runner.  I think he'll have the inside track to the starting job. 

I'm getting him in best ball drafts a ton.  GB's starting RB will produce, and they're super cheap this year. Montgomery isn't even a factor anymore -- can't stay healthy so we never even learned if he could pass protect. 

For the record, not even Montgomery expects Montgomery to be the lead back. 

"With the emergence of Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams at running back, Ty Montgomery also expects to be used as an overall threat in 2018.

'I wouldn't be surprised if, maybe, I'm spending time in both [running back and wide receivers] rooms. I'm excited to see how creative we can get this year.'"

Monty could have some PPR value as pass catcher, but I really doubt he ends up being the Packers starting running back in 2018. 

5 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Someone thinking intelligently

4 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Probably, but way too many ifs for me. 

2017 AVG (PFF grade)

Jamaal Williams = 3.6 (below average)

Ty Montgomery = 3.8 (average)

Aaron Jones = 5.5 (above average)

Best odds

Aaron Jones is the 1st & 2nd down back

Jamaal Williams is the 3rd down back

Ty Montgomery fills in as needed

All 3 backs have injury concerns.  All lack upside unless another is injured.  All have the potential to be inconsistent for fantasy, but Aaron Jones is the best bet if you can only pick one.  If you can pick 2: Jones + Williams.

None of these backs are guys you want as your #1 or #2 RB unless you draft Zero RB, and can take both.  I think the better strategy is take your stud RBs early, and avoid the situation.  Then take whatever rookie you favor for upside as your #3.  

If you’re betting on Ty Montgomery you’re betting on him soaking up some of Jordy’s targets.  Consistency is a big problem.  The stats say Williams is the better receiver vs. Montgomery.  That’s not a good sign for Montgomery acting in his WR role.

Another complication is when these 3 played last year, we don’t know if they played injured.  The only thing clear is Jones is the best runner.

Aaron Jones could also face league discipline in a speeding/smoking marijuana incident late last year.

That means we’ll have to wait and see, but that might make Jones a good value if you were only planning to use him as a bye week guy.  Also, if Jones is suspended 4 games Montgomery is a good upside bet those weeks.  If you have a stud RB starting the year less than 100%, Montgomery would make a great fillin.

14 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Someone thinking intelligently

More likely it was a Jones injury that started the whole mess rolling.  I wouldn’t bet on TY, see ^

4 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

As a runner. 

Williams protects Rodgers, better receiver, decent runner.  I think he'll have the inside track to the starting job. 

Jamaal was one of the best pass blockers of his class so ill give way there, even tho i dont think aaron is a slouch either. But what makes you think hes a better reciever? Jones was utilized more in the recieving game in college, even if jamaal was used more this past year - mostly due to more opportunity. Ive always thought jones was the more versatile back tbh.

10 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Jamaal was one of the best pass blockers of his class so ill give way there, even tho i dont think aaron is a slouch either. But what makes you think hes a better reciever? Jones was utilized more in the recieving game in college, even if jamaal was used more this past year - mostly due to more opportunity. Ive always thought jones was the more versatile back tbh.

Ignorance and unconscious bias. 

Anyways, I still like grabbing both of these guys for their price in best balls. Hope we get some clarity in camp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Ignorance and unconscious bias. 

Anyways, I still like grabbing both of these guys for their price in best balls. Hope we get some clarity in camp. 

Coming out of college Jones was considered a potential 3 down back with decent blocking.  Both Williams and Jones should be good blockers, but I don’t have the stats comparing the two (blocking) in the NFL.  After Rodgers came back GB seemed to favor Jones...

Jones in college was a decent receiver, but in the NFL he hasn’t show much.

Both guys should have good games, so in “best ball” taking both makes sense...

On 5/6/2018 at 12:08 PM, seanismorris said:

Coming out of college Jones was considered a potential 3 down back with decent blocking.  Both Williams and Jones should be good blockers, but I don’t have the stats comparing the two (blocking) in the NFL.  After Rodgers came back GB seemed to favor Jones...

Jones in college was a decent receiver, but in the NFL he hasn’t show much.

Both guys should have good games, so in “best ball” taking both makes sense...

Half our predictions are always wrong, but I see the GB offense frantically chasing points all season.  ARod is going to be forced to sling it 24/7.  If that's what we end up seeing, in PPR (all I play) I want the best pass-down/2 minute RB in the house.    The value I attach to the selection approaches dart throw territory, but my crystal ball, foggy as it always is, has me thinking TY could surprise in PPR, followed closely by Jones.  

In short, GB's defensive woes, which I predict will be substantial (2 rookie CBs for heaven's sake), will dictate what happens offensively IMO.  More than ever, ARod (who calls all the shots) will demand WRs in his backfield, if they can pass protect.  If TY has not gotten better at that, he'll be deployed frequently as a 3rd, 4th or 5th WR, so both he and Jones may see the field together alot.  

Hence, with ARod throwing 50 times each and every game, I'm thinking that both TY and Jones could have sneaky value in PPR.  More than any other team, I do not believe that GB lends itself to traditional run/pass analysis.  With ARod as the defacto OC, and a defense poised to bleed points, it is a very unique circumstance there.  I am approaching it accordingly.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Geaux Saints said:

How are we feeling about Williams now that Aaron Jones is in the doghouse? 

Now the second best GB RB instead of third best.

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Now the second best GB RB instead of third best.

Your infatuation with Montgomery is amusing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, devaster said:

Your infatuation with Montgomery is amusing.

It won't be once the real games start. 

Williams did nothing with Rodgers as QB, and has never outplayed Montgomery when both were healthy.  Good luck.