Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

I think the Montgomery experiment as a pure RB is largely over. He is a hybrid player that doesn't fit as purely a RB or WR. I think the Packers will deploy him as such. That shouldn't eat into Williams' production as a RB though. Montgomery is not going to see carries inside the 10.

 

There is no reason the Packers can't support all of them. Aaron Jones, on the other hand, is going to be a change of pace and cuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

You guys say Williams, I say Jones. Let’s wait and see who’s right once the dust settles. That’s the great thing about FF! 

 

Heck yeah man!   It’s finally football time!!!

 

even tho I’m team Williams-  this is a great time to hedge that bet and get jones cheap.  

 

Monty isn’t a concern as more than a gadget player who will tote the rock occasionally and catch a few passes.   More useful IRL

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People in here seem to forget that the NFL is very "what have you done for me lately?" 

 

With that in mind, I don't care how much better Jones owners think Jones is than Williams. It won't matter if Williams performs well in pass protection, on first down and in short yardage situations including goal line but mostly in pass protection. What you don't seem to get is that the Packers need someone to play strong in pass protection, sorry but I'm going to keep hammering that. That's the only thing they really need and provided Williams does that and doesn't lose the ball, he's going along for the ride with Rodgers. The BIG year McCarthy eluded to is due to him protecting the best player in the league who happens to also be the highest paid. Get this in your head guys: the RB role in Green Bay is about pass protection. Production is second place here, Rodgers is the offense. 

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Only a handful of veteran running backs were more reliable in pass protection than Green Bay Packers rookie Jamaal Williams last season.

 

According to Sports Info Solutions, Williams missed a block on only 1.3 percent of his pass-blocking snaps last season, which ranked behind only Ezekiel Elliott, Todd Gurley, Matt Forte and Lamar Miller

 

Quote

 

Pro Football Focus gave Williams the fourth-highest pass-blocking grade among running backs with at least 60 pass-blocking snaps last season. 

 

Expect Williams’ reliability as a blocker to ensure he’s on the field plenty in 2018, especially during high-pressure passing downs. Coach Mike McCarthy and quarterback Aaron Rodgers place huge value on a reliable pass-blocking running back. After a standout rookie season in the backfield, Williams appears to have the role locked down.

 

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/packers-jamaal-williams-among-nfls-best-pass-blocking-rbs-in-2017/

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems plausible that it could become sort of a Freeman/Coleman situation in GB, with Jones filling the Coleman role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, nobody really knows how this is gonna play out. Williams has the opp to stick, but he absolutely needs to put some good runs on film the first 2 weeks. The match-ups are difficult but not awful. He's never gonna see a stacked box outside of a jumbo formation, he can't simply plod around and fall forward. I believe his YPC last year is not really indicative of his talent and was mostly situational/a result of terrible qb/line play. Jones is the real deal as a runner and yes pass blocking matters, but MM is not so stubborn that he will mothball Jones when Williams leaves yards on the field.

Edited by ST. STEVEN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

People in here seem to forget that the NFL is very "what have you done for me lately?" 

 

With that in mind, I don't care how much better Jones owners think Jones is than Williams. It won't matter if Williams performs well in pass protection, on first down and in short yardage situations including goal line but mostly in pass protection. What you don't seem to get is that the Packers need someone to play strong in pass protection, sorry but I'm going to keep hammering that. That's the only thing they really need and provided Williams does that and doesn't lose the ball, he's going along for the ride with Rodgers. The BIG year McCarthy eluded to is due to him protecting the best player in the league who happens to also be the highest paid. Get this in your head guys: the RB role in Green Bay is about pass protection. Production is second place here, Rodgers is the offense. 

 

I agree, and I say that as someone who has historically been on the side of the more explosive "pure runner" in these sort of playing time battles. I think I'm slowly but surely starting to learn that betting on pure talent has it's place. But real life NFL teams are mainly concerned with winning football games and protecting their biggest assets (typically QB) from injury. They also have to recognize that a single mistake or missed assignment can turn a W into a L, or expose another player to injury. 

 

Running backs are considered replaceable, but the rare players who know their role and consistently execute tend to have job security.

 

Also the "pure talent" we seek in fantasy (speed, gamebreaking ability, etc...) ignores the "pure talent" that NFL coaching staffs and front offices may see in a player who blocks well, knows the playbook inside and out, reacts quickly and accurately to what he sees in front of him, etc... Much harder to measure when all we care about is yards and TDs, but it's what keeps some guys on the field and keeps others on the sidelines. 

Edited by mjb03003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Look, nobody really knows how this is gonna play out. Williams has the opp to stick, but he absolutely needs to put some good runs on film the first 2 weeks. The match-ups are difficult but not awful. He's never gonna see a stacked box outside of a jumbo formation, he can't simply plod around and fall forward. I believe his YPC last year is not really indicative of his talent and was mostly situational/a result of terrible qb/line play. Jones is the real deal as a runner and yes pass blocking matters, but MM is not so stubborn that he will mothball Jones when Williams leaves yards on the field.

If Rodgers gets hurt it doesn't matter who is the lead back. There's nothing stubborn about going with the elite blocker. If the system calls for a guy to protect the best player in the world then its simply a logical choice to go with Williams. Williams was top five as a rookie and many backs don't figure out pass blocking until a few years in. He may be the best pass blocking RB in the league this year, it's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Spyplane said:

If Rodgers gets hurt it doesn't matter who is the lead back. There's nothing stubborn about going with the elite blocker. If the system calls for a guy to protect the best player in the world then its simply a logical choice to go with Williams. Williams was top five as a rookie and many backs don't figure out pass blocking until a few years in. He may be the best pass blocking RB in the league this year, it's possible.

Best player in the world? He get traded to the Pats? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brosephd said:

does williams catch passes? coulda sworn he did last year

 

Only when Montgomery was out or Rodgers wasn't starting.  Facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 11:21 AM, Fried Pork Grind said:

You guys say Williams, I say Jones. Let’s wait and see who’s right once the dust settles. That’s the great thing about FF! 

 

You're both wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

 

Only when Montgomery was out or Rodgers wasn't starting.  Facts.

Yeah...let's disregard half of their  rookie season because the starting QB got hurt.  

 

Makes sense.

Edited by psygolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Yeah...let's disregard half of their  rookie season because the starting QB got hurt.  

 

Makes sense.

 

Nope. Williams didn't catch passes from Rodgers even when he returned. It's called research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

Nope. Williams didn't catch passes from Rodgers even when he returned. It's called research.

I was addressing your bad assumption that neither Williams or Jones will be the rb to own in '18

Edited by psygolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

Nope. Williams didn't catch passes from Rodgers even when he returned. It's called research.

Can you post your research for games all 3 rbs & Rodgers suited up for the GB rb owners.  (it wouldn't be for my benefit)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Can you post your research for games all 3 rbs & Rodgers suited up for the GB rb owners.  (it wouldn't be for my benefit)

 

I'll leave that to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cdd10 said:

Best player in the world? He get traded to the Pats? lol

Whatever you think, it doesn't change my rock solid point of why Williams is the guy unless he gets hurt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

 

I'll leave that to you.

You can't post numbers that don't exist...nice try.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Yeah...let's disregard half of their  rookie season because the starting QB got hurt.  

 

Makes sense.

 

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

Nope. Williams didn't catch passes from Rodgers even when he returned. It's called research.

 

Rodgers played one game after returning from injury (in Week 15). It's true that Williams didn't catch a pass from Rodgers in that game...but one game is not exactly a large sample size. Also, I watched that game and think it was pretty evident to anyone who did watch, that the entire GB offense was out of sync, with Rodgers coming back quite rusty (he threw 3 INT's). 

 

Before Rodgers got hurt and despite extremely-limited action, Williams caught a pass from Rodgers in Week 2. And then when he came on in Week 4 to replace an injured Montgomery, Williams caught another pass from Rodgers (before Williams got hurt himself).

 

Those are the facts. 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corleone said:

 

 

Rodgers played one game after returning from injury (in Week 15). It's true that Williams didn't catch a pass from Rodgers in that game...but one game is not exactly a large sample size. Also, I watched that game and think it was pretty evident to anyone who did watch, that the entire GB offense was out of sync, with Rodgers coming back quite rusty (he threw 3 INT's). 

 

Before Rodgers got hurt and despite extremely-limited action, Williams caught a pass from Rodgers in Week 2. And then when he came on in Week 4 to replace an injured Montgomery, Williams caught another pass from Rodgers (before Williams got hurt himself).

 

Those are the facts. 

And they are refreshing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Corleone said:

 

 

Rodgers played one game after returning from injury (in Week 15). It's true that Williams didn't catch a pass from Rodgers in that game...but one game is not exactly a large sample size. Also, I watched that game and think it was pretty evident to anyone who did watch, that the entire GB offense was out of sync, with Rodgers coming back quite rusty (he threw 3 INT's). 

 

Before Rodgers got hurt and despite extremely-limited action, Williams caught a pass from Rodgers in Week 2. And then when he came on in Week 4 to replace an injured Montgomery, Williams caught another pass from Rodgers (before Williams got hurt himself).

 

Those are the facts. 

 

And wasn't even targeted by Rodgers, despite Montgomery being out. 

 

But hes he's going to see receiving volume from Rodgers now that TyMont is healthy. LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

And wasn't even targeted by Rodgers, despite Montgomery being out. 

 

But hes he's going to see receiving volume from Rodgers now that TyMont is healthy. LOL.

 

By your logic of going by a sample size of that one game, right after Rodgers returned from injury, then the Packers are also going to go 0-16. Because they lost in Week 15. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...