Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

And wasn't even targeted by Rodgers, despite Montgomery being out. 

But hes he's going to see receiving volume from Rodgers now that TyMont is healthy. LOL.

Counting on a healthy TyMont...now that's funny!    He might be a good occasional play in a DFS.

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Counting on a healthy TyMont...now that's funny!    He might be a good occasional play in a DFS.

They gave Montgomery an extended shot at being a full-blown three down back and he proved he could not handle that. He's a dynamic player to be sure, but he can't handle being a focal point. I'm glad they have him and I hope he holds up this year in a more strategic opportunistic deployment.

2 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

They gave Montgomery an extended shot at being a full-blown three down back and he proved he could not handle that. He's a dynamic player to be sure, but he can't handle being a focal point. I'm glad they have him and I hope he holds up this year in a more strategic opportunistic deployment.

Because he lasted longer than Dalvin Cook did in the same role? 

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

Because he lasted longer than Dalvin Cook did in the same role? 

He's not as talented as Cook. He's not built like Cook. He doesn't play like Cook. The team isn't invested in him like the Vikings are in Cook. Any questions?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

He's not as talented as Cook. He's not built like Cook. He doesn't play like Cook. The team isn't invested in him like the Vikings are in Cook. Any questions?

Wrong. Wrong. Not yet. 

And you still evaded my question. TyMont is more durable than Cook.

We'll talk about this in a few weeks.

Edited by joshua18

Wrong. Wrong. Not yet. 

And you still evaded my question. TyMont is more durable than Cook.

We'll talk about this in a few weeks.

What happened to Cook was a freak thing. Anyone can get hurt, there's no pattern here and so you can't honestly stand by that statement.

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

What happened to Cook was a freak thing. Anyone can get hurt, there's no pattern here and so you can't honestly stand by that statement.

4 major surgeries in the past 5 seasons is a "freak thing"? Good luck with that logic. 

12 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

4 major surgeries in the past 5 seasons is a "freak thing"? Good luck with that logic. 

You might want to make your way over to the Dalvin Cook or Ty Montgomery thread. Seems like you've very little to say about Williams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, LongBalls said:

You might want to make your way over to the Dalvin Cook or Ty Montgomery thread. Seems like you've very little to say about Williams.

So because you can't refute my point about Montgomery's inflated injury proneness, you ask me to leave. ? 

Williams isn't the best RB on his team. He'll get early down work because of McCarthy's hype, but the cream will rise to the top. I pity those who truly believe Williams will be a three-down RB.

53 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

So because you can't refute my point about Montgomery's inflated injury proneness, you ask me to leave. ? 

I don't think it has anything to do with your opinion of Ty vs Williams

...I just think he wants you to leave.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Williams isn't the best RB on his team. He'll get early down work because of McCarthy's hype, but the cream will rise to the top. I pity those who truly believe Williams will be a three-down RB.

No you were literally talking about completely unrelated players in the wrong thread. Nobody cares about a Dalvin Cook vs. Ty Montgomery comparison in here. And it's a bad comparison, by the way.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Thanks 1

pass blocking is king...williams is the guy...all you moore people go back to his thread...guy is a tough runner who performed well last year and should do even better with rodgers...thats all you need to know

GB just paid Aaron Rodgers a $180 million contract.  Keeping Rodgers upright will be GB's primary objective, ahead of skill, speed, explosiveness, talent, etc etc.  Jamaal Williams was a top 5 pass blocker in the 2017 season.  If he can keep that up, he will stay on the field and get his heavy workload.

For all those saying Williams sucks / is not the most talented RB in the backfield, you're missing the point.  These things won't matter if Williams continues his pass-blocking dominance.

2 hours ago, LongBalls said:

No you were literally talking about completely unrelated players in the wrong thread. Nobody cares about a Dalvin Cook vs. Ty Montgomery comparison in here. And it's a bad comparison, by the way.

You will once Montgomery outproduces Williams. I'll be back to remind you when he does.

Just now, joshua18 said:

You will once Montgomery outproduces Williams. I'll be back to remind you when he does.

You keep saying that despite all evidence to the contrary.    

I have no stake in the GB battle...I was just showing the crowd that you were putting up fake #s

Just now, psygolf said:

I have no stake in the GB battle...I was just showing the crowd that you were putting up fake #s

No I wasn't. See you all in the Vent and Rant thread.

We'll see you in the funny papers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Balthazar said:

GB just paid Aaron Rodgers a $180 million contract.  Keeping Rodgers upright will be GB's primary objective, ahead of skill, speed, explosiveness, talent, etc etc.  Jamaal Williams was a top 5 pass blocker in the 2017 season.  If he can keep that up, he will stay on the field and get his heavy workload.

For all those saying Williams sucks / is not the most talented RB in the backfield, you're missing the point.  These things won't matter if Williams continues his pass-blocking dominance.

OFFS then they ought to just put the extra lineman back there. It does matter that Williams is a great pass blocker, it was a no doubt proven metric from last season. Still there is no way he can leave yards out on the field like he did last year. Jones will get his chance if he does, they are not that stubborn. Jones can catch and pass block too, he might have actually closed the gap between he and Williams by improving in these areas...

45 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I like to pick players who have been hyped up by the coaches and players. You know some one who actually knows something about football. 

Coach Mike McCarthy told media that second-year back Jamaal Williams has progressed nicely, and is in for a "big year" with the offense back to full strength.

"He's really poised to have a big year," McCarthy said of Williams, via ESPN.com. "Clearly without playing a game yet, I think we'll be talking about him at the end of the season as a second-year player that's made the jump."

Williams, selected in the fourth round of last year's draft out of BYU, rushed for 556 yards and four touchdowns on 153 carries as a rookie in 2017. The Packers will also use Aaron Jones and converted wide receiver Ty Montgomery, but Williams is in line to start Week 1 and could run away with the job.

"Jamaal was a heckuva player last year for us as a rookie, and now he's just so comfortable," McCarthy said. "He's so consistent, and like most rookies that go through an offseason, he's had a chance to catch his breath.

"You remember these guys come out of college, they're training for their senior year. They come out of college, they're training for the draft. They get drafted, then they've got to shift their training. They go to an NFL club, they roll all the way into the longest season of their life. So then, boom, it's done. They catch their breath, but now you can see just the way he's developed physically."

• Like 4

people doubting williams haven't been paying attention. dude's gettin getting better. he's the perfect fit for what packer's scheme. sure, he might not be as explosive as jones but he's more reliable and a better pass blocker and possibly catcher. his workmanship is the kind of thing that builds trust with his coaches and qb. he has the chance to run away with the job, especially if rodger's appreciates williams keeping him a bit cleaner. even monty has acknowledged he may see more a third down role and be back at wr at times. he hasn't been a pillar of good health himself either so ideally a committee approach keeps all three healthier this year. i expect that and i expect williams to lead the committee

• Like 6

Receiving stats for all 3 GB RB's last year...

Player A: 18 targets - 9 catches - 22 yards (2.4 AVG) - Long of 9 yards - 2 first downs - 0 TD's

Player B: 30 targets - 23 catches - 173 yards - (7.5 AVG) - Long of 23 yards - 8 first downs (34.8% first down rate) - 1 TD

Player C: 34 targets - 25 catches - 262 yards - (10.5 AVG) - Long of 54 yards - 12 first downs (48% first down rate) - 2 TD's

There are some people who automatically Montgomery is the superior receiver amongst the 3 GB RB's. So Montgomery must be Player C then, right? 

Player A is Jones. Player B is Montgomery. Player C is Williams.

Williams was the most explosive receiver amongst all the GB RB's last year. In fact, Montgomery has never had as explosive a year as a receiver, as Williams had in his rookie season. Mongtomery's highest average in yards per catch is 9.1 in 2015 (followed by 7.9 in 2016, and last year's 7.5). The longest catch of his career has gone for 31 yards. He's moved the chains for a first down on 40.2% of the catches in his career. He has 3 TD's out his 82 catches during his 3-year career. All of those numbers and averages are worse than what Williams achieved. So when you combine that with the universal assessment that Williams is the best pass protector of the trio, Williams really adds a lot more value to the Green Bay Packers than some people seem to think. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corleone said:

Receiving stats for all 3 GB RB's last year...

Player A: 18 targets - 9 catches - 22 yards (2.4 AVG) - Long of 9 yards - 2 first downs - 0 TD's

Player B: 30 targets - 23 catches - 173 yards - (7.5 AVG) - Long of 23 yards - 8 first downs (34.8% first down rate) - 1 TD

Player C: 34 targets - 25 catches - 262 yards - (10.5 AVG) - Long of 54 yards - 12 first downs (48% first down rate) - 2 TD's

There are some people who automatically Montgomery is the superior receiver amongst the 3 GB RB's. So Montgomery must be Player C then, right? 

Player A is Jones. Player B is Montgomery. Player C is Williams.

Williams was the most explosive receiver amongst all the GB RB's last year. In fact, Montgomery has never had as explosive a year as a receiver, as Williams had in his rookie season. Mongtomery's highest average in yards per catch is 9.1 in 2015 (followed by 7.9 in 2016, and last year's 7.5). The longest catch of his career has gone for 31 yards. He's moved the chains for a first down on 40.2% of the catches in his career. He has 3 TD's out his 82 catches during his 3-year career. All of those numbers and averages are worse than what Williams achieved. So when you combine that with the universal assessment that Williams is the best pass protector of the trio, Williams really adds a lot more value to the Green Bay Packers than some people seem to think. 

Looks like this is the GB rb thread to follow for at least the first 4 games

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Looks like this is the GB rb thread to follow for at least the first 4 games

Jones is only suspended 2 games I believe.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

Jones is only suspended 2 games I believe.

My bad...I have nothing vested in GB this year