Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's going nowhere against the Vikes next week...he might be in big trouble when Jones comes back

He doesn't need to post big numbers. He needs to pass protect well. Rodgers cannot have another week like this one. It's amazing he can still play.

1 hour ago, disasterisk said:

nah man he is great at pass blocking. 

Haha. The fact that this is what people are grasping on to in order to maintain hope I think tells you all you need to know about his outlook. RB1 in pass block leagues though. 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

He doesn't need to post big numbers. He needs to pass protect well. Rodgers cannot have another week like this one. It's amazing he can still play.

Rodgers injury didn't even look that bad. 

I think Williams will have a significant role; but I don't see it happening next week against the Vikings.  The 49ers had success using Breida and opening it up some...I think it leans towards more Montgomery next week.  So with what I think 2 straight poor weeks and Jones returning, I'm thinking I'm better off dropping Williams this week for a hot waiver wire add.

drop the back the coaching staff has been hyping all summer and is fully aware of how brutal the first 2 matchups will have been? not like Williams didn't average ~100 total yards in a terrible offense last year in his starts

dropping him in week 2 ... wow. 

[i'm not playing him vs MIN, but c'mon]

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

drop the back the coaching staff has been hyping all summer and is fully aware of how brutal the first 2 matchups will have been? not like Williams didn't average ~100 total yards in a terrible offense last year in his starts

dropping him in week 2 ... wow. 

[i'm not playing him vs MIN, but c'mon]

He's my worst RB, I was lucky enough to draft Conner.  So until Bell is back, I don't see myself ever starting him over McCaffery, Miller, Conner or Thompson..so I think I'd rather have another WR to use than a 5th RB.

5 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

He's my worst RB, I was lucky enough to draft Conner.  So until Bell is back, I don't see myself ever starting him over McCaffery, Miller, Conner or Thompson..so I think I'd rather have another WR to use than a 5th RB.

I kind of feel you looking at your roster but then again its a 14 team league so I'm not sure I'd be so quick to drop him since his current trade value is likely better than anyone on waivers. I think he is a hold though. Admittedly if I had paid attention to his schedule instead of just the fact Jones was suspended I probably wouldn't own him as widely as I do but with him you are still banking on him emerging from this RBBC. Certainly doesn't appear he'll do himself any justice in these first 2 games but it is still a open competition after that. 

Edited by Jaw1

6 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

2 of those backs have a week 4 bye ... conner is a huge wildcard ... I'd hold, but good luck 

Hyping up all off season? There was one quote from McCarthy saying Williams was "poised to have a big year." Off season coach speak means little to nothing and has proven to mean nothing time and time again. What is a coach supposed to say about one of his young players when a reporter asks him if he is going to have a good season? No, I think he's going to mediocre at best this year?

Williams is a very average player who only excels in pass protection and is merely a #2 running back on an NFL roster. He doesn't do anything particularly well (excluding pass protection) and is in the Robert Turbin mold. Too many people look at his fantasy points from last season for a handful of weeks and assume he was a good player without ever actually watching him play. 

He's fine for what he is but he is not a starting RB caliber player in the NFL. 

Edited by munde53

8 hours ago, munde53 said:

Hyping up all off season? There was one quote from McCarthy saying Williams was "poised to have a big year." Off season coach speak means little to nothing and has proven to mean nothing time and time again. What is a coach supposed to say about one of his young players when a reporter asks him if he is going to have a good season? No, I think he's going to mediocre at best this year?

Williams is a very average player who only excels in pass protection and is merely a #2 running back on an NFL roster. He doesn't do anything particularly well (excluding pass protection) and is in the Robert Turbin mold. Too many people look at his fantasy points from last season for a handful of weeks and assume he was a good player without ever actually watching him play. 

He's fine for what he is but he is not a starting RB caliber player in the NFL. 

Yeah I was initially low on him and high on Jones before Williams' ADP started to rise but still got tempted to grab him in two leagues. He certainly isn't anything special and I think most people realized those big numbers he put up were a product of the immense volume he saw and wrote off how woefully inefficient he was with defenses not respecting the pass. I ultimately fell for the narrative that with Rodgers at the helm his efficiency and opportunities would be much better and that with Jones suspended he could theoretically distance himself from Jones if he played well enough that there was no reason to replace him. If I had looked a little closer and seen who he was playing those first two weeks then that argument starts to really fall apart and if you look at the tape you see the guy just isn't that great of a runner and his lack of vision really hurts his ability to take advantage of any holes that Rodgers might create. 

My money is still on this backfield turning into a 3-way RBBC that will have some good days but good luck predicting who and when. Williams isn't going to be the preferred receiving back and he doesn't really have the big play ability to reliably do a lot unless he is getting 15+ carries so he'll likely have to retain the GL back role to retain RB3/flex value. I think his pass protection guarantees he won't completely disappear from the backfield and thus will be a thorn in the side of Jones and to a lesser extent TyMont but I don't think it means that Williams will have fantasy relevance especially in relation to where he was drafted. 

Edited by Jaw1

11 hours ago, cdd10 said:

Rodgers injury didn't even look that bad. 

I'd like to hear your definition of bad. Considering he was helped off the field. inspected and sent back on a cart. The replay showed a 300lbs many landing on his leg and bending his knee sideways.The commentators and analysts were talking as though he just died. Were you watching the game live?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I'd like to hear your definition of bad. Considering he was helped off the field. inspected and sent back on a cart. The replay showed a 300lbs many landing on his leg and bending his knee sideways.The commentators and analysts were talking as though he just died. Were you watching the game live?

bad = a lot worse than rodgers injury looked. 

well looks like a firm sit this week.  not just because MIN is a tough defense,  but simply because i think if Rodgers plays he will most certainly be limited in his mobility, and they will have to scheme to use him as an extra pass protector for most of the game,  the running game for GB in week 2 may look like short dumps and screens to Cobb, Monte, and Adams.  could look a lot like how NE use to use that short passing game as a substitute for the run game

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

well looks like a firm sit this week.  not just because MIN is a tough defense,  but simply because i think if Rodgers plays he will most certainly be limited in his mobility, and they will have to scheme to use him as an extra pass protector for most of the game,  the running game for GB in week 2 may look like short dumps and screens to Cobb, Monte, and Adams.  could look a lot like how NE use to use that short passing game as a substitute for the run game

Pretty much a carbon copy of week one.   Good analysis-  definitely sitting for me.    

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Pretty much a carbon copy of week one.   Good analysis-  definitely sitting for me.    

not to say he doesn't slip out for a few passes himself, but i don't see enough volume this week. he will be very TD dependent and there are plenty of options out there right now with a better week 2 outlook

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Panthor said:

not to say he doesn't slip out for a few passes himself, but i don't see enough volume this week. he will be very TD dependent and there are plenty of options out there right now with a better week 2 outlook

Sounds like 7 ppr pts waiting to happen

i dont have the all 32 film but it looked like against chicago he had no room to run at all...this week he is sitting for the butler...wish we had a better schedule for the start of the season...really freaking brutal...i honestly wouldnt be surprised if they sit rodgers this week but its a division match so part of me says i doubt they will

41 minutes ago, Power-O said:

i dont have the all 32 film but it looked like against chicago he had no room to run at all...this week he is sitting for the butler...wish we had a better schedule for the start of the season...really freaking brutal...i honestly wouldnt be surprised if they sit rodgers this week but its a division match so part of me says i doubt they will

his second carry was went for like 9 yards.  it was just a very bad first half for the the offense.  so i wouldn't read too much into  his  efficiency.  i still like him for the season, but week 2 looks like a sit week given Rodgers  situation and the front 7 they are facing, lots of blocking is in his future for this game.

i can remember several plays where Williams was basically playing bodyguard for Rodgers and standing in front of him and picking up whoever got close

Edited by Panthor

8 minutes ago, Panthor said:

his second carry was went for like 9 yards.  it was just a very bad first half for the the offense.  so i wouldn't read too much into  his  efficiency.  i still like him for the season, but week 2 looks like a sit week given Rodgers  situation and the front 7 they are facing, lots of blocking is in his future for this game.

i can remember several plays where Williams was basically playing bodyguard for Rodgers and standing in front of him and picking up whoever got close

Yep- u just can’t take chances with him already hobbled.  

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Yep- u just can’t take chances with him already hobbled.  

yeah that monster block he made that chris collinsworth pointed out was huge...beastly

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cdd10 said:

bad = a lot worse than rodgers injury looked. 

You mean his leg would have to come off?

48 minutes ago, Power-O said:

yeah that monster block he made that chris collinsworth pointed out was huge...beastly

and it will be that kind of play that keeps him in the starting lineup with the majority of snaps over Jones.  because this team can live with modest production from the RB position it cannot live with Kizer back there taking snaps.